TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the TRD supercharger on my 99 Taco last December and have put about 5k miles on it. My question is...I hear a high frequency whisle under light acceleration. If I let up on the gas a little, it goes away. If I give it more gas, it is replaced with the rrrrring sound of the blower. Does any body else experience this and if so, is there anything that can be done to silence it????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The noise I am speaking of is not the typical "blower whine". It is an extremely high pitched whisle. It sounds similar to the hearing tests they used to give in school with the head phones. I am trying to determine if this is normal or if something is leaking air.

·
Registered
15 Posts
avswincup said:
I installed the TRD supercharger on my 99 Taco last December and have put about 5k miles on it. My question is...I hear a high frequency whisle under light acceleration. If I let up on the gas a little, it goes away. If I give it more gas, it is replaced with the rrrrring sound of the blower. Does any body else experience this and if so, is there anything that can be done to silence it????
Nothing to worry about...if you have a boost gauge you will notice that when this whistle occurs around 0psi aka absolute zero (not the temp :p ) but your engine is sucking in the same amount of air that the supercharger is flowing (0 psi :) ).
I have also been told that it is from the bypass actuator being opened just a bit as it begins to enter boost (or enter vacum). This also relates to it being at 0psi as i mentioned.

Hope some of this helps :) Other than that it is totaly normal and dont worry about it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
avswincup said:
Where are you located?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WeasyS2S,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, you are correct about it happening at 0-1 p.s.i. Good to know that this is not unique to my setup.

Gadget,
I am in Denver Colorado

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If you were near one of our two shops I would of invited you in for a listen.

I am not sure what your wistle is, but I can tell you how to ensure the bypass valve is working correctly.

With the engine off, look at the bypass valve. It should be in the closed/boost position. Work it with your hand and make sure it is all the way closed against the stop. If the actuator is not installed properly, well at least on the 1st gen, the actuator rod can drag on the housing and prevent full closer. Force it open against the spring and let it go. It should quickly snap shut.

Now start the engine. The bypass valve will move all the way to the other side into the bypass posistion. Now reach over and quickly snap the throttle plate full open an quickly let it go. You should see the bypass valve quickly close and then when you release the throttle it should quickly move back to the bypass posistion.

If all that works correctly, you may need to look somewhere else for the noise.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
avs,

The whistle sound is normal. Do you have the stock intake or an upgrade? when i had my injen intake it whistled like non-other when i was around 0psi, the sound just resonates through the aluminum. I love the sound.

By the way im in denver also if you want to compare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gadget,
Thanks for the "step by step". Thats good information. The bypass valve does operate as you stated. I am guessing that the whistle is occuring when the diaphram on the bypass valve is not quite seated all the way. Probably just have to live with it, thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mizel03,
Its actually the stock intake with a TRD High Flow air filter. Thanks for the offer to compare, but it sounds like its not an issue to be concerned with. Ive gotten used to it, my dog on the other hand hates it. Have a good one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts