TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that my Supercharger is toast! I had it installed by my Toyota dealer to get the warranty extended to match the power-train warranty like TRD USA said, but they denied my claim. I love the supercharger, but $2,500 for a year and a couple months of operation and 20,000 miles. That is expensive. I really don’t want to switch back the NA 3.4 Taco.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody else had this problem? I was really surprised that TRD USA would NOT honor the warranty. Even my dealer was surprised. I am heartbroken.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
that's bull...they have to honor the warranty, do you still have receipts and paperwork? i'd file a lawsuit

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Any other mods they can blame it on?? That doesn't sound right, but then again.... I'll let you in on something. My father in law works for TRD. And one of the groups he works closely with are the S/C guys, in the dyno and testing stuff. They are saying that due to too many s/c incidents, they are refusing a LOT of warranty issues with them. They are suppopsedly changing( voiding ) the warranty except for the instant failure kind of thing. That is why my taco does not get blown; I was ready to drop it in a month ago. It is due mostly to street racing issues, but fall one, fall all. I am sorry to hear you have a dead blower. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
~20,000 miles and SC failed

My truck had the TRD SC kit and a K&N filter. Not exactly wild. The dealer said it was a "complete internal failure" of the SC. Nothing to void the warranty. They just don't want to honor the warranty the way it reads. My dealer says the truck is still under power-train warranty, but TRD says no matter who installed the SC it is only covered for 12 months. Even though the card says if a dealer installed the SC it should be covered for the remainder of the power-train warranty. I am still hoping TRD will step up and replace/repair the SC.

Does anyone rebuild the TRD superchargers? I believe Magnuson makes the kit for TRD. I will give them a call today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just spoke with the customer service manager at TRD and now they want to honor the warranty. I guess all of the customer service reps were confused on the coverage of the warranty. I am still skeptical (Until the replacement unit is installed and I am driving my truck again). It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Hopefully TRD will stand behind their product.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mattbfstaco said:
I just spoke with the customer service manager at TRD and now they want to honor the warranty. I guess all of the customer service reps were confused on the coverage of the warranty. I am still skeptical (Until the replacement unit is installed and I am driving my truck again). It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Hopefully TRD will stand behind their product.
Lol i was reading though this thread and iwas going to say
Skip the middle man go stright to the source.. TRD bitch enough and its yours. Tahnkfully it didnt crap out and dump a bunch of crap into your engine. That would have been expensive :eek:

Its good to hear you got this resolved!

·
Registered
503 Posts
mattbfstaco said:
Anybody else had this problem? I was really surprised that TRD USA would NOT honor the warranty. Even my dealer was surprised. I am heartbroken.
Why are the denining it?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got several stories from TRD. I called several times and talked to several service reps. First they said that no matter who installed the SC the warrant was only good for 12 months. Then someone else at TRD said that the SC warranty is only good for the life of the Toyota power-train warranty if the dealer installed it at the time I purchased the vehicle. I installed my SC after I purchased the truck (But before the PT warranty ran out) and the break happened greater than 12 months after I bought the SC. According to my warranty card that is a bunch of crap. Since the deal installed my SC the warranty should be good as long as the power-train warranty on my truck lasts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today TRD promised to honor the warranty and replace my SC. Until my truck is back on the road, I will remain skeptical. Hopefully by tomorrow afternoon the verdict will be in on whether the TRD warranty is worth a crap (At least to me). My rental car is due back at the dealer and the supercharger they promised to overnight should be on my truck. I love my Taco and the extra hp the SC creates. I just want everything back the way it was before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The install was $400 dollars from the dealer. My local dealer has done a lot of installs. Colorado has a lot of passes in the mountains and the SC really helps with the grades.

I haven’t had a problem with pinging. I can induce it if I am really trying (RPMs too low, lots of throttle and in high gear). I can get my Dad’s NA Tacoma to briefly ping using the same technique, but the ECU quickly compensates. From what I have read the thin air (~5,200 foot elevation) helps against the pinging problem. I haven’t had my truck down to sea level yet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
mattbfstaco said:
My truck had the TRD SC kit and a K&N filter. Not exactly wild. The dealer said it was a "complete internal failure" of the SC. Nothing to void the warranty. They just don't want to honor the warranty the way it reads. My dealer says the truck is still under power-train warranty, but TRD says no matter who installed the SC it is only covered for 12 months. Even though the card says if a dealer installed the SC it should be covered for the remainder of the power-train warranty. I am still hoping TRD will step up and replace/repair the SC.

Does anyone rebuild the TRD superchargers? I believe Magnuson makes the kit for TRD. I will give them a call today.
It sounds more like the dealers responsiblity becuase it was the dealers warranty, TRD had nothing to do with that, they didnt know the dealer was handing out warranties. But you got it fixed anyway thats cool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The TRD warranty is tied to the power-train warranty. If you have the dealer put the SC on the warranty is good for the remainder of the vehicles power-train warranty. If you put the SC on yourself it is only good for 12 months. This is how the TRD warranty reads. They are not separate warranties. Just separate coverage based on differing circumstances.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got off the phone with the dealer. Looks like TRD didn't overnight the replacement SC as promised. I really want my truck back on the road. The rental Corolla is nice, but I miss my truck.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Does anyone know, if you have the extended 100K powertrain warranty from toyota, does it cover the SC?

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
CMB1998 said:
Does anyone know, if you have the extended 100K powertrain warranty from toyota, does it cover the SC?

Later,

Chris
it does if you have the S/C put on soon enough after you buy the truck...i bought the S/C a few days after i bought the truck and had it installed a week later and it's all covered under the extended warranty

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CMB1998 said:

Later,

Chris
If you really want to know you will have to call TRD and talk to the customer service manager. According to the warranty you should be covered, but it is tough to get a straight answer from TRD. The wording in the warranty just references the power-train warranty. You might get some pushback for the extended power-train warranty.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts