TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to Tacomas-I have a 1995 3.4L Xtra Cab with 123k--I need to replace the brakes and suspension all around (leafs struts shocks maybe bushings) Im not too sure what else is involved-Im still learning about them. Does anyone have any suggestions for affordable brands, places to buy etc. Im not looking to lift or lower the truck but I do want it to handle a little tighter in turns.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Pete Barbano said:
Im new to Tacomas-I have a 1995 3.4L Xtra Cab with 123k--I need to replace the brakes and suspension all around (leafs struts shocks maybe bushings) Im not too sure what else is involved-Im still learning about them. Does anyone have any suggestions for affordable brands, places to buy etc. Im not looking to lift or lower the truck but I do want it to handle a little tighter in turns.
Go with HD bilsteins - should be available at any place online as well as autozone-
As far a brake pads - I prefer OEM...... - You can get you rotors resurfaced as long as they are thick enough.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
grillmasterp said:
Go with HD bilsteins - should be available at any place online as well as autozone-
As far a brake pads - I prefer OEM...... - You can get you rotors resurfaced as long as they are thick enough.
I don't "bump".... But this is about what I was thinking exactly. You should be satisfied with the results. So, BUMP.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
it depends on how hard you have been on the truck, and how much load you carry. All springs will sag after a while. The harder you are on them, the faster it happens. Wouldn't hurt; look at it that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help-i went with bilsteins and theyre being put on as i write this. The question now is with the brakes-my mechanic says the rear drums may need to be machined because theyre not smooth and the front disks need to be replaced which i kinda figured. Would it just be better to replace the drums than to machine them? He also gave me a choice between "cheap" foreign disks for $45 each or "good" American disks for $135 each. I dont really wanna spend a ton of cash since Im in college right now so Im leanin towards the cheapo ones but I dont want to run into problems a month from now-any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Pete Barbano said:
thanks for the help-i went with bilsteins and theyre being put on as i write this. The question now is with the brakes-my mechanic says the rear drums may need to be machined because theyre not smooth and the front disks need to be replaced which i kinda figured. Would it just be better to replace the drums than to machine them? He also gave me a choice between "cheap" foreign disks for $45 each or "good" American disks for $135 each. I dont really wanna spend a ton of cash since Im in college right now so Im leanin towards the cheapo ones but I dont want to run into problems a month from now-any suggestions?
SCREW CHEAP FORIEGN PARTS< AND EXPENSIVE AMERICAN PARTS. Use FACTORY rotors and drums. I, would just have the drums turned. The stock pads and rotors have an excellent reputation, and that is paramount with brakes. We have some dealers here who are sponsors, and they will give some kind of discount for TTORA members. I can't think of anything else, than enjoy yourself working on your truck!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Dude rotors are rotors. It's not like their ganna go to shit after 30000 miles. For 135 bucks you can get LC Engineering sloted/driller rotors as I recall. Thats almost as much as brembos cost. Get the cheap one. But buy them at autozone or something and they'll be cheaper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts