TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a conversation with one of our sponsors today that was both enlightening and disturbing at the same time.

I don't want to name the company as that would be unfair to them do to the inevitable backlash that would ensue. However they spend money on advertisement and monthly give away items etc. He thanked me for calling in with my issue instead of posting it on the board. It seems that this vendor has felt the sting of the "Professionals" that always seem to include their 2 cents on each and every topic. Instead of giving good advice such as "Call the manufacturer and get their input", the board darlings tend to send post after post bashing whatever company is in their sights when most of them have never even owned the product built by that company. The story is always the same " A friend of mine once upon a time..".

My point is we have sponsors and vendors who spend a lot of cash to keep this board free for those who choose not to be a contributor. It seems that TTORA is getting a bad reputation with not only the newer members and veteran members but also our sponsors. Is it time for some stricter monitoring? Maybe a moderator should jump in when a sponsor is getting the crap beat out of him and actually moderate. Who really gives a crap if an asshole or two gets banned? We have new members joining every day. If we don't do something to retain these new members then the issue will never go away but our sponsors will.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I had a conversation with one of our sponsors today that was both enlightening and disturbing at the same time.

I don't want to name the company as that would be unfair to them do to the inevitable backlash that would ensue. However they spend money on advertisement and monthly give away items etc. He thanked me for calling in with my issue instead of posting it on the board. It seems that this vendor has felt the sting of the "Professionals" that always seem to include their 2 cents on each and every topic. Instead of giving good advice such as "Call the manufacturer and get their input", the board darlings tend to send post after post bashing whatever company is in their sights when most of them have never even owned the product built by that company. The story is always the same " A friend of mine once upon a time..".

My point is we have sponsors and vendors who spend a lot of cash to keep this board free for those who choose not to be a contributor. It seems that TTORA is getting a bad reputation with not only the newer members and veteran members but also our sponsors. Is it time for some stricter monitoring? Maybe a moderator should jump in when a sponsor is getting the crap beat out of him and actually moderate. Who really gives a crap if an asshole or two gets banned? We have new members joining every day. If we don't do something to retain these new members then the issue will never go away but our sponsors will.

it's a good point, but there is no 24/7 staff here others have lives, but a sponsor attacking another sponsor is unacceptable and it is strictly dealt with on a quick basis. I've not seen many threads of a member bashing a sponsor , every company has their pros and cons so I cannot comment on that further.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input..
So I am clear the conversation was about Members attacking sponsors.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yeah I have seen it. I don't give any credit - and ignore comments from members who comments on something they don't own or have directly had an issue with.

Good point Prodigy!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I haven't seen members bashing sponsors either.
But I have seen enough "know it all" bullshit on the part of forum members, especially the venerated veterans, to scare newbies away from certain upgrade opportunities.
Newbies, especially, need to talk to manufacturers directly to get the whole story instead of relying fully on the hearsay that is so rampant on a forum of this type.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My feelings are that if you have an active marketing strategy and a good business model, a board of ~2500 members with less being actively involved will not greatly impact you business...this is a buyer be ware society and business are in the business to make money...not necessarily answer questions(that may be their only differentiation in some cases)!

I patronage the sponsors whom I know have a sound business model and will be around because they have good products and services...the sponsors that don't have a good relationship and are not seeing good results probably haven't done their market research and are not connecting to the clients or potential clients in a productive matter!

the only time I will feel sorry for a company owner is if they get screwed by regulations or larger companies!

you don't need to use a product to know if it is good or not!!
you can tell by the materials used and the business model what to expect...if you do the research, observe, and know how things work...you can figure out the results people will see.

I personally think people will spend their money any way they want regardless...

BTW....a good number of the sponsors you see here started their business because of poor service and products from companies years ago...and some of them run their business the same way!

You will rarely get the whole story from the manufacture (or sale agent) because they would be giving a way their competitive advantage and possibly any differentiation they have from the competitors!! Plus they are in the business of making money...the bottom line is the bottom line!

The less you know the easier you are to market too... or manipulate as the case may be!

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
a bitch is a bitch and a bitch ain't shit.

Thanks for your input..
So I am clear the conversation was about Members attacking sponsors.
i am giddy with excitement to respond to this thread.

when someone "pimps" a product and work for/make a profit/benefit from said "pimping"- shouldn't they become a sponsor?

as for attacking sponsors- i have on more than one occasion conveyed my strong and firm opinions of the scum some companies hire.
when employees attempt to defraud people that would more than likely have given them their last rubber in a whore house in boystown, i have a major problem.
maybe the "attacks" aren't directed towards the sponsors, rather the staff.

since people seem to want to air opinions, and critisisms- let's get the facts out, instead of being a......

*by the way, SurfingDrunk never wrote this, a maintenance worker did. wait, a roommate! shit, wait, some apartment manager is writing this. holy fuck, i hope they don't try to use SurfingDrunk's credit cart!!! motherfucker, anyone know how to clear a hard drive?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i am giddy with excitement to respond to this thread.

when someone "pimps" a product and work for/make a profit/benefit from said "pimping"- shouldn't they become a sponsor?

as for attacking sponsors- i have on more than one occasion conveyed my strong and firm opinions of the scum some companies hire.
when employees attempt to defraud people that would more than likely have given them their last rubber in a whore house in boystown, i have a major problem.
maybe the "attacks" aren't directed towards the sponsors, rather the staff.

since people seem to want to air opinions, and critisisms- let's get the facts out, instead of being a......

*by the way, SurfingDrunk never wrote this, a maintenance worker did. wait, a roommate! shit, wait, some apartment manager is writing this. holy fuck, i hope they don't try to use SurfingDrunk's credit cart!!! motherfucker, anyone know how to clear a hard drive?

When they begin paying for advertisement yes they become a sponsor. Regardless of anyones opinion of their product. If you don't like their product then don't buy it. At the same time it isn't your place to tell someone else not to buy it unless there are obvious misrepresentations as to the capabilities. And unless you have expereinced those misrepresentations first hand then you have no place knocking the product. (the use of the word "you" is not directed at any single person)

Has there been a sponsor product that was outright misrepresented?

If someone is trying to sell a bogus product (the Tornado Fuel saver!) then yeah I would make my opinion known but in a non confrontational way. I believe WAY more members tell new members they should buy brand X because it is better than brand Y based on opinion. However for the majority of people they do not need TOP end equipment when their idea of wheelin may be getting to a fishing hole that has some ruts in the road.

I am not familiar with the issue you have given and agree that there are some shady characters out there. With that said there are sales people who have a job to do. Getting in the way of that person's responsibilities is wrong. Regardless of anyones opinion. State facts and not opinion.

Perception is Key. If a sponsor percieves he is being wronged then to him that becomes fact.

I wasn't "airing" an opinion I was relaying information based upon information given to me from a sponsor. And asking if something should be done.

If you think that TTORA isn't getting a bad rap because of the more senior members BS you are dead wrong. If it wasn't for the people on COTTORA I would have given up on this club within the first month.

Instead of being a what?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I worked in Professional Audio (commercial and high end home whole house audio and home theater) for a long time (13 years) and have very strong opinion's on what the better products out there are. However I learned early in my audio career that there is no such thing as a "Best" speaker.
Personally I hate every aspect of Bose speakers, I hate their marketing, their sound and their quality. I was even kicked out of a training class at "The Mountain" by Omar himself for questioning the validity of his theory. Isn't "stereo everywhere" really mono?

Most Professionals in high end audio will have the same opinion as me.

Here is the kicker as a business person I would WANT to sell Bose in my store for the simple fact they have the name brand and there are SO many people that will buy an inferior product (Sony) and spend WAY more money because of name recognition. As a sales person if a customer or company came to me and said I want Bose. I am not going to argue with them. Because my opinion is not relevant. If they are happy with their purchase then so am I.
Does this make me "Scum"?

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
I wasn't "airing" an opinion I was relaying information based upon information given to me from a sponsor...... Instead of being a what?
my comments were referring to a sponsor who replied to this thread.

*i have zero cow with you, or your concerns with badmouthing sponsors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts