1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this website:

http://www.rollingperformance.com/

Heres what they say about the ceramic high performance rebuild kit:

Our ceramic ball bearing snout kits will boost the performance of your supercharger by reducing some of the parasitic loss standard steel ball bearings present which will free up some lost horsepower used to drive your supercharger. Ceramic ball bearings offer 40% less friction and the balls are 60% lighter than steel balls. They are much better suited for high speed applications, and exhibit excellent thermal properties making them perfectly suited for the high rpms and heat generated by the supercharger. In addition, ceramic ball bearings will provide 3 to 5 times longer life. This is the last time you ever rebuild your snout.

Each kit includes 2 ceramic ball bearings, 1 high performance Viton seal, 1 tube of GM adhesive sealant and 2 bottles of GM supercharger oil.

#CBBSNOUTKIT . . . $195.00

Has anyone used this kit or these guys before? Is there any validity to the claim that this will better suit high speed applications? My hopes are these bearings would allow the 2.0 or 12psi pulley to generate more power due if it doesnt cancel itself out so much due to the heat generated.

Im basing this off of TRDOlmans data, he gains somewhere around 30hp going to the 2.1 pulley, but only around 5 more hp from 2.1 to 2.0 pulley, where I think its commonly accepted that the SC hits the point of negative return, as in more boost will actually loose you power due to the heat generated.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
My experience with ceramic bearings comes from the few turbo systems URD did for the 5vz. Every one of the ceramic ball bearing turbos failed in a short period. They did spool a RCH quicker and those turbos kept spining long after the engine was shut off, but we were changing the turbos about as often as engine oil.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gadget said:
My experience with ceramic bearings comes from the few turbo systems URD did for the 5vz. Every one of the ceramic ball bearing turbos failed in a short period. They did spool a RCH quicker and those turbos kept spining long after the engine was shut off, but we were changing the turbos about as often as engine oil.
Wow, thats dissapointing but valuable knowledge. I was sold on the ceramic bearing kit. Its more than twice the price of the stock rebuild kit and they claim by using the ceramic high performance kit, this would be the last time you have to rebuild your SC.

Do you think its fair to say, or likely, your experience with ceramic bearings in turbo applications would hold true for other applications using ceramic bearings, like for instance superchargers?! Or could the turbo heat have something to do with it, but that wouldnt make sense. Damn, id like to see some more research on the issue.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gadget said:

I just noticed there add even states that the ceramic bearings are better suited for high speed/ high temperature applications??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts