TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 I put a supercharger on summer before last. I have always been fortunate to not have any major pinging although I do not have the full fuel mods. I got most of them just not the injectors and ECU controller.

I have always used 93 octane as I should. Since I just moved up to Indy and recently discovered Sunoco fuel stops with 94 octane, I have been using it. I know I am lucky to have access to it. To be honest the truck runs fine.

But here is the question. at the Sunoco station I fill up at, they have Sunoco 110 octane racing fuel :cool:, Logic would say that if 93 and even 94 octane would be good for the supercharger, the 110 octane would be great. But I am thinking that it would be far too rich and would end up burning pistons, rings and other internals.

Is this thinking correct? I would love to waste some money and drop $2.60 for one gallon of the racing fuel just to see how the truck would respond, but I also don't want to waste that money and hurt the engine, even if it was just for a one time experiment of a few gallons.

I have also toyed with the idea of filling up with the 94 octane and spiking it with the 110. but I am not sure of the ratios I should consider. :confused:

Anyone feel like playing Devil's advocate on this one with me?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bump for ya cuz I am interested too.Not seen the Sunoco stuff but we have them here in va.I know the UPS guy who delivers to my work rides crotchrockets in a club and they get some fuel from the international airport here and it is some sick stuff.Maybe someone will post in and give us some light.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Sorry this isn't an answer for you but 110 octane race fuel for only $2.60 a gallon! I was going to fill up with that on my way home one day to try it out, but it was closer to $6 a gallon and decided to pass. bump for your cause.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
id make damn well sure that thats not leaded racing gas before you throw it in the truck. if it is leaded, most likely youd be kissing your cats goodbye

·
Banned
598 Posts
octane #'s don't dictate the energy released. it allows one to build higher compression motors while still controlling ignition properly.

so in the same motor, if 93 was fine, then moving to 110 octane will have very little diff.

...and, it's usually a lean fuel mixture that burns stuff up.

·
Registered
731 Posts
cvajs said:
octane #'s don't dictate the energy released. it allows one to build higher compression motors while still controlling ignition properly.

so in the same motor, if 93 was fine, then moving to 110 octane will have very little diff.

...and, it's usually a lean fuel mixture that burns stuff up.
I was told that if you tune for one octane level then make a big change in octane levels you will have to retune. I'm stuck with 91 here in California and have never bothered to try anything else so I can't say for sure.

Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Someone posted this link the other day in another thread and finally laid to rest all the rumors of octain ratings...finally...please read.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

oh yea and drabnor is right leaded gas will screw up your cats, fast.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
No since the higher octane knocks less, it actually does not burn as well as lower octane fuel. If it doesn't knock, it doesn't knock so you have no need to pay more for fuel than you already do. Especially when you could get less power than you get on the cheaper stuff. BTW the larger injectors are the main point of the fuel mods. All of the other stuff is just to make the larger injectors run. The TRD SC kit added air but did not address adding fuel to go with the extra air as all other forced induction kits on the market do.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Dick Foster said:
... The TRD SC kit added air but did not address adding fuel to go with the extra air as all other forced induction kits on the market do.

ah yes, that's why i was in favor of the Alpine kits which came with extra fuel delivery (injector) and the optional head spacers so one could run more psi.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Where could I go to look at these alpine s/c kits and do they make on for a 4cyl. Does anyone here on the board run a turbo like the one Lc Engineering offers.

·
Banned
598 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Bear said:
I have a '97 I put a supercharger on summer before last. I have always been fortunate to not have any major pinging although I do not have the full fuel mods. I got most of them just not the injectors and ECU controller.

I have always used 93 octane as I should. Since I just moved up to Indy and recently discovered Sunoco fuel stops with 94 octane, I have been using it. I know I am lucky to have access to it. To be honest the truck runs fine.

But here is the question. at the Sunoco station I fill up at, they have Sunoco 110 octane racing fuel :cool:, Logic would say that if 93 and even 94 octane would be good for the supercharger, the 110 octane would be great. But I am thinking that it would be far too rich and would end up burning pistons, rings and other internals.

Is this thinking correct? I would love to waste some money and drop $2.60 for one gallon of the racing fuel just to see how the truck would respond, but I also don't want to waste that money and hurt the engine, even if it was just for a one time experiment of a few gallons.

I have also toyed with the idea of filling up with the 94 octane and spiking it with the 110. but I am not sure of the ratios I should consider. :confused:

Anyone feel like playing Devil's advocate on this one with me?
This probably wont help at all, but I run 93 in my 2 stroke dirtbike and sometimes run 110-112 to clean out the engine. I think and I've also been told that a higher octane just burns cleaner. Its not necessarily that it gives more horsepower but just lets the engine run better. I have also heard exactly what someone said in a earlier post, that it is designed so that you can run a higher compression engine for racing.

Told you it wouldn't help, sorry I'm just trying to get my posts up in here. :D

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very good point!

drabnor said:
id make damn well sure that thats not leaded racing gas before you throw it in the truck. if it is leaded, most likely youd be kissing your cats goodbye
I just saw the pump with the 110 octane from across the gas station. I did not really inspect the pump as of yet. I would have not even been at the station to begin with, but my wife…knowing I am always concern with Octane numbers with the supercharger pointed out to me that the Sunoco had the 94%. I have ran two tanks of the 94 through it and the engine is already running a lot smoother than it did even on 93%. It may just be me since the only numbers I have are from my butt dyno. But I will definitely look into the lead issue before I ever do decide to try the 110.

thanks though for the heads up, I would have surely forgotten about that issue otherwise.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dick Foster said:
BTW the larger injectors are the main point of the fuel mods. All of the other stuff is just to make the larger injectors run. The TRD SC kit added air but did not address adding fuel to go with the extra air as all other forced induction kits on the market do.
Yea I knew the injectors are the most important component (I guess that is why they are so expensive)

I have too many things going on to be able to buy them soon. But they are on my wish list. I don't "race" like the school kids do. So I can live without them as well as my motor for a while longer. ( the most boost I am ever in is 4 maybe 5 psi, and that is only when I am entering the highway)

Basically to get back on topic, the 110% would basically be a disappointment in performance and a waste of money overall? I guess that was the question I was wanting answered when first posting to begin with.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Live4yotas said:
Where could I go to look at these alpine s/c kits and do they make on for a 4cyl. Does anyone here on the board run a turbo like the one Lc Engineering offers.

I don't know if anyone is running the turbo as you ask, but I am fairly certain that Nuke in New York runs the Alpine supercharger on his 4 banger. But Nuke is a very busy person so he may not be on the boards for a while to respond.

When thinking about the turbo, I would be concerned with turbo lag if you were trying to use it in an offroad type of application. But I guess you could "tune" it in by experimenting with the waste gate. But that is just a guess, I still have a lot to learn about engines and engine performance.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1noobie said:
Told you it wouldn't help, sorry I'm just trying to get my posts up in here. :D
Actually that is some help. Gives me the idea that it would be best to just consider it as a "cleaner". Next time it is due for some seafoam, I'll combine the seafoam with a dose of the 110…if indeed it is not leaded as mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Bear said:
Actually that is some help. Gives me the idea that it would be best to just consider it as a "cleaner". Next time it is due for some seafoam, I'll combine the seafoam with a dose of the 110…if indeed it is not leaded as mentioned earlier.
Just be careful man, I'm running it in a two stroke not a four and my engine is only about 45hp. I would do the mix first (94/110) just to try it out see how your engine reacts.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1noobie said:
Just be careful man, I'm running it in a two stroke not a four and my engine is only about 45hp. I would do the mix first (94/110) just to try it out see how your engine reacts.

Oh without a doubt, I don't think I will be ever running it straight anyway. This may be a mute discussion anyway. Right now "it ain't broke" so I don't plan on fix'n it.

If it is lead based fuel I am running the opposite direction regardless.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts