TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 2.7l Taco pushing 190k that just started making some strange sounds when I start to get close to 3k rpms. It sounds as if a belt is loose but it could be something totally different. I am not a mechanical mind so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :) :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
welcome to the site, can you describe strange sounds?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or even squeeking when i get to around 2900 rpms. If i let off gas the sound stops. I havent wanted to take to dealership and pay out the a** but I might have to.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,405 Posts
Might be getting some slack in the timing chain or have worn out chain guides. Can this noise be heard in the cab? Can you narrow down where the noise is coming from?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The noise is definitely heard from the cab. to me it sounds like a fan belt that squeeks loud when i rev up to 3k rpm. ALSO NOTE: my check engine light comes on and off and it is the oxygen sensors that are bad

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,405 Posts
Ok, so sounds like a pulley bearing is going bad. Do you wheel in the mud? The A/C idler pulley is the lowest pulley hanging just below the a/c compressor. It's common for that one to get mud contamination and go bad. I've also had the front bearing on my alternator go bad and that squealed at low RPMs and went away at higher RPMs.

Have you also checked your drive belts for wear and proper tension?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wheel in the mud but its been 6 months and I don't go often. the a/c idler pulley huh? how hard to change?

·
Registered
77 Posts
JCMIKE said:
I wheel in the mud but its been 6 months and I don't go often. the a/c idler pulley huh? how hard to change?

easy. 1 bolt. i did it before. thats what it sounds like but check your belts first. they sound the same

·
Registered
77 Posts
ShowStop said:
Might be getting some slack in the timing chain or have worn out chain guides. Can this noise be heard in the cab? Can you narrow down where the noise is coming from?
the 2.7 has a timing chain. not a belt? i am not calling you a liar i just want to know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds more like a metal on metal sound now that I listen closer.... thanks for any suggestions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts