TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2000 Dodge Ram 1/2 Ton (single cab, short bed) with the 5.2L engine and 5sp Manual Transmission. (Purchased a few weeks ago... it was cheap)

I was hopping to join a stocker run sometime soon... but looks like I'll be waiting a little longer...lol

I posted this on a ram forum, but figure you guys may be able to assist too...

Presently, the Dodge is stuck in the back yard as I thought it was in 4 wheel drive, but neither front tire is turning. (I was hauling stuff to my place and drove back to the shed to so I didn't have to carry it very far.)

I checked vacuum and it seems good, and the 4WD indication is illuminated on the dash, the drive shaft between the transfer case and the front diff is turning...

My question, is it possible the actuator connected to the axle is what has gone bad, and is it possible the 4WD indication may be illuminated without actually engaging the front axle, or is this possibly broken components inside the front axle?

FYI, it is a D44 front axle...

Thanks for any assistance.
Mike

·
Registered
207 Posts
MOrePARts, lol just kiddin. Is it a manual T-case or Electronic?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dad came over to assist, and after a series of jacking and putting wood under the tires... we got it out of the back yard...

fyi, the 4wd indicator sensor is on the actuator, so I am lead tol believe either the actuator is not actuating enough, or something is wrong with the axle...

I am debating tearing into myself vs going to a local shop...

btw, don't buy dodge for offroading... there is almost no protection at all!!! everything is exposed for rocks to break...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I'm gonna guess it's most likely the actuator, if it were a internal prob I think you'd be hearing noises and possibly experiencing binding

but it's prob worth taking the cover off and giving it a quick visual inspection anyway, if I'm thinking correctly you need to pull the cover to drain it so this presents a good opportunity for a fluid change

once you get that figured out let me know if you need assistance with armoring it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts