TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 3RZ in my rock buggy.

The car only weighs in at 2600#, it is nimble and quick, but I need more HP for those long loose climbs and the point-and-shoot waterfalls.

With a few computer mods I have, the header with Supertrapp and the K and N filter, I would say the thing probably puts out anywhere from the stock 150HP to upwards of 170HP if you believe what folks say about the above modifications.

The Alpine Supercharger is rated to add 40% more HP to this year motor. I think the boost is limited on the earlier 3RZ motors.

That will get me anywhere from 210 to 290 hp. That is respectable for this little buggy.

I called LC Engineering and for a mere $11,000 they will get me a turn-key turbocharged motor rated at 330-350HP.

So, $3500 for 210-290 HP (big range, but I really don't know what my starting point is 150 or 170) or $11,000 for essentially a brand new motor with guaranteed kick ass HP.

Before you say it, YES, I would rather have a V8...LS-2 would be sweet, but my buggy was built around this motor. I am in the middle of a R150/Atlas 4 speed swap so I really don't want to throw away all of that work.

The 3RZ is a kick ass, light motor for a rockbuggy with amazing HP potential.

I am just bouncing these ideas off you guys since this is where the Taco guys hang.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have a 97 3RZ in my rock buggy.

The car only weighs in at 2600#, it is nimble and quick, but I need more HP for those long loose climbs and the point-and-shoot waterfalls.

With a few computer mods I have, the header with Supertrapp and the K and N filter, I would say the thing probably puts out anywhere from the stock 150HP to upwards of 170HP if you believe what folks say about the above modifications.

The Alpine Supercharger is rated to add 40% more HP to this year motor. I think the boost is limited on the earlier 3RZ motors.

That will get me anywhere from 210 to 290 hp. That is respectable for this little buggy.

I called LC Engineering and for a mere $11,000 they will get me a turn-key turbocharged motor rated at 330-350HP.

So, $3500 for 210-290 HP (big range, but I really don't know what my starting point is 150 or 170) or $11,000 for essentially a brand new motor with guaranteed kick ass HP.

Before you say it, YES, I would rather have a V8...LS-2 would be sweet, but my buggy was built around this motor. I am in the middle of a R150/Atlas 4 speed swap so I really don't want to throw away all of that work.

The 3RZ is a kick ass, light motor for a rockbuggy with amazing HP potential.

I am just bouncing these ideas off you guys since this is where the Taco guys hang.
www.paradiseracing.com

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
If it were me I'd just get the supercharger and save the 7 grand for something else. A supercharger also is boosting all the time even at lower rpm which is really helpful for crawling as I'm sure you are familiar with whereas a turbo is limited more to upper rpms. Also I'd think you'd need to have an intercooler with the turbo motor so that would take up some space and plumbing that the supercharger wouldn't. I am no expert and don't have a supercharger on my 2.7 but that is just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what a joke! -
My thoughts too, but if you look at all the money it would cost me to redo my entire chassis to fit another drivetrain in there, the cost is comparable to sticking in an LS-1 and a Powerglide.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nitrous is too uncontrolable in the rock crawling I do. I mainly need more HP for steep climbs and long loose climbs.

I gave NOS a lot of thought and after talking to folks with it, it is just too "wild" when it comes on.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
THe supercharger might give you a more usable powerband. But I say you should call URD and see what they say is a reasonable estimate of what kind of power you'd be getting from a supercharger with their fuel mods.

THe turbo would be bad ass too though. That would be a ride hitting the S&M waterfall in AZ at full boost! :xsmokin1:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If it were me I'd just get the supercharger and save the 7 grand for something else. A supercharger also is boosting all the time even at lower rpm which is really helpful for crawling as I'm sure you are familiar with whereas a turbo is limited more to upper rpms. Also I'd think you'd need to have an intercooler with the turbo motor so that would take up some space and plumbing that the supercharger wouldn't. I am no expert and don't have a supercharger on my 2.7 but that is just my thoughts on it.
Superchargers only make boost when under load. When you are cruising they just spin, merely passing enough air to run the engine at any given RPM. I say get the supercharger. It's very predictable HP on demand.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
SC with fuel but the Vette Motor sounds best!:kewl: :xrocker:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts