TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OME w/ spacers?

Alright guys, here's what I have:

I have a 3" revtek right now and I just bought a winch bumper and am about to get a 8,000# warn. I know the added weight will cause my stock coils to sag very quick. I dont want to invest in coilovers because I am saving for a SAS that I would like to do by this summer. What other options do I have?
Could I use some 881's along with the spacers on my stock struts? any suggestions?

-Lincoln

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I realized that OME coils won't fit on stock struts.
So here's my next question, would it work to run 881's on OME struts along with a spacer? Would the added weight of the bumper keep the cv's at a decent angle but not too sag?

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
The Revtech lift is a spacer, correct? I would think the cheapest way to do it would be to replace the stock coils with new or slightly used OEM coils or used/settled OME 881's. Why wouldn't the OME's take the stock strut? All you are doing is replacing the coil. No need to spend the extra $$$ on new struts.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oppositeboy said:
Why wouldn't the OME's take the stock strut? All you are doing is replacing the coil.QUOTE]

They said the OME coil is a larger diameter, so it won't work on a stock strut.

I was hoping to use the 1"-2" of lift from the OME 881's to absorb the weight of the bumper/winch and still have to 3" from my spacers to clear my tires.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
02taco4x4 said:
Alright guys, here's what I have:

I have a 3" revtek right now and I just bought a winch bumper and am about to get a 8,000# warn. I know the added weight will cause my stock coils to sag very quick. I dont want to invest in coilovers because I am saving for a SAS that I would like to do by this summer. What other options do I have?
Could I use some 881's along with the spacers on my stock struts? any suggestions?

-Lincoln
Depending on what bumper you are getting the OME will NOT support the weight AND maintain much lift. You will also be very limited as to speed on bumpy roads. The 881s will hold the weight but you'll be at about stock height. The front end will also bottom out on big bumps/dips.

OME's coils are 500# units that the OE shocks cannot dampen...been tried with humorous results ;)

You could contact Camburg.com and see if they can get you a set of 600#/15" Elbach coils but you'll still need new shocks that are valved for that rate of spring. Downey has adjustables with 600# coils for $600.

been there, done that...now have SAWs.

There really is NO cheap solution.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
hytenor said:
Depending on what bumper you are getting the OME will NOT support the weight AND maintain much lift. You will also be very limited as to speed on bumpy roads. The 881s will hold the weight but you'll be at about stock height. The front end will also bottom out on big bumps/dips.

OME's coils are 500# units that the OE shocks cannot dampen...been tried with humorous results ;)

You could contact Camburg.com and see if they can get you a set of 600#/15" Elbach coils but you'll still need new shocks that are valved for that rate of spring. Downey has adjustables with 600# coils for $600.

been there, done that...now have SAWs.

There really is NO cheap solution.
Anothewr option could be to have Downey put together a kit that has the tacoma shock body, with their tundra spring. It is supposed to be around 7-800lb. Iwas over there, and another guy was there with your same problem. So maybe they can do that for you.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Anothewr option could be to have Downey put together a kit that has the tacoma shock body, with their tundra spring. It is supposed to be around 7-800lb. Iwas over there, and another guy was there with your same problem. So maybe they can do that for you.
SFtoyota has that kit on his dcab. so far/so good but he doesn't have near the articulation he used to have. We both installed the same bumpers at my place.

My SAWs have 675#/15" Elbach coils in them and I think they are a tad too heavy. One of these days I'll swap them out for some 600 pounders of the same height and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yeah, I think 700-800lb on the front of a taco is A LOT. But then again, a winch is not light, and add on some slop and gear, and maybe that would be enough. I can imagine how those ukutight springs would start a fight with the truck if pushed. It would hopefully still be better than the stock setup.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Yeah, I think 700-800lb on the front of a taco is A LOT. But then again, a winch is not light, and add on some slop and gear, and maybe that would be enough. I can imagine how those ukutight springs would start a fight with the truck if pushed. It would hopefully still be better than the stock setup.
well, anything is better than stock but those 800# coils are just overkill IMO. The v6 dcab is certainly heavier than my 2.7 excab but the engines are only 100# different. thes 675s are a little too much for even all the extra weight I have on the truck. 200# winch/bumper, 100# of skids, nearly 100# of sliders. tool kit, spare parts, etc. ;)

the stiffer the coils the less articulation you'll have. I got spoiled with the full travel of the OMEs.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You will need beefier coils, but you might want to look into something called timbrens. Lots of guys use them on ifs trucks that run snowplows. They basically are a super-beefy bumpstop that takes the weight, but they do compress somewhat. i've never used them myself , my plow truck is an 89 toyota and I just jacked the hell out of the torsion bars. But if you're looking for a relatively cheap solution short term, they might do the job for you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BMWTACO said:
You will need beefier coils, but you might want to look into something called timbrens. Lots of guys use them on ifs trucks that run snowplows. They basically are a super-beefy bumpstop that takes the weight, but they do compress somewhat. i've never used them myself , my plow truck is an 89 toyota and I just jacked the hell out of the torsion bars. But if you're looking for a relatively cheap solution short term, they might do the job for you.
Is this what you are talking about? http://www.stengelbros.com/catalog/toftun4_1704369.htm
They just replace the factory bumpstop to help prevent sag?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts