TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard these are a bitch to balance. is that in the bigger sizes or all sizes? i am looking at the 32x10.5r15 for my next tires and was wondering if i am gonna run into this kind of issue.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
which tire?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
This summer I remounted and balanced my 33x12.5 Trxus M/Ts and the worst tire took 215 grams on one side. The best took 0 on one side and about 25 on the other.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Super Swamper tire for a DD.

Many people have two sets of tires just for that reason.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Ever actually run them?
No. But after using the SEARCH function many, many times researching about the same subject, i came to the conclusion that so many people can't be wrong.

The general opinion is that super swampers won't last long on the pavement and that they will be a pain to balance.

For that reason I woudn't buy a TSL, for example, for DD purposes. It just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Unless your strictly offroad, great tire, but on the road they won't last.

Ever run this tire? By your comment I dont think so.

I have run the 32x10.50R15 TSL Radial. Great Tire, I cannot ever say enough good things about it. It balanced to run as smooth as glass, had great road manners and awesome offroad traction. I ran it on snow/ice/sand/dirt/mud and never had any issues. When I sold them with 25K miles on them there was still 65% tread left. If you run them on a 15x7 its a perfect fit. You can run them up to max psi (on a 4runner for sure) and get a flat contact patch, for good hwy mileage. I ran them as low as 12psi with no issues. The only reason I sold this tire was I didnt like my POS Rancho 3" lift and went to a 4" bracket and needed a bigger tire.

Now I have also run Bias swampers and wasnt happy with them. For the type of wheeling I do they were not the best tire, I prefer the radials.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
AK98Taco said:
This summer I remounted and balanced my 33x12.5 Trxus M/Ts and the worst tire took 215 grams on one side. The best took 0 on one side and about 25 on the other.
That's pretty good, did they balance them using a lug-centric adapter? What type of wheels? Mine were balanced that way but still took quite a bit of weight, as much as 16oz, and that's after returning two tires for excessive weight requirements.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
ben90 said:
No. But after using the SEARCH function many, many times researching about the same subject, i came to the conclusion that so many people can't be wrong.

The general opinion is that super swampers won't last long on the pavement and that they will be a pain to balance.

For that reason I woudn't buy a TSL, for example, for DD purposes. It just doesn't make sense.
There's quite of bit of difference between a TSL and one of the radial Swampers, like my Trxus M/Ts. They are holding up very well, and have performed better in year round conditions than my BFG A/Ts.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
TacoCrazy said:
That's pretty good, did they balance them using a lug-centric adapter? What type of wheels? Mine were balanced that way but still took quite a bit of weight, as much as 16oz, and that's after returning two tires for excessive weight requirements.
I balanced them myself using the lug-centric adapter. Wheels are 15x10 Mickey Thompson Classic IIs. They run very, very smooth.

The hardest part was adding weight, spinning the tire, removing weight, all trying to pinpoint the exact spot that needed weight and getting it balanced with the least amount of weight. It's hard to hammer three 2-3 inch-long weights into place and have them actually in the right position to balance the assembly.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
AK98Taco said:
I balanced them myself using the lug-centric adapter. Wheels are 15x10 Mickey Thompson Classic IIs. They run very, very smooth.

The hardest part was adding weight, spinning the tire, removing weight, all trying to pinpoint the exact spot that needed weight and getting it balanced with the least amount of weight. It's hard to hammer three 2-3 inch-long weights into place and have them actually in the right position to balance the assembly.
Yeah, that's the main reason I used sticky weights - can get more weight in the same location. I think it's hilarious to see people who just took their tires to a chain store and they have rim weights almost all the way around the rim :rofl:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
Yeah, that's the main reason I used sticky weights - can get more weight in the same location. I think it's hilarious to see people who just took their tires to a chain store and they have rim weights almost all the way around the rim :rofl:
That's what I have for now, unfortunately. If I get another chance to balance them I'll only put weights on the inside edge of the rim, or just run internal balancing. At least it didn't cost me anything to remount and balance the tires, other than staying late at work.

·
Registered
195 Posts
RedRunnertc said:
I think it's hilarious to see people who just took their tires to a chain store and they have rim weights almost all the way around the rim :rofl:
When I had my SSRs balanced, that's what happened. They took about 20 oz one every tire. Still, if money is no object, I think they are the best all around tire available. They are smooth and quiet on the street and make "normal" mud tires look like street slicks offroad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
tacoted
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing