TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Manual. I have only had it @ 2 months & Love it! I am very interested in lifting the vehicle a good bit for off-roading. I have never done anything like this. However, I am pretty handy. Can anyone recomend where i shuold start? Also is something that is giong to be very dificult, or should I be able to do this on my own. Thanks for any adivce that you can give.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
btm80 said:
I have a 2003 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Manual. I have only had it @ 2 months & Love it! I am very interested in lifting the vehicle a good bit for off-roading. I have never done anything like this. However, I am pretty handy. Can anyone recomend where i shuold start? Also is something that is giong to be very dificult, or should I be able to do this on my own. Thanks for any adivce that you can give.
The typical suspension lift is easy to install. Aside from the basic tools you'll want a floor jack and jack stands. If you have to disassemble your coil over to reuse the top plate, air tools make coil compression a LOT easier, although it's still a pain in the ass and coil compressors can be scary at times.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I second Chris's link at customtacos.com. Read up on the differnt types of lifts available as well as what you can afford, but the consensus will be to do it right the first time and you won't have to spend more money in the future. I, unfortunately, didn't have enough $$$ at the time I did my lift so I bought coil spacers and it's been almost 2 years and I finally have enough money for SAWs.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
btm80 said:
so much depends on how much $ you can/are willing to spend.
what do you want to do with your truck, what type wheeling?
how much lift are you talking about?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replys. Toi answer your question hytenor, I am not really interested in rock climbing. I guess more Trail & Mud. Would 3" be enough, or should i go 6". Thanks again for the reply's.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
btm80 said:
Thanks for the quick replys. Toi answer your question hytenor, I am not really interested in rock climbing. I guess more Trail & Mud. Would 3" be enough, or should i go 6". Thanks again for the reply's.
3" will get you into 32x11.50s or 33x10.50s on stock rims with no trimming/bashing really needed. minor rubbing on occasion.

for 33x12.50s you need more lift to clear the fenders so 5-6" and minor rubbing is still an issue.

If you really want to go to 35s you get into a different catagory...more things will break sooner. :D
8-9" of lift to realistically "clear" the tires but you can 'make it work' with 6" or so and some major trimming/bashing.

if you have the 2.7 you will most likely need to regear for the larger tires; it will somewhat depend on what gears you have now. with 4.30s (5-sp) or 4.56s (AT) you can 'get by' running 33s but it drove me nuts.
If you have the v6 you can run 33s but will notice the power drop especially on hills, towing, etc.

basically, all it takes is $$$ and lots of it ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have decided that i do not want to have to purchase new wheels. So, after a lot of research, it seems to me i should go with a three inch lift. I am not sure which route to go. I am thinking of spacers in the front and a leaf in the back. Does anyone have any suggestions, or recomend anything different. As i stated earlier, I have never done anything like this, so does anyone have any prefered brands? Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
toytec makes a great 3 inch spacer kit with AAL and are having a great sale, something like 169.00 with no shipping charges. im ordering mine this weekend. great customer service too, email them with any questions you have.
www.toyteclifts.com
-darren

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
btm80 said:
I have decided that i do not want to have to purchase new wheels. So, after a lot of research, it seems to me i should go with a three inch lift. I am not sure which route to go. I am thinking of spacers in the front and a leaf in the back. Does anyone have any suggestions, or recomend anything different. As i stated earlier, I have never done anything like this, so does anyone have any prefered brands? Thanks.
then stick with the narrower tires like the 32s or 33x10.50s, both will fit well on OE rims.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If you like the ride in back, but want some lift, without a lot of heartache later, go with a shackle in back. It will actually DO something positive, without warping your stock spring pack like an add a leaf. Downey off road has a kit with shackles, and an extender for the exhaust pipe. As for the front, DON'T BE CHEAP!!!! A coilover kit will give you 2"-2-1/2" on a 4wd taco, without too much sacrifice. You'll clear all the tire you will need for a start, and the truck will at least handle well. There are so many front end setups now, it's hard to list them. But try camburg, fox, donahoe, sway a way, or king. These are top teir, will set you back between $700-950. Depending on size and spring. Downey makes a coilover which uses a bilstien shock, that is a little older style, but still rebuildable. I put the Downey unit on my truck, while waiting to get all the parts together for my build up, I want the whole front at once. The cost was a bit better than the sway away setup. For what it's worth, the ride is TONS better than stock. Some have complained they could break them, etc. I can promise you. Watch this boards' posts, and see what these guys in N.Cal and Colorado do to their trucks. ANYTHING can be broken!!! Read up, and save some money up. You're gonna need it!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey what part of huntington you from? bolsa chica and warner for me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yall forgot about OME lifts. Instead of spacers you get actual springs. I say go with those if not running any extra weight(bumper/winch) up front. My truck rides rougher than it did stock with the spacer. Its not too bad but i would love some OME coils and some of there Soft valved struts to replace mine. Dont forget about Fabtech either. They have some adjustable coilovers for around 500$ that can be rebuilt or some that are just the basic and you replace when they where out for around 350$.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts