TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am over half way through my supercharger and 7th injector install. I got it mounted. Just have to do Hoses, belts and Electrical. Can anyone send me some pics of the hoses? I want to make sure I get that right. I bough the charger used and not sure which hoses go where. Any help appreciated. You can e mail me at [email protected] with pics.

Bruce

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
mycirus said:
I am over half way through my supercharger and 7th injector install. I got it mounted. Just have to do Hoses, belts and Electrical. Can anyone send me some pics of the hoses? I want to make sure I get that right. I bough the charger used and not sure which hoses go where. Any help appreciated. You can e mail me at [email protected] with pics.

Bruce

There are slight differences from year to year so post up the year or your truck and maybe someone can chime in. I didn't use the 7th injector so I can't help you on that aspect, but if you have any questions I could help you with words. Camera not working right.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, 02 Dcab. Thanks for any help. I just looked at the online manual for the 7th inj and the color pics make a difference. Maybe I can get my info there. But any pics would help.

Bruce

100 Posts
Bruce, I give you credit that you can do all that work yourelf. I do not have that expertise and had dealership do it (I am retired and can afford it) Hope you will post on how your work tuned out and how the truck performs. If you do not have headers, you might entertain the idea of installing. They make a big difference when incorporated with S/C. Best to 'ya. Had S/C installed @ 18 months ago, only 3 or 4 times had "pinging" and it hauls ass. Had 7th installed only last week and now it "really" hauls ass, especially under W.O.T. Best of Luck. Rich

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the dealer quoted me 867 to install it, the decision was easy. I got the charger and 7th for only 1550 off ebay so I think I can keep the price down by doing it myself. My brother was a big help too. The only thing that was a big pain was the fuel rail for the extra injector. Lining that up took an hour and a half and we finally removed the charger to get more room to get in there. I should have her running today. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Bruce

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
REDMARLIN WITH SOUL said:
Bruce, I give you credit that you can do all that work yourelf. I do not have that expertise and had dealership do it (I am retired and can afford it) Hope you will post on how your work tuned out and how the truck performs. If you do not have headers, you might entertain the idea of installing. They make a big difference when incorporated with S/C. Best to 'ya. Had S/C installed @ 18 months ago, only 3 or 4 times had "pinging" and it hauls ass. Had 7th installed only last week and now it "really" hauls ass, especially under W.O.T. Best of Luck. Rich
I'll agree that the headers will make a difference, as for installing them, I wouldn't recommend anyone should do it themselves. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are many people out there capable of installing the headers themselves, anything can be accomplished if one sets their minds to it, but it is such a pain in the --- that I wouldn't attempt it myself ever agaiin. So far I have installed everything on my truck, S/C, URD kit, headers, exhaust, bed cover, and a ton of other mods, but the headers was by far the longest, hardest, and most time consuming task. I had heard of people cutting the pipes off to make the removal an easier task. I didn't want to do that. I had also heard of people with 3" bodylift (makes it easier with a bodylift) taking 2-3 days for the install. I dont have a bodylift and 2 days into the process I decided to just drop the tranny for symplicity,... yeah that was easier than lifting the engine out which was another option. I could have probably been able to cut the pipes too, but I didn't want to "just in case." Well all in all everything ended up good and I am getting closer the desired set up for my truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I finally got it installed and running. Couple of problems on the way. 1 was that the seventh injector was leaking gas. Took off and apart and o ring seal was a little off. Put back together, leak fixed.

2nd issue was iner stud for the 7th inj was spinning loose. Used locktite but not sure its working and am not able to tighten without it feeling like it is spinning. Which leads to an air leak on top of 7th injector.

3rd was I forgot to put throttle vacum line on. Check engine light came on and after about 10 miles. Re installed and disconnected battery to reset computer. But now it idles rough but runs good with gas pedal applied a little. Does the computer have to re learn my truck?

Any body else have problems with 7th injector?

Bruce

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
mycirus said:
Well, I finally got it installed and running. Couple of problems on the way. 1 was that the seventh injector was leaking gas. Took off and apart and o ring seal was a little off. Put back together, leak fixed.

2nd issue was iner stud for the 7th inj was spinning loose. Used locktite but not sure its working and am not able to tighten without it feeling like it is spinning. Which leads to an air leak on top of 7th injector.

3rd was I forgot to put throttle vacum line on. Check engine light came on and after about 10 miles. Re installed and disconnected battery to reset computer. But now it idles rough but runs good with gas pedal applied a little. Does the computer have to re learn my truck?

Any body else have problems with 7th injector?

Bruce

With any upgrade your computer will have to relearn(adjust). Rough idle is relative though. The computer can only do so much so it is hard to say if all is well. It may take a few hundred miles to adjust,... however I would look into the AIC from URD to be able to fine tune your setup. If you have an scan tool reader you can see if your computer is attempting to adjust to a very rich/lean mixure. This will give you an idea as to how much off it may be trying to compensate for.

100 Posts
Mycirus and Dcab. Yeah, the headers were biggest and most time consuming project for my dealership. They quoted me 6 hours labor. It took them 8. Even they had problems with welding and jacking trans up to get clearance. This is NEVER a job anyone should attempt in their driveway. I had 7th installed 5 days ago and to me it is a miracle option. I could not be happier with the results. I have MINOR idle roughness when cold but when warm is almost like stock. What I did notice is the S/C whistles a little bit more and the exhast tone is more aggresssive. I am covered by my warranty and to me that is worth BIG $$$ and I have a dealership that does not give me problems. Bruce, a word of caution. With the 7th it does not start to lean out at 70 and you can get mesmerized by the ongoing pull... Richie

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gadget said:
Where are you located?

Massachusetts.......When cold it runs nice and smooth. After warm up goes rough but a little gas (1000 RPM) smooths right out. My main concern is to get the air coming out of the 7th inj to stop and make sure that stud is not backing out on it.

Bruce

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got her running right. Stupid mistake. Gasket for 7th injector was upside down and allowed air to get in. Also had to use a bolt instead of studs to keep that in. The stud kept backing out so I found a stainless bolt with same tread pattern. Runs smooth as butter now. Couldnt really get on it too much. With the 1/2 inch dusting of snow out there tail is real happy. Even getting on it at 60 on highway I felt a little traction loss. Awesome stuff. Thanks for the support guys.

Bruce

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
mycirus said:
Finally got her running right. Stupid mistake. Gasket for 7th injector was upside down and allowed air to get in. Also had to use a bolt instead of studs to keep that in. The stud kept backing out so I found a stainless bolt with same tread pattern. Runs smooth as butter now. Couldnt really get on it too much. With the 1/2 inch dusting of snow out there tail is real happy. Even getting on it at 60 on highway I felt a little traction loss. Awesome stuff. Thanks for the support guys.

Bruce
That is good to hear. Have fun with it!

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Mr.T said:
So which do you guys think is better, the URD or the 7th injector?
Well in my opinion this is the order in which I characterized "better"

1) Full blown URD fuel Kit
Upside is you have plenty of fuel delivery capability to keep up with the SC and end user tunability.
Downside is possible warrantee issues and a lot of time tuning(or learning how to tune, but a fun process).

2)7th injector with URD’s AIC and walbro fuel pump
Upside is it is Toyota approved so you shouldn’t have any warrantee issues(if you take off the AIC controller prior to taking it in to the Stealers), and still end user tunable(to a certain extent).
Downside, you are injecting fuel through the SC(I think) and it is not known what the long term effects will be, also fuel delivery isn’t as efficient/accurate as injecting it directly to the combustion chamber.

3)7th injector alone
Upside is it is completely Toyota approved and “shouldn’t” get any warrantee issues.
Downside, the same as in #2 and it is not end user tunable. It may not completely cure the ping issue, and it is more expensive than the URD kit.

However, unless you live in higher elevations(above 5K) any of these fuel mods are needed and will make a difference.

Take this as just my opinion and definitely not as 100% accurate, just what I got from all the reading I did prior to my final decision on the URD kit.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
DCabTaco said:
Well in my opinion this is the order in which I characterized "better"

1) Full blown URD fuel Kit
Upside is you have plenty of fuel delivery capability to keep up with the SC and end user tunability.
Downside is possible warrantee issues and a lot of time tuning(or learning how to tune, but a fun process).

2)7th injector with URD’s AIC and walbro fuel pump
Upside is it is Toyota approved so you shouldn’t have any warrantee issues(if you take off the AIC controller prior to taking it in to the Stealers), and still end user tunable(to a certain extent).
Downside, you are injecting fuel through the SC(I think) and it is not known what the long term effects will be, also fuel delivery isn’t as efficient/accurate as injecting it directly to the combustion chamber.

3)7th injector alone
Upside is it is completely Toyota approved and “shouldn’t” get any warrantee issues.
Downside, the same as in #2 and it is not end user tunable. It may not completely cure the ping issue, and it is more expensive than the URD kit.

However, unless you live in higher elevations(above 5K) any of these fuel mods are needed and will make a difference.

Take this as just my opinion and definitely not as 100% accurate, just what I got from all the reading I did prior to my final decision on the URD kit.
Hey screw the supra maf and get one of these...http://www.airaidsales.com/www/Modular-Intake-Tube-for-99-04-Toyota-Tacoma-34L-P75C20.aspx

Its a little on the expensive side but its neat and tight. I just ordered one.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
Super Doody said:
Hey screw the supra maf and get one of these...http://www.airaidsales.com/www/Modular-Intake-Tube-for-99-04-Toyota-Tacoma-34L-P75C20.aspx

Yeah I was looking at that, but most people think it is a waste of money. It looks nicer than the stock one and eliminates the resonator and J trap, but it doesn't do anything for air flow "sensing." The Supra MAF is actually a bigger sensor than our stock sensor that sits right before this inlet and it is capable of sensing more flow than the stock one. This air tube just delivers that flow of air to the throttle body. So in theory if this tub does help with air flow, it would be more beneficial to add the supra MAF and this tub for maximum air flow.

Let me know how it works out for you. I still have to try and make our stock tube fit the bigger MAF sensor outlet, which would be the same for this airaid tub.

·
609 Posts
Super Doody said:

It makes the intake a little louder. It also made me run leaner at WOT and I had to retune the FTC so I can say it did flow more. As for how many horses it added- I think well over 150rwhp but only after I put the cool sticker on the window! If you want to clean things up it was worth it but not as for pure performance.

·
Smoked Out!
1,869 Posts
wisctaco04 said:
It makes the intake a little louder. It also made me run leaner at WOT and I had to retune the FTC so I can say it did flow more. As for how many horses it added- I think well over 150rwhp but only after I put the cool sticker on the window! If you want to clean things up it was worth it but not as for pure performance.

So it made you run leaner, then it did improve air flow. I've been thinking about making one out of bigger tubbing to pair up with my Supra MAF sensor, but it might be more work than I have time for. I will look into this after I install the MAF so I can benefit from the 150 rwhp as well.

:D

·
Registered
731 Posts
wisctaco04 said:
I'm glad you said you feel it flows better. I did a lot of mods at one time so I never found out if it did. I put the MIT on mainly just to "clean up" the intake tract.

Dave

1 - 20 of 32 Posts