TTORA Forum banner

What suspension set up to go with?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am in the works of trying to plan out my mods for the taco in preparation of moving to Hawaii and I was hoping to get some input and some help deciding.

I am basically torn between 3 setups. I think for the rear I am just going to do the 63" chevy swap. They ride great and flex like mad!!! :kewl:

What I am torn on is the front. I am thinking either the Camburg 2.5" coilovers, the Donahoe coilovers (I would like the long travels but then I HAVE to buy the upper control arms) or the OME 2.5" lift kit. What I want out of my suspension is reliability for one, a good ride, and as good of flex as can be had with IFS. I have also been considering the All-pro front coil kit and now that I look back at it I realize its right up there with the others if not better because it comes with the upper control arms. Anyways, vote away on the poll and please give me your input and other ideas I may not have thought of yet. Keep in mind I am not made of money and I am still trying to plan out how I am going to afford this, tires/wheels, and Neilfab rock gaurds all around in the next six months and that I am also going to the most anal state when it comes to vehicle inspections so dont come back with the "SAS it!" junk that you all know I am dieing to do! :D

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Man I have no idea what to tell you other then SAS. LOL

I understand why you can't SAS it. What size tire are you planning on running? You do know that the Gov. willnot ship lifted trucks to Ha. I had a find with a YJ on 33" and they said it was too high. I may want to look into the regs on shipping first.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
usmcracing said:
Man I have no idea what to tell you other then SAS. LOL

I understand why you can't SAS it. What size tire are you planning on running? You do know that the Gov. willnot ship lifted trucks to Ha. I had a find with a YJ on 33" and they said it was too high. I may want to look into the regs on shipping first.
Thanks for that info I will have to look into that...I want to run a 285/75, 32"/33" I guess I could wait to buy tires in HI but they will probably cost alot more there...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
287 Posts
:supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xx1joe1xx said:
:supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay::supergay:

HAfawkingHA! :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Drew got the 285's under his Taco with the OME kit. I'm not sure how it does offroad cause he's never driven it offroad.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Brian,
That pretty much the same boat I am in as well. I want to do chevies in the rear and the ome in the front.

Chevies will give you anywhere from 3-6 inches of lift, depending on a whole hell of a lot of factors (age, year of springs, mounting application, etc...).

An adjustable coilover such as camburg, donahoe, swayaway, are all good choices and you cannot go wrong with either one.

Realistically, I would suggest deciding what size tire you need to run, figure out what you can afford for the front, and then research springs for the rear. Stay away from blocks or other silly non functional bullshit.

You can call deaver, alcan, etc and have them custom build the rear springs. Or you can do even more research and find out what is locally available at the junkyard and will fit your needs.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
91toyota4x4 said:
Who cares what 3" lift you get, they all do the same thing, lift it 3". It's gonna be gay unless you cut and tub the fenders and run 35s with that 3" lift!!
Once again you know I am all about going crazy on this thing but it has to pass inspection in hawaii every year!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
well i had 285s on my truck with a 3" and they rubbed like crazy in the front. in reverse i could only turn about a 1/4 of the way and in a foward gear i could turn about 3/4. that was with no trimming at all or pinch weld pounding though.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
91toyota4x4 said:
Oh to get 35s under there you have to cut a big hole in the floor and then patch it back up. Not pinch weld pounding, it's pinch weld elimination.
Ya I'm not quite that far with the taco yet...my wife would freak! :eek:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 24 Posts