TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would pass this along for u guys that have surefire flashlights....Today I bought a maglight (C-cell) holder which consists of 2 clips and it works perfect for securing your surefire in place...since i dont have the clock in my truck i mounted it on that spot...holds the flashlight really snug and now it wont roll under my seats or all over the floor anymore...

Edit- Damnit, I shoulda probably put this in cheap tricks instead......mods if u prefer it over there then feel free to move it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was just browsing eBay for one of those. Those things are bloody expensive. Looks like I'll just have to stick to my Maglite.

I mounted one in my car (right inside the trunk). I would kill for a Surefire for inside, though.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're worth it though, brightest flashlight i've ever owned...I have a 2D mag that I keep in the house, but that surefire was a perfect flashlight for the truck/road.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just use a minimag light for my truck, stays in the center console...

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Those clips were probably great back in the 80-90's but there are better items out there now
Just a warning:
Those plastic maglite clips tend to break easily (from personal experience)
Also- since there is no positive locking mechnism- its a good way for the flshlight to become a projectile-
I ordered a bunch of Quick-fists- just haven't had time to mount them yet.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61588

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Great idea. The quick fist do work great. I have got a surefire, bright as the sun at night but sure sucks the juice, about 80 minutes of run time...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own a few surfires and although I like them I hate the battery cost and how often they go out. I also have had issues with them getting turned on by accident and melting the lenses (cheap G2). The flashlight I have been the most impressed by is my Streamlight 4AA Luxeon LED flashlight. It runs cool. Its brighter than a 60 lumen surefire. It takes AA batteries. Has a long run time( several hours). The bulbs dont burn out as fast. And for the biggest part. Its under $40 bucks. You dont want the multiple LED model. The one I am talking about is the Luxeon model. Here is a link. I have seen this light for cheaper so shop around. I am going to try and use this cheap trick to mount my 4AA.
http://www.tacticalflashlights.com/flashlights/ST68344.html
EDIT: Streamlight has the yellow ones on sale for 29.99
http://www.streamlight-flashlights.com/4aa-propolymer-led-flashlight.html

·
Banned
722 Posts
I own a few surfires and although I like them I hate the battery cost and how often they go out. I also have had issues with them getting turned on by accident and melting the lenses (cheap G2). The flashlight I have been the most impressed by is my Streamlight 4AA Luxeon LED flashlight. It runs cool. Its brighter than a 60 lumen surefire. It takes AA batteries. Has a long run time( several hours). The bulbs dont burn out as fast. And for the biggest part. Its under $40 bucks. You dont want the multiple LED model. The one I am talking about is the Luxeon model. Here is a link. I have seen this light for cheaper so shop around. I am going to try and use this cheap trick to mount my 4AA.
http://www.tacticalflashlights.com/flashlights/ST68344.html
EDIT: Streamlight has the yellow ones on sale for 29.99
http://www.streamlight-flashlights.com/4aa-propolymer-led-flashlight.html
Neither of your links work.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Someone say flashlights? That's another hobby of mine, or was until recently. (stop laughing)

Those SL Pro Polymer Lux's are excellent lights, I keep one loaded with lithiums in my pack. But SF's are my daily lights, either stock or some are modded.

If you're on a budget check out the Brinkman Maxfire, they're about $20 at Target or Walmart and use a similar lamp assy to a Surefire P60 (G2, 6P). For the price they can't be beat. Also for batteries, make sure you're mail ordering them. From places like www.batterystation.com www.amondotech.com or a few others that sell the 123's for about $1.25 each.

And if you're still using an incan Maglight, at least look into their LED dropins. I personally keep a modded Lux III 3D maglite in my truck at all times.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Someone say flashlights? That's another hobby of mine, or was until recently. (stop laughing)

Those SL Pro Polymer Lux's are excellent lights, I keep one loaded with lithiums in my pack. But SF's are my daily lights, either stock or some are modded.

If you're on a budget check out the Brinkman Maxfire, they're about $20 at Target or Walmart and use a similar lamp assy to a Surefire P60 (G2, 6P). For the price they can't be beat. Also for batteries, make sure you're mail ordering them. From places like www.batterystation.com www.amondotech.com or a few others that sell the 123's for about $1.25 each.

And if you're still using an incan Maglight, at least look into their LED dropins. I personally keep a modded Lux III 3D maglite in my truck at all times.
My Pro Poly runs on AA's. Whats the benift of the Lithiums in it? Thats the biggest benifit IMO, running on AA's that is. I hear you on flashlights as a hobby. I own a lighting company so I am pretty involved in lights and new products. Another good thing about that light is that I have dropped it from about 20ft high and it land on concrete without doing any damage besides cosmetic. Those P60s have gone out on me at really bad times. But I still like em. Luxeon is outstanding and will be the future of lights IMO.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Looks like a hassle... with a flashlight and waste bag impeding the Parking Brake (Fumbling for that handle in an emergency is dumb)

I'll assume yer auto trans and don't mess with the PB regularily
btw the PB adjusts your drums... when utilized

Flashlight

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Cheap-er Trick

1.) Open center console.
2.) Insert Surefire flashlight.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Which model is that SAR?
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/403/sesent/00

I have a few Surefires too, but haven't really tried to mount it anywhere. E2E with a GG&G TID in the center console, G2 on my belt, and sometimes my C3 with the turbo head in the passenger seat back pocket lights up my night. ;)

I've been thinking a G2 LED for work! (But I wonder what 12 hours of useful light means. 1 hour of 80 lumens, and 11 hours of 10 lumens? Hmmm....)

·
Registered
5,490 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
for the flashlight I used a surefire, it was issued, and put it in the middle. the holder is off of a bike, it held a little tire pump...or a surefire lol

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
A few comments:
MagLite clamps shouldn't be used with [email protected] off-road. The clips are brittle and the lights are heavy, so your light will be rolling around the floor. Get a QuickFist clamp if you must have a MagLite.

Good LED flashlights are better than average incandescent flashlights these days. They can't beat the output of high-output or HID burners (unless you get an expensive multi-emitter model like these or this) or these, but they are generally bright, long-running, and they don't burn out or change tint like incan does. Just be sure the LED emitter is by Cree, LumiLEDs/Luxeon/Phillips or Seoul Semi-Conductors (SSC)

I modified my 4D Mag with a SSC regulated at 900mAH and got useable light for 12 hours on old batteries. It's still a hammer with a light built in.
A good bet is a P-60 compatible Surefire (G2, 6P 9P, etc) or Brinkman Maxfire with an LED drop-in module or a BOGUSA or Wolf Eyes module if you don't want cheap Chinese product. Surefire has just recently switched over to include Cree in their LED line-up rather than the old-hat Luxeon IIIs, so those are great lights. In any case, "common" incandescents like Maglights just suck batteries and don't put out much.

CR123A batteries can be gotten for $1 each at http://batteryjunction.com/ (It appears they bought amondotech, which had the Titanium-brand batteries that got good review).

More light-fantatic info can be found at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts