TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like my bypass valve has died on me, it is always in the closed position (against the set screw) no matter the throttle position or if the truck is running. I tried moving the armature by hand and it moves without binding and snaps back to closed like it's suposed to, just not affected by engine vacuum.

Does anybody know if it is a servicible part? If not what's the latest on Toyota buying out TRD can we buy parts from one or both of them?

Also I should mention I just installed it a month or so ago but hadn't been driving it becase I purchased it used with fuel mods and I wanted to get all of the tunning done first. Now that I know I'm not going to blow it up, I noticed something is definitely not right...

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
The diaphram problaby split on you. Samething happene to me once. If I were you, I'd call Magnuson to get one before I called TRD or paid and arm and a leg to a Toyota dealer for it. Hell you may even be able to get one from a Buick dealer if that unit uses the same bypass. The folks at Magnuson will know.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call on contacting Magnuson, I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning.

Wouldn't a ripped diaphram not have the elasticity to spring back though? Or is there a spring in there too?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
There is a coil spring in there too. The diaphram is rubber with a laminated metal center section. I opened it and tried to cobble something up but it didn't work and isn't worth the hassle.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Shut the engine off. Does the valve move to the closed position?

When you start the engine the valve should move to the open position.

For some reason your description sounds backwards to me. They normally fail in the closed postion oposit from what you described.

Anyway if you need one, order two, from Magnuson. TRD is really screwed up right now and it might take forever to get one from TRD.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gadget said:

For some reason your description sounds backwards to me. They normally fail in the closed postion oposit from what you described.

Anyway if you need one, order two, from Magnuson. TRD is really screwed up right now and it might take forever to get one from TRD.
The little "L" shaped bracket is against the set screw ALWAYS, no matter if the truck is running or not. I have a picture of it but still havn't gotten around to setting up my webspace so I can't link it...

Not sure if you consider that open or closed.

Dick,

Thanks for the clarification, yeah I had no interest in trying to patch it back together. That sounded like way too much work and chances are I would've screwed something up anyways.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update for anybody that cares...

I called Magnuson last night and was able to talk with thier TRD rep (Kevin at extension 260, in case you need it). He told me an easy way to check the diaphram was to pull the vacuum line off the unit, turn the lever to the open position and put your finger on the vacuum connection, then let go of the arm. If the arm snaps back to the default position, then your diaphram is bad.

Oh yea they have new actuators in stock and the current price is $40.

Thanks again Dick and Gadget, always nice to et such quick and acurate help!

·
Registered
2 Posts

gadget I could really use your expertise on my situation you have any contact info thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts