TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good resource for suspension design. Such as a book or website. Actually, to be more specific. I would like to learn more about the suspension on a trophy truck or class 1 buggy. Im interested in desert racing and the vehicals that are used in that type of racing. And also i would like to learn about long travel leaf springs suspensions too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know of anything specific to Desert Raincg vehicle suspension design, but all the main pricnipals are the same as on-road stuff. Someone should print a book like that. It would sell big-time!

There is a famous series of on-road race car design and setup by Carol Smith

http://www.carrollsmith.com/books/ngner2win.html

The series covers everyting...but if you are serious, you will want to get a basic understanding of the entire vehicle as a system.

If you just want to make some arms for your truck...Take a welding class at a local community college, and sweep floors at a local fabrication shop...they will help you get started. and ask lots of questions. Begin to draw up a suspension system (using a cad program like SolidWorks is best!)

Also, study all the pictures you can find online...and study the forums. I recommend www.Desertrides.com, and www.race-dezert.com. Lots of people building the stuff you are interested in, and lots of people willing to help.

I'll take time, but in a year, you will know a ton.

Come volunteer at some races!! you get to be around the vehicles and the racers will teach you a ton. PM me if you are interested.

Good Luck!!
Jon
V4DR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here are the suspension arms I designed for my Taco...using SolidWorks 2006.

I now have all the plate cut...but learn from my mistake!...measure twice..MORE LIKE 5 TIMES!!! I now have to modify the parts because I missed on a measurement.

Jon
V4DR

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, thanks for the info. i already capable of welding and fabricating. i was just curious about desert vehicals because of their impressive suspension systems. dont get me wrong, the suspension on an indy car or a gp car is impressive, but for sheer size and abuse i dont think there is much that will touch the suspension under a trophy truck. i guess what im looking for is the numbers. castor, camber. what happens when the front suspension is cycled through it range of motion? what happens to the rear axel and driveline when you have leafs and its cycled through its range of travel? are there dos and donts? other than that of comon sense? is it alot of it trial and error?

btw, i really like your suspension arms! and thank you for the help! and sorry if i miss spelled anything or it doesnt make sense, i typed this on my phone at work.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The numbers on an offroad truck shouldn't be that different from an onroad car, you just have to account for the larger travel numbers and abuse. Front end should try to achieve zero bumpsteer and camber change while maybe increasing caster while approaching bump for stability? If it's 4wd you also need to take into consideration the plunge of the cv. The steering may be the trickiest part, because I believe the rack needs to be moved to completely eliminate bumpsteer.
As for the rear end, the two piece driveshaft does become a problem when getting into higher travel numbers. Some people convert to a one-piece driveshaft or if you have a single cab I believe it is already a one-piece. Try to keep driveshaft plunge to a minimum and make sure pinion angle stays within spec. + - about 5*. It's not a bad idea to get a custom driveshaft made that has a fixed mount to the transmission and plunges on itself. If you link it this would be the hot ticket. Leaf springs aren't really all that complicated and most of the guesswork has already been taken out by vehicle constraints and the products available.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
see, i was thinking the same thing. onroad or offroad should work the same in theory, just they have different needs to please. i had the correct idea for a front suspension, i just had to make sure that i was in the ball park. i guess i was over thinking a leaf system. i understand what you said about the single piece drive shaft. i guess i was wondering alot about the driveline on a leaf system. does any one have any good pictures of a long travel leaf setup at diferent places in its travel? so you can see what happens to the drive line when its fully extended and fullt comressed? also, this might seem like a stupid question, but why does a truck have a two piece drive shaft? for example, my truck.

thanks for the info. this is starting to fill in alot of blanks:

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
This one is OK and the price is good. It's basic suspension stuff and does not deal with desert racing designs but it's good info for the money.
http://www.amazon.com/Chassis-Engineering-HP1055-Herb-Adams/dp/1557880557

I have this one but it's just a collection of mag articles so not much techincal depth, mostly pics. It would be OK for about half the price I guess but don't count on it for anything but maybe sparking an idea or two.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1557884064...e=380333&creativeASIN=1557884064&linkCode=asn
Four Wheeler has one like this too but I figured it wasn't worth the money.

The other more technical books cost bigger bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts