TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would be the best place to go and get a 6 in. Suspension Lift put on my truck in the Houston area? I know that 4WP is a good place but they are kind of expensive. Where have yall got yalls lifts put on at and how much am i looking at spending on a 6 in. lift installed for my Taco?

Thanks Daniel

·
Row Row Row your Boat
1,632 Posts
If you are not able or willing to do the lift yourself, and you are set on a 6"er, then locally, I could say The Shop in league city is a decent place, maybe a little less than 4wp don't know, but gives you a place to look.
Are you planning on keeping the 3" body lift and adding a 6" suspention lift?
if so, why so high, all you will get out of that configuration is top heavy tippyness more likely to roll over on the trail.
if you are just wanting to give a little more room for the 33's you have, then just go 3" sus lift, and save yourself a lot of trouble. or if money is not a prob, then go with a solid axle swap.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
532 Posts
just about all of us installed our own lifts and its alot easier than it sounds but none of us have done a 6" drop bracket lift.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
purity said:
just about all of us installed our own lifts and its alot easier than it sounds but none of us have done a 6" drop bracket lift.

oh Contraire mo fraire my good man. Manny put on his 5 inch drop bracket tuff country lift which is pretty much the same thing as a 6 inch.

I would save the money your going to spend on a 6 inch for gears and lockers honestly unless money is not an issue go with a SAS like mentined above.

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
DR~Daniel said:
Where would be the best place to go and get a 6 in. Suspension Lift put on my truck in the Houston area? I know that 4WP is a good place but they are kind of expensive. Where have yall got yalls lifts put on at and how much am i looking at spending on a 6 in. lift installed for my Taco?

Thanks Daniel
How much did they want to install the lift?
I could do it for ya'

·
Registered
532 Posts
mudwieser said:
Oh Contraire mo fraire my good man. Manny put on his 5 inch drop bracket tuff country lift which is pretty much the same thing as a 6 inch.
:doh: forgot about manny.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Like everyone said it depends on what you want to do. Street, mud, crawl, etc.

I stuck on the 5" Tuff Country drop bracket lift on myself (well with the help of Marco & Matt) and it's really not that bad. Most of my problems came from other sources. 4WP was supposed to press my extra set of hubs into the new spindles so i could same time. Well they didn't do it and they guy that does them when on vaction the day i picked them up so that cost me a weekend without spindles.

I stripped my R&P so i had to order another one from autozone (warrenty) well it was going to take 7 days. When i went to pick it up they had said some paper work was wrong and the order got cancelled so it was going to take another 7 days.

I missed a complete weekend of working on it due to me working the Off-road Expo a whole weekend

All in All it wasn't that bad of a install. It took awhile since all this was done at my apartments so i couldn't work late on the weekends or during the week days since i got off late.

But like i said it depends on what you want to do. Right now i think it's to high to wheel it would be great for mud but i don't do mud. I'm leaving the BL on right now because i'm thinking on selling the truck in the future. If i don't sell it i will deffenitly be taking the BL off and then think about SAS it but thats all still up in the air untill i decided if i'm going to keep it or sell it to some rich kid here in clear lake as a big street queen. I hope some of this info helps. I would also look into the 5" Tuff Country lift. It's the same as Fabtechs just 1" short but i think it's cheap..

JUST REMEMBER don't forget the other things you should look into when lifting that high.
bigger tires = more money
Bigger tires = the need for gears = money
rear leafs = look into getting new rear leafs blocks suck and are dangerous new leafs = money
brake lines = mine only can with the rear extended brake line. I would suggest a full set
Shocks. If your shocks are going bad or your able to get new ones under warrenty plan on doing this at this time. I got new shocks under warrenty from 4WPW.

If i would have won the lift i wouldn't have stuck it on i would have just concitrated on lockers & gears

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dude!

I aint puttin this one on!

I thought you was down sizin?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
DR~Daniel said:

Thanks Daniel
you do know that the only benefits of this type of lift are bigger tires and looks? You don't gain much, if any, ground clearance due to the drop bracket design. Also you would need to spend even more cash to buy a new skid plate made to fit a drop bracket lift. Then you're gonna want new tires, gears, and all the other stuff Manny mentioned. For the amount you will spend, you will be close to the cost of a SAS (assuming you have the resources to do the work yourself). You can keep a SAS truck low for streetability and still have the travel that would provide you much benefit off road. IMO (and that of others), the fabtech/trailmaster/procomp/tuff country lifts are for light wheeling and mall wheeling.

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
All you gain with the 6" lift is a lighter wallet and 35" tire room
not a good DD.

You can do so much more with the money with a Rev-Tech style 3" lift.
Run the same gearing/drivetrain, 285-75-16's on STOCK RIMS
OR.......
Spend the money on other things like:
Wife/Girlfriend or:
Even shiny stuff to make the truck pretty :)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
light wheeling and mall wheeling.
What are you talking about "light wheeling & mall wheeling" ??
Is there any other wheeling than mall ??? LOL

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
TacoManny98 said:
What are you talking about "light wheeling & mall wheeling" ??
Is there any other wheeling than mall ??? LOL
I guess I should have said light wheeling at the mall :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Glass fenders mite be a better way to go for bigger tires.

Looks cooler, too!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry guys. I screwed up. Im not putting this on my Taco that i have now. I am getting a brand new one. Probably an 06 dbl cab 4x4. I am just wanting to go with a 6 in. and thats it. No extra body lift. I have saw a couple of the new ones with 6 in. on em and they look GOOD!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts