TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering who has tried this pay at the pump "race fuel" im passing three stations that have it tomorrow and im thinking about filling up/topping off, i dont even know if you guys out on the "best" coast have it? just curious what people have to say, thanks

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
After running 91-93 octane in my NA engine while towing thinking it would do me some good it damn near cooked my tail pipe. The rubber grommets that hung my custom setup melted.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
100 octane is useless if your vehicle doesnt need it..... all you are doing is screwing up the performance of your vehicle by leaving carbon deposits....

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
100 octane is useless if your vehicle doesnt need it..... all you are doing is screwing up the performance of your vehicle by leaving carbon deposits....
X2, higher octane gas will do NOTHING for your stock naturally aspirated motor.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
X2, higher octane gas will do NOTHING for your stock naturally aspirated motor.
Higher octane rated fuel will not screw up your naturally aspirated engine. Higher octane fuel burns slower, making more power in the process. Your newer tacos computer will see the difference and re-calibrate the fuel curve to better utilize the higher octane. Will it make that big of a difference to warrent the higher cost, probably not.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea thanks, i am supercharged without fuel mods,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is it unleaded? The race gas in north carolina is leaded- 100 octane. Works great in my motorcycle. Helps valves last longer, but i don't know what it would to to a Tacoma.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, wow, you guys are worthless

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
yea thanks, i am supercharged without fuel mods,
That is not the best situation. What do you mean by no fuel mods? You do not have the extra injector, or the truck came stock with the supercharger, hence no need for fuel mods? Clarify:confused:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
thanks, wow, you guys are worthless
:stfu: You ask for help, then you shit on the folks trying to help you. Go find some 80 grit sand paper, drop your drawers and drag your sorry ass across it till your ass and nuts bleed. Then splash some Brute on the open wound. Have a nice day:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
:stfu: You ask for help, then you shit on the folks trying to help you. Go find some 80 grit sand paper, drop your drawers and drag your sorry ass across it till your ass and nuts bleed. Then splash some Brute on the open wound. Have a nice day:rolleyes:

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
only time you need race fuel is if ur running any type of high compression in a big displaced motor, ur v6 has a long way to go before it can do that

·
Registered
75 Posts
Running race fuel would probably yeild you more HP. The ECU retards the timing quite a bit with a supercharger. Since higher octane helps to prevent spark knock; and slow down the flame front speed in the mixture, the ECU would advance the Ignition timing; giving you more hp. Just try it; make sure there's no lead in it.

BTW;

higher octane will not recalibrate the fuel curve but the Timing Map

"Bigger engines with high CR will benefit more from Racing fuel" ... Simply not true.

Smaller engines; in order to reach very high HP levels need LOT's of boost and RPM. Look at the supra dudes... you will not see a 1000hp Supra running on pump (93 oct) fuel, on the other hand, a C5/C6 corvette will need much less octane to reach the same HP. In general, it has a lot to do with hp/liter...

Running high octane will not "melt" any exhaust components... Loading an engine like pulling a trailer will create a very hot exhaust tought; because of the engine LOAD and not the Octane rating.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Running race fuel would probably yeild you more HP. The ECU retards the timing quite a bit with a supercharger. Since higher octane helps to prevent spark knock; and slow down the flame front speed in the mixture, the ECU would advance the Ignition timing; giving you more hp. Just try it; make sure there's no lead in it.

BTW;

higher octane will not recalibrate the fuel curve but the Timing Map

"Bigger engines with high CR will benefit more from Racing fuel" ... Simply not true.

Smaller engines; in order to reach very high HP levels need LOT's of boost and RPM. Look at the supra dudes... you will not see a 1000hp Supra running on pump (93 oct) fuel, on the other hand, a C5/C6 corvette will need much less octane to reach the same HP. In general, it has a lot to do with hp/liter...

Running high octane will not "melt" any exhaust components... Loading an engine like pulling a trailer will create a very hot exhaust tought; because of the engine LOAD and not the Octane rating.
There is no replacement for displacement. RPM has less to do with overall HP numbers than you might think. All you have to do is look at a diesel engine to figure that one out. Boost fools the engine into thinking that it has more overall displacement. In a smaller engine, this may be achieved at a higher RPM, but it is not a direct relationship. More fuel equals more RPM by default alone. Feed it more, it produces more, but only to a point of diminishing return. I say this because increased HP equals increased heat and the increase is not linear, it's exponential. Also, boost equals heat. It's called adabiatic temp increase. When you compress air, you create heat. The ECU can only retard or advance the engines timing to a preset factory max number, after that you are wasting octane/boost (unless you modify the ECU's operating parameters). Which is why the big boys go to Haltec and other aftermarket computers. You can modify all of the engine tuning parameters that way. The fuel curve has also got to be modified to utilize the highly increased octane of race fuel, or you are throwing money in the toilet buying it in the first place. I have run blown motors in a number of my cars over the years and can tell you that tuning for ultimate HP and torque is like walking a tight rope. One mistake and your 30k motor is a grenade. Trust me, I did it in my 55 chevy pro-street 1013 HP blown on gas motor. It cost me dearly. HP is never free.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yeah, it was an ARR (alcohol related response).:rolleyes: I don't take well to peeps calling advice worthless. Especially when they are the ones asking for help.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is no replacement for displacement. RPM has less to do with overall HP numbers than you might think.
Look back in my post; I'm saying you need less octane with an LS6 than a 2JZGTE to both make 1000 hp. I'm not arguing here.

as for RPM not being a factor for HP....well

HP= (Torque * RPM)/5252

Boost fools the engine into thinking that it has more overall displacement. In a smaller engine, this may be achieved at a higher RPM, but it is not a direct relationship. More fuel equals more RPM by default alone. Feed it more, it produces more, but only to a point of diminishing return. I say this because increased HP equals increased heat and the increase is not linear, it's exponential. Also, boost equals heat. It's called adabiatic temp increase. When you compress air, you create heat. The ECU can only retard or advance the engines timing to a preset factory max number, after that you are wasting octane/boost (unless you modify the ECU's operating parameters). Which is why the big boys go to Haltec and other aftermarket computers. You can modify all of the engine tuning parameters that way. The fuel curve has also got to be modified to utilize the highly increased octane of race fuel, or you are throwing money in the toilet buying it in the first place. I have run blown motors in a number of my cars over the years and can tell you that tuning for ultimate HP and torque is like walking a tight rope. One mistake and your 30k motor is a grenade. Trust me, I did it in my 55 chevy pro-street 1013 HP blown on gas motor. It cost me dearly. HP is never free.
The 5VZ when equiped with the TRD s/c pulls a lot of timing. It has been known and documented for years... This is why a lot of people are going turbo where they have a better adiabatic efficiency and can be easily used with an intercooler to cool the intake charge, and at the same time, regain the mecanical lost from spining an air pump. Less heat + more timing advance +denser air = more molecules of fuel at the same a/f ratio = more power...

Other people have installed a water injection system that has the same effect of running much higher octane, thus achieving maximum advance possible within the "operating parameters" of the ECU.

Even some stock vehicle will benefit from race fuel; in hot weather; for example; the Turbocharged Sub WRX and other forced fed cars. I had the task of tuning lots of different n/a cars and f/i cars including WANKEL engines which are extremely fragile when playing with timing and a/f ratios.

The Tacoma NEVER came with a s/c from the factory... and the ECU has to deal with 200 degree intake charge temps by pulling lot's of timing.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Blown toy: I'm not argueing timing vs HP. Also, I am well aware of the HP equation, that wasn't what my statement was meant to infer. If you know anything about building HP, you know that HP is a byproduct of torque and torque moves mass. RPM is merely part of that equation for figuring out where hp and torque cross on the dyno sheet. Since when does a turbo have better adabiatic efficiency than a lobe or screw type supercharger??? They impart so much additional exhaust heat to the intake charge that they require an intercooler to even come close to the boost numbers that are attainable with a screw type supercharger. Plus adabiatic heat increase is a direct result of compressing air, not heat transfer from hot components to the fuel charge. Aslo, nothing is free. That Hair dryer eats HP also, to the tune of exhaust restriction and increased intake temps. No matter how big of an intercooler you put on that Engine, you will never realize the HP numbers and efficiency that a screw type blower will give you. I say this with one exception, offshore race boats. This is due to the fact that they run super cooled water through the intercooler, thus gaining more horsepower due to a denser intake charge. I have run both types of supercharger and can attest to this. Plus, you will never see the low end torque numbers that you see with a screw type blower. If hair dryers are so great, why aren't top fuel cars running them? Why are most car mfrs running screw type VS turbo superchargers? They are running screw type, regardless of the additional cost, for one reason, better HP and torque numbers for the amount of fuel consumed. Also, when I ordered my 05 taco, I was offered a supercharger upgrade from the dealer. So, YES you can get these from toyota that way. Yes it is a dealer add on, but it is still available. Plus, you put less timing into a blown motor, not more. Unless of course you want to build a grenade, or Chernoble melt down. I have plenty of old dyno sheets if you want to debate this more.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when i have to cover one eye to see the computer screen i really should not write anything, but i did, and i actually got the answers i was looking for, thank you guys!
and actually the one place i stopped that was supposed to be a sunoco with the 100 octane unleaded was changed to a different station, even though the sunoco website says differently, oh well ill have to keep looking

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
when i have to cover one eye to see the computer screen i really should not write anything, but i did, and i actually got the answers i was looking for, thank you guys!
and actually the one place i stopped that was supposed to be a sunoco with the 100 octane unleaded was changed to a different station, even though the sunoco website says differently, oh well ill have to keep looking
Good luck with the high octane stuff bud. No issues. We can all agree to disagree in here. There are bound to be 20 different oinions regarding fuels and horsepower. We've all broken enough motors to know.:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
mojavegold,

.... superchargers being more efficient than turbos??? "Adiabatically" speaking??!?? it's the opposite of all those books I read...

Turbo > lyslom (screw, KB) > modified roots(eaton) > roots

Turbos became more popular with the introduction of computer controlled fuel injection engines. The main drawback from using turbos on cars is it takes a lot of space compared to S/c's that do not need special exhaust routing, intercooler piping...Turbos need oil feed lines, coolant lines... it's more complex and expensive.

With launch control features on EMS nowadays; you can have boost @ idle at the drag strip.

Just for fun ; here's a Viper twin turbo (2 x T-88 Turbos) doing 7.98 @ 181 mph.... UNTUNED.. car has a 2 speed glide. look how easy it looks...:D

http://home.comcast.net/~two1bar/videos/7.98GTS.wmv

No supercharged full weight Viper can even come close...yes, mustang, corvette and viper crowds are all going turbo for max power. It's a fact.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts