TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like everyone and their uncle is doing SAS's these days so why aren't there more threads in this folder. :lmao:

Does it count to be in progress if you are prepping parts? If so then I guess I am in SAS progress.

I am currently working on cleaning up the axle and rear leaf springs. Then I need to re-work the knuckles and then I will be gutting the IFS and stuffing the axle on.

Latest time frame is Late January to maybe as late as early March
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you're telling me!

YUNADERIS said:
because most people talk about it and whine about not knowing what to do and they say they want this and that for this and that....it gets pretty old

but for you...you are lagging...you are way behind on your swap...hurry up damn you :)

I thought I would be finished almost a year ago. but when you have so many hurdles as I have, what can you say.

In the time I started thinking about doing the SAS, I have had rear seals go out on my taco axle, installed an unexpected supercharger, put in a roll cage (for security feeling with the supercharger) went from manual hubs to ADD hubs, moved twice, once to the opposite end of the country. Wife has lost two jobs and we built a house. Oh yea! and I have three kids (do I need to say any more?) :rolleyes:

Not everyone is you. hee hee! one week you decide to do it, then the next week you are done!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about that!

mudferret said:
Rob - WATRD set the bar pretty high on his SAS :)
:lmao:

Yea! I was thinking about doing a webcam, except all the workers are going to be without clothing! :rofl:

Something else taking me so long, training all the hooter girls in the area on how to turn a wrench! But it has been fun!

(hope my wife doesn't read this :eek:)
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
4,641 Posts
YUNADERIS said:
because most people talk about it and whine about not knowing what to do and they say they want this and that for this and that....it gets pretty old
Hey! That description fits me to a T!

I just want to make sure everything is ready before that "special moment," LOL.

I've been working on my swap for about a year now, and all I have for parts is the bare housing, some old shafts, brakes, and outers, a set of brand new tires, and brand new flattop knuckles.

Hopefully next fall it will go down. My buddy has a welder, tubing bender, grinder, and a heated garage.

Stop rushing us you damned SA guys! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YUNADERIS said:
wait.are you in INDY now?

Yup in Indy! moved in June freezing in October! :lmao:

so I can ask you anything huh? so when you start cutting, do you have to unbolt every bolt as you go. :rofl:

If you notice I only surf the web during the day…when I am at work. I have always done it this way, because I always have more time at work since I don't do anything anyway. :xdevil: Seriously though I don't have internet connection at the house so I am forced to get on the board during the day at work

Iam also seriously using all these little smiley's way too much! something I didn't have with Delphi!

Serious question here, you went to the 63" chevy's for the rear didn't you? I thought I remember where you said you did. Anyway. I measured mine yesterday, got a little concerned. Eventhough they came off a 86 4x4 suburban, they only measured 56" from eye to eye. Are those the right springs? I am going to use them regardless, since they are longer than stock, but I was just going "hmmm" over them and wanted to ask someone.
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
4,641 Posts
Bear said:
Serious question here, you went to the 63" chevy's for the rear didn't you? I thought I remember where you said you did. Anyway. I measured mine yesterday, got a little concerned. Eventhough they came off a 86 4x4 suburban, they only measured 56" from eye to eye. Are those the right springs? I am going to use them regardless, since they are longer than stock, but I was just going "hmmm" over them and wanted to ask someone.
AFAIK, the 63" springs only came from '88-'98 trucks, and maybe 'Burbans. The 1/2-ton 2wd is where it's at, though the 4wd will work, too.

Though you have probably seen this, I must refer you to the FAQ on the PBB: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20665&highlight=Chevy+spring+swap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,349 Posts
Bear said:
Serious question here, you went to the 63" chevy's for the rear didn't you? I thought I remember where you said you did. Anyway. I measured mine yesterday, got a little concerned. Eventhough they came off a 86 4x4 suburban, they only measured 56" from eye to eye. Are those the right springs? I am going to use them regardless, since they are longer than stock, but I was just going "hmmm" over them and wanted to ask someone.
88-98 Chevy's :xsmash:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Hey! That description fits me to a T!

I just want to make sure everything is ready before that "special moment," LOL.

I've been working on my swap for about a year now, and all I have for parts is the bare housing, some old shafts, brakes, and outers, a set of brand new tires, and brand new flattop knuckles.

Hopefully next fall it will go down. My buddy has a welder, tubing bender, grinder, and a heated garage.

Stop rushing us you damned SA guys! LOL
dont you get it? intimidation is the best form of flattery...:)

get it done
:D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
Bear said:
Yup in Indy! moved in June freezing in October! :lmao:

so I can ask you anything huh? so when you start cutting, do you have to unbolt every bolt as you go. :rofl:

If you notice I only surf the web during the day…when I am at work. I have always done it this way, because I always have more time at work since I don't do anything anyway. :xdevil: Seriously though I don't have internet connection at the house so I am forced to get on the board during the day at work

Iam also seriously using all these little smiley's way too much! something I didn't have with Delphi!

Serious question here, you went to the 63" chevy's for the rear didn't you? I thought I remember where you said you did. Anyway. I measured mine yesterday, got a little concerned. Eventhough they came off a 86 4x4 suburban, they only measured 56" from eye to eye. Are those the right springs? I am going to use them regardless, since they are longer than stock, but I was just going "hmmm" over them and wanted to ask someone.







sounds a bit short...should be darn close to 63 when you measure them

and damn you for moving to indy...lucky bastid
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
zszac111 said:
88-98 Chevy's :xsmash:

:( Like I said, I measured them the other day and they were exactly 56" from outside of the eye to outside the opposite eye. I would have measured them while still on the donor truck, but everyone forgot tape measures that day (figures huh?) We were after steering boxes and came across the springs by chance.

So what ill effects could this cause? I know with normal 63" you measure 7.5" from your stock hanger location and then you can use your stock shackle. With the shortness of mine, could I just move the mounting location of the hanger and still get away with using them? They are definately longer than the stock leaf pack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YUNADERIS said:
sounds a bit short...should be darn close to 63 when you measure them

and damn you for moving to indy...lucky bastid
:)

What do you mean "damn you for moving to indy"? I moved from San Antonio Texas! Where Mexican food is golden and the weather is nice and warm. :xcrybaby:

All we have up here is corn fields, and race tracks! which by the way, I have been here long enough to have been able to go to the Indy 500, the F1 race and the brickyard 400. As well as the Mac Tools NHRA nationals. They even have a 4 wheel drive jamboree at the fair grounds with over 5000 participants in dirt drags, tough truck comps, rock crawlin comps, monsters and show and shines. I have only been able to go to the truck jamboree so far. But next year I should be getting tickets for all the races. :D

Oh and of coarse that doesn't count for the daily car and bike "shows" at every stop light. During the nicer months you never know what is going to pull up beside you at a stop light. Not to mention with a little driving, you can stumble upon a custom/hot rod show anywhere in town. My step son and I did just that one Sunday. We just started driving and "tripped over" a car show with over 400 car entries…on this guys private land! It was awesome!

So to stay on topic, Do you think I am going to have any trouble using the shorter chevy springs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
I would have to say that the SAS's are so common place now.. that to most people its not a big deal anymore. Tacoma SAS's are a dime a dozen.

Yogi


Bear said:
Seems like everyone and their uncle is doing SAS's these days so why aren't there more threads in this folder. :lmao:

Does it count to be in progress if you are prepping parts? If so then I guess I am in SAS progress.

I am currently working on cleaning up the axle and rear leaf springs. Then I need to re-work the knuckles and then I will be gutting the IFS and stuffing the axle on.

Latest time frame is Late January to maybe as late as early March
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
11 Participants
Bear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top