TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Clarion SRV 303 powered sub yet? Its about 14x 9 1/2x 3 inches, 120w peak, 7" driver, and looks like it will fit a doublecab behind the drivers side back seat WITH NO MODS. Line and speaker inputs, 30 to 200hz. I dont know how to post a link, but you can see it a crutchfields website. Feedback please, if this is what it looks like I'm getting one!

·
Registered
121 Posts
your talking about this?

If so, it looks like it would sound O.K. 64 watts RMS isn't much, but for a small design I would like to hear how it sounds myself.

I have one of these in a sealed box in my x-cab and it rocks, with a PPI amp.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
renzo, thats the one, and the more I think about it, 64 w rms is a little weak for a sub. the thing I really like about it though is the small amount of space it uses, I like to keep stuff like rain gear, jumper cables, a useable lug wrench, etc. behind the back seat.

tacobike, how do the 6.5" subs sound? and who makes a 6.5 sub? thanks

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
yamataco said:
renzo, thats the one, and the more I think about it, 64 w rms is a little weak for a sub. the thing I really like about it though is the small amount of space it uses, I like to keep stuff like rain gear, jumper cables, a useable lug wrench, etc. behind the back seat.

tacobike, how do the 6.5" subs sound? and who makes a 6.5 sub? thanks
64W Rms is pretty weak. The only thing that I have heard that works with that little amount of power is JL W0's. JL also makes a 6.5" sub that is a W0. They make a 8" w3v2, which I have heard and it sounds good.

Here is the link for the subs http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/6w0.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are a couple of companies that make a 6.5, but the only one I have heard is JL. I have two JL 6WO's in my truck and I love them. For the amount of space they take, they sound awesome. They are not going to rattle your teeth, but you would be suprised how much bass they put out.

Jeremy

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tacobike, did you try the 8" JL sub before you designed your boxes? I really like your design, but I was thinking of building a box for a single 8 so I could get away with a little smaller box. It looks possible on my tape measure, but I've been wrong before. Are your boxes for 1,2 or 3 drivers the same size? I really want to keep my sub in the space behind the drivers side rear seat, will any of yours fit in that spot? Thanks to all for the help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do the 6.5 subs really put out more bass than a 6.5 component set. I'd love to have a sub but don't have much space to give up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 6.5's will suprise you. I don't think a component 6.5 puts out this kind of bass.

A two sub box is about 23" long, so check if that is a good length for what you are wanting. A 4-sub goes across the whole back, 3-sub is about 33 inches long.

I have tried to build a box with 8's, but the 8's I used(cheaper Kickers) were a bit too deep. The box was so tight I had to unbolt the seatbacks to get the box in. Then, the seatbacks had to be bolted back on after the were in the upright position. Maybe if I used a sub with a more shallow depth.

Jeremy

·
Registered
163 Posts
I built a custom sub box that has a 6.5" sub in it behind the drivers side rear seat. The best part is that you don't have to remove anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here is an 8" sub that would fit. That back of the box would have to be made out of fiberglass though so you could clear the magnet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you fiberglass the bottom of the box you can move the subs down a bit. I put 2-8" and the amp back there. I did things a little backwards than most. I built the box first, then tried different subs until I found the best sound for me and the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
very clean Justin, very clean. Thats what Ive been looking for. Ive bought a JL audio WO8 and Im designing a box now. Anyone have any links to sites that show how to use fiberglass? I think I can use MDF but Im not sure I'll have room for the magnet without stuffing the driver into the seatback and using fiberglass for the back of the box would give me another 1/2 inch or so. EDM, thanks for that tip, If I cant make the JLs work Ill look into those.

Edit: I found great fiberglassing tips at caraudio.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's exactly the way I've thought of building it, just lifted the truck and supercharged it first. Now it's time to upgrade the stereo.
Do you have all the dimensions for the box? How hard was it to work with fiberglass?
What amp did you go with? Did you upgrade the rest of your equipment?
Sorry for all the questions, just curious.
Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the delay, havent been here in a while. I still have the stock head unit, I t-tapped into the speaker wires to run two line output converters. From there to a Rockford Fosgate punch 200/4 4 channel amp for the door speakers (JBL components front, JBL 2 ways in back) and from the pass thru of the 4 channel into a Rockford Fosgate P3001 mono sub amp. Amps are under the front seats. 8" JLW0 woofer. Box is about 22w x 9h, 3 1/2 top depth to 5 1/2 bottom depth, 1/2 mdf front and sides with fiberglass back for more interior depth. The fiberglass is kind of a pain to work with, protect your work area and wear gloves. The sound is really good, but I'm still playing with the sub to get more output. I think I can get a single Kicker S8L7 solobaric into a box behind my back seat, I'll post if I can make it work. Also, sound deadining my doors really helped with the sound, the truck is quieter which makes the system sound better, and it stops most of the rattles my doors had. The d-cab is the hardest ride I have ever had to put good sound into, but I'm getting close. Good Luck

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
yamataco said:
Has anyone tried the Clarion SRV 303 powered sub yet? Its about 14x 9 1/2x 3 inches, 120w peak, 7" driver, and looks like it will fit a doublecab behind the drivers side back seat WITH NO MODS. Line and speaker inputs, 30 to 200hz. I dont know how to post a link, but you can see it a crutchfields website. Feedback please, if this is what it looks like I'm getting one!
I tried the box that Tacobike makes with 2 6.5 jl's, and you will be amazed at how good it sounds. I wanted a little more bass and power, and ultimately made this one for a 10"(for a hell of a lot less than the Double Cab solutions box). I could have done a better job on the carpet, but I got in a hurry, and quite frankly the picture looks worse than real life. The one you have picked out, I have never heard. But with 64 watts, I'm guessing you may be looking to upgrade soon after you get it. Unless your deaf (like me), the ones Tacobike sells combined with the JL's is a real good setup.
Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts