TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys have a question for ya.. I have an '04 xtra 3.4 trd, and want some opinions for my lift upgrade. Basically I want to throw on some 35x12.50 AT's. My question is (of course) what are some suggestions for suspension. What I don't want is..

SAS: Yes I am fully aware of all the advantages and I know I am an idiot for not going this way, but get over it I'm not doing it. I have to prove to some buddies that I can build a rig with IFS that can keep up with their soild axel- brace yourself for this- Honda Ridgeline. Yea I know I also told him countless times that he wasted his money buying a uni-body so called "truck."

The lift to be anymore than what is necessary: I need a lift to clear 35's. What I don't need is a lift to clear 44's or a foot and a half gap between my tire and fender.

More than a 1.5" body lift: Personally I don't like the appearance of trucks with excessive body lifts, and I'm the one driving it.

Well that's the challenge, I appreciate all the help and remeber he's bragging about a Ridgeline.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Hey guys have a question for ya.. I have an '04 xtra 3.4 trd, and want some opinions for my lift upgrade. Basically I want to throw on some 35x12.50 AT's. My question is (of course) what are some suggestions for suspension. What I don't want is..

SAS: Yes I am fully aware of all the advantages and I know I am an idiot for not going this way, but get over it I'm not doing it. I have to prove to some buddies that I can build a rig with IFS that can keep up with their soild axel- brace yourself for this- Honda Ridgeline. Yea I know I also told him countless times that he wasted his money buying a uni-body so called "truck."

The lift to be anymore than what is necessary: I need a lift to clear 35's. What I don't need is a lift to clear 44's or a foot and a half gap between my tire and fender.

More than a 1.5" body lift: Personally I don't like the appearance of trucks with excessive body lifts, and I'm the one driving it.

Well that's the challenge, I appreciate all the help and remeber he's bragging about a Ridgeline.
sorry to burst your bubble but IFS on 35s won't go a lot of places a SA rig will. To fully clear 35s (w/o doing a whole lot of cutting and welding) you'll need around 9" of lift. doing so will put your COG way the hell up there to 'really tippy' land. Can you go most places a SA rig goes? yes, but you can do that on 33s with enough armor, lockers an a crawler.

the taller the tire the faster you'll snap CVs, blow upper ball joints and steering racks, period.

you'll have to regear to be at all realistic.

You can do a LT setup with 35s but it involves a lot of body modification/cutting, etc, glass fenders and bed and firewall tubbing. TLT has the writup with very detailed instructions.

good luck.

·
Registered
401 Posts
your taco will be more then capable with 32 or 33 inch tires, 35s are only 1 inch taller then 33s and i doubt youll actually need that extra inch, plus i think our compact trucks look weird with all that lift...

·
Registered
212 Posts
let me help this out by sayin i run 34.4 in. tires on a 6in lift. :( sorry to say that its a 3in suspension and a 3 in body but i don't have the money for a 6in fabtech right now. :D just to correct hytenor.:D you can clear 35's on a 6 inch lift. u won't be able to turn as tight and ur bumper will have to moved forward about 2-3 inches:welder: . but it is possible cuz i'm doin it right now. no :saw: required. if u don't want to do that. you can always do a 6in lift with a small spacer up front. that will keep ur truck level and will clear the tires. oh yeah for the comment on u can't go where a SAS truck can go. yeah right i'm in Mississippi. My truck and my friends with the same setup on 33's went were a 84 yota on 33's went. the only problem we encoutered was that my friend would bottom out where me and the 84 wouldn't. Always a good idea to keep your skid plate trust me lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was wondering if yall coulf help me. i got a 3inch body lift on my 96 tacoma and im running 33's. ring what kind of gas milage i would get with a six inch suspesion lift but still with the 33's.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i'm gettin 17.8. using a formula i found on here to find out my mileage. R u keepin the body lift and adding a 6in lift or are u ditching the body lift.:saw:
u also need to keep in mind that there will be a huge gap if u have a 9in lift and 33s......that is ur personal preference though so do wat u think will look best.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
let me help this out by sayin i run 34.4 in. tires on a 6in lift. :( sorry to say that its a 3in suspension and a 3 in body but i don't have the money for a 6in fabtech right now. :D just to correct hytenor.:D you can clear 35's on a 6 inch lift. u won't be able to turn as tight and ur bumper will have to moved forward about 2-3 inches:welder: . but it is possible cuz i'm doin it right now. no :saw: required. if u don't want to do that. you can always do a 6in lift with a small spacer up front. that will keep ur truck level and will clear the tires. oh yeah for the comment on u can't go where a SAS truck can go. yeah right i'm in Mississippi. My truck and my friends with the same setup on 33's went were a 84 yota on 33's went. the only problem we encoutered was that my friend would bottom out where me and the 84 wouldn't. Always a good idea to keep your skid plate trust me lol.
there are several versions of the term "clear" in this club. I choose to stick with the definition as meaning absolutely no tire rub and full wheel travel; I doubt your lift meets that criteria.

A little rubbin ain't nothing ;)

As for IFS going where SAS goes...it depends completely on the terrain. I'd love to see your truck run Axle Alley in AZ :rolleyes:

A well equiped IFS on 33s with 2-3" of lift and plenty of armor, aftermarket bumpers, sliders, etc. can run the Rubicon provided the driver has half a clue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
9 inches, you can run 38's. 6 inches is plenty to run 35's, i did 35's without any rubbing whatsoever. the 38's on 9 inches you gotta cut though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
im on about 3" suspension, 1.5" body lift, and i can clear 35's. ive grinded away what hits at full lock...but it still rubs slightly under full stuff and half turn up front. in the rears, i rub, but only at full stuff. not sure how it is on the tacoma's..but 3rd gen runners (basically the same platform) can clear them.

as for going where the SA's go..i do (mostly). of course i wont go where the exo'd flatdecked trucks that dont care about body damage go. you'll snap CV's if you go too much on the gas at full lock if youre locked...or if youre just being dumb.

oh..and yes. definitely regear. you can go without..but why...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts