TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a package coming in two days, getting the school-girl feeling.

Dakars/881, 5100's F/R (even after our little talk Nate). I understand this to be a fairly popular combo - especially since this is a DD for me and the prego wife still needs to be able to hop in. I hope to be about 1.75-2" up from stock (I don't even know what stock height is anymore) with little to no ill effects from the setup.

After 250k + miles on my 00' I think its well deserved! I have only heard of the Dakars being a bit "shorter" and that some end up using blocks to sandwich the axle back a bit. Thoughts?

·
20,355 Posts
didnt have any issues with axle placement on my Dakars. they will give you 3+" to start though, but sag to about two through the first year or so.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
The Dakars I got had huge lift, and I even pulled out a leaf before I installed them. It seems like when I first put them on I got like 6", and then it finally settled to around 3. However mine was a '97, so the leafs are different.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
didnt have any issues with axle placement on my Dakars. they will give you 3+" to start though, but sag to about two through the first year or so.
Was this 3+ from where you were at prior to installation or 3+ from what a stock Tacoma "should" be at prior to age/sag? Thats a lot, yikes, my wife is gonna be pissed.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Its 3+ from where they stand prior to sag. You can take leaves out if you need to. Or just weight down the bed for winter traction, and take it out after she has the kid. I know a guy that uses a 1/2" plate of steel that goes in the bottom of his bed all winter long. Seems to work well. Though, its expensive if you don't work construction and take it from them.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Hey man, it's your truck, your choice. My feelings aren't hurt that you didn't agree with my opinion of them lol. If you ever drive behind my truck, watch the axle and you'll see really quick why i absolutely hate the springs more and more every day.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nate,

Why is it you think that another set wouldn'r wrap like your Dakars do?

Quick Draw,

I think I will do just that and add some weight, see how they settle. If they come in around 2" with my shell/sleeper I will be happy.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Not many people have the issues I have with then, but mine have been absolutely used hard, rode hard, and put away wet. They're pretty well worn.

The biggest culprit seems to be the 5.29's as everyone else with the springs and less gear hasn't had many issues with them. Following Ike around, his axle wraps a touch but nothing like mine.

To each their own is kinda how I look at it, personally I'll be going to Alcans when it comes time for new springs.

·
20,355 Posts
Was this 3+ from where you were at prior to installation or 3+ from what a stock Tacoma "should" be at prior to age/sag? Thats a lot, yikes, my wife is gonna be pissed.
from where the truck sat when installed, though mine didnt seem to have the normal taco sag.

Nate, we will see if i still like them when i get 5.29's. i think that is really the entire cause of your issues with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts