TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I think I am ready to do my suspension lift. I have a few questions before I pull out the plastic and place my order.
I want to do it right the first time and have a very capable truck. I have a 02 dbl cab trd going to go with the Donahoes c/o's. Is there any downside to going with the hoes compared to SAW's or the OME's? Do I need UCA's?
For the rear suspension I was going to go with the Deaver 8 leaf and Bilstiens. I am hauling about 400 lbs of weight in the bed 75% of the time and up to 800 at times. I would like something with a pretty good ride that can handle the weight, am I head in the right direction? Thanks for helping out this NOOBIE in advance. Jason

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
i heard the ome dakar leafs are better for towing but donahoe is the right way to go

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Dakars are great for pulling from what I hear.
D/o Coilovers are great to. If you got 900+$
If you got $ get the uca's just all depends on how deep your pocket is

I'd like to get d/o coilovers
3" dakars
d/o shocks w/ resiviors
some pro comp 7089 16" rims.

But I'm waiting for the new to wear off before I start to do anything. ;)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have Dakars on my 05 and most peeps on this board say that they handle more weight than the deavers. I had airbagged the back prior to putting the dakars on and that was the only thing that handled the extra weight. If you are not a hard core wheeler, you might want to consider bags. They are great for hauling loads. The stock springs can't handle shit. That's first hand info there. I also really like my hoes, no complaints there. :2cents:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an 02 tacoma reg cab, and i'm lookin to lift it, i've seen the fabtech 6 inch, and think it would look sick on my truck, but with my short wheel base i'm not sure, let me know what u think

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
ive got an 04 with hoes and dakars. the dakars work great for me, they dont sag too much with a full load, 400 pounds wouldnt be a problem, 800+ youd definetly notice it alittle bit. you dont need UCA's unless you get and ext. travel coilover. both swayaway and donahoe offer them in standard and extended version. ive got an 8" 5125 bilstein shock on one side, and and 8.5 5125 on the other. that is what is recomended for our trucks. i here the donahoe resi's are pretty nice too.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You can call deaver and have them make some custom rear springs for you. Alcan also does this too. I am not sure if dakar does it, but from what i have heard, they are good for hauling weight. It is hard to make springs that will do both(haul weight well and ride well unloaded).

You might also think about getting some heavier valved bilsteins to handle that weight.

You just have to go with what you are doing the majority of the time and realize that the rest of the time you wont have a perfect setup

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am running SAW's up front, mainly cause the off-road shop here told me they have a lot more rebuilding/leaking issues with the other C/O's. I am really pleased with them.

In the back I just put Dakar Leafs with OME Nitro-Charged shocks a couple weeks ago and love the way they ride, I filled the back up with firewood the other weekend and the new rear suspension handled the weight really well. The flex and off road ability haven't been fully tested yet but from what I have seen they will do fine.

Seems like most of the members prefer the Bilstein's in the rear, I haven't heard of a lot of people running the OME rear shocks unless it was a package deal, but I don't think you can go wrong with the OME products.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. guys.

Badmoon, Can you explain to me the 8.5 and 8 rear shock, I would assume that the 8.5 must go on the drivers side due to the extra weight of either the driver or maybe the fuel tank being offset? Where would I go to talk to someone that carries Dakers and who are they made by? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
The Donahoe's and Deavers have a real good reputation on here. Solid products and good customer service, and also I get the feel that a lot of peeps like to jump on the bandwagon. You won't hear much negative about them here.

But I have to ask, what kind of off-roading are you going to be doing with your truck? You provide no info on that, not even location to imply it. The reason I ask is that it may not make sense to build your truck as a high speed desert runner if that is not what you will use it for. Thats what the setup you are asking about is biased towards.

The only specific points I would make about your particular choices is that the Deavers are reputed to not be biased towards weight carrying.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Dakar's are an Old Man Emu product, which is owned by ARB. Most local Off Road shops should be able to get them for you. Make sure you get a new pair and not some older non-Dakar OME springs they already had in the shop. They are side specific, with A for driver side and B for Passenger, the + sign goes forward.

Go HERE to find someone near by, or search the web, there are lots of places online to get them. I paid about 120 per side from a local shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not2xs, Yes I guess I should have mentioned where I am located and what I am going to be using the truck for here's the answers. I live in montana and I will be using the taco on alot of washboard gravel and steep old logging roads that can get alot of snow. I am wanting to run a 265/75 or a 235/85 tire in the copper stt. So yes high speeds but not in the desert and no jumping unless my little brother steals the truck.
Tacowrench thanks for the info on the dakars.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have the CS047R Dakar 5+2 leafpacks. 600# toolbox, old springpacks, struts, coils, shocks, stock wheels and tires, and about 200# of other assorted shit in the bed and jumpseats. Never sagged enough to hit the first overload leaf. Couldn't ask for better ride and handling. The real dealio will be revealed when I back up to the 5480# travel trailer next month.

·
Registered
393 Posts
if you want to do it right the first time, then get the UCAs with ext. hoes. The UCAs will lead to a much smoother, more stable ride, less roll and you get an extra inch of travel with the ext. hoes. The only downside to the hoes compared to SAWs is the price.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Where in Montana are you? If it’s the southwest part Mikes Off Road near Bozeman can get you set up well. That’s where I got my suspension.

Good luck on figuring it all out.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
last i heard alcans are the best for handling big loads.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Thanks for the info. guys.

Badmoon, Can you explain to me the 8.5 and 8 rear shock, I would assume that the 8.5 must go on the drivers side due to the extra weight of either the driver or maybe the fuel tank being offset? Where would I go to talk to someone that carries Dakers and who are they made by? Thanks again
one side gets slightly more travel for some reason, im not sure why and i dont remember which side is what. maybe somone can verify this for you

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I don't think it's more travel as such, maybe as a side effect. I believe the distance from upper mount to lower mount is slightly different on each side of the truck. Goes along with one being forward and one back.

Mtcatman - Seeing as no-one seems to remember for sure which is which, I would suggest you just undo the lower mounts on each side, pull the shocks out to full length, and measure which side has the longer one.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Ok I think I am ready to do my suspension lift. I have a few questions before I pull out the plastic and place my order.
I want to do it right the first time and have a very capable truck. I have a 02 dbl cab trd going to go with the Donahoes c/o's. Is there any downside to going with the hoes compared to SAW's or the OME's? Do I need UCA's?
For the rear suspension I was going to go with the Deaver 8 leaf and Bilstiens. I am hauling about 400 lbs of weight in the bed 75% of the time and up to 800 at times. I would like something with a pretty good ride that can handle the weight, am I head in the right direction? Thanks for helping out this NOOBIE in advance. Jason
with what you describe for wheeling and the weight you want to haul I'd nix the Deavers and go with the Dakars in the rear...especially with a Dcab.

you do not need UCAs unless you get the extended Donahoes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts