TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brain is starting to hurt from reading the pirate faq on this and everyone that i have asked, that has done it, have not been much help. so here are my questions......

with the 48" rear leaf pack off the rear of my '85 what all is needed in putting those in the front?

what about doing factory tacoma leafs in the rear?

pretty much i am looking for a parts list of what is needed to do these and just the basic info of what i need to do to make them work.

thanks!

matt young

·
Registered
710 Posts
Banana shackles for the front, or move the front hanger forward. Measure and see how far you need to move your hanger forward. I'm pretty sure Budbuilt has banana shackles specifically made for the RUF setup. Crossover steering is required. Factory Tacoma leaves in the rear depend on which year Tacoma they come off of since early vs late were different lengths. I probably could have ran my leafs without moving the rear hanger. Again, measure.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Gaah I gotta do the same thing. Can't answer your questions specifically but thinking through the RUF scenario I will probably make my own front spring hanger and drill the holes that will accommodate the bolt size used in the RUF bushing cause I DO NOT want to mess with removing those bushings.

I plan on using 5 leaves incrementally cut down and see how it sits. Will prollly put the main leaf in and flatten it out to get the front bracket location and shackle angle right. Of course this is coming from someone that has not done it :shiner:

X2 what Kyle said about the banana shackles...

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gaah I gotta do the same thing. Can't answer your questions specifically but thinking through the RUF scenario I will probably make my own front spring hanger and drill the holes that will accommodate the bolt size used in the RUF bushing cause I DO NOT want to mess with removing those bushings.

I plan on using 5 leaves incrementally cut down and see how it sits. Will prollly put the main leaf in and flatten it out to get the front bracket location and shackle angle right. Of course this is coming from someone that has not done it :shiner:

X2 what Kyle said about the banana shackles...
Tell ya what, you can practice on mine :cool: !

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Banana shackles for the front, or move the front hanger forward. Measure and see how far you need to move your hanger forward. I'm pretty sure Budbuilt has banana shackles specifically made for the RUF setup. Crossover steering is required. Factory Tacoma leaves in the rear depend on which year Tacoma they come off of since early vs late were different lengths. I probably could have ran my leafs without moving the rear hanger. Again, measure.
I thought that all 95.5-04 tacos had the same length leaf springs?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Tacoma rear spring length changed in 98.

Banana shackles suck imo....they don't seem to let the suspension flex as well and are just a band-aid for a bigger issue. Move the hanger /shackle mount and run straight dhackles.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tacoma rear spring length changed in 98.

Banana shackles suck imo....they don't seem to let the suspension flex as well and are just a band-aid for a bigger issue. Move the hanger /shackle mount and run straight dhackles.
What are the lengths for the 2?

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
What are the lengths for the 2?
I can't remember the lengths but they changed in '98. I figured it out the hard way. Stick with a Toyota steering box since everybody else has that and in a pinch could be interchangeable to get you home. Do the springs right the first time so you don't regret it down the road. I'd push the hanger forward to get a better approach angle. Rumor is Marshall may have some things for sale soon to make room for a D60 up front.

·
235 Posts
A shackle acts no different if it has a bend in it. Clearance wise it is different but as a shackle it works like a straight one.

·
Registered
710 Posts

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok tell me if my findings and logic is accurate and or coherent please....

front suspension
factory front leafs are 45" long and the rears i plan on running are 48".that means that i need to move my front hanger forward 3" to maintain my shackle angle right?

rear suspension
now with the rears the 48" has a break down of front half of 20.5" and a rear half of 27.5". where the 51" (i got a set of them with the ifs rear housing that i picked up off mike) has a break down of front half of 21.5" and a rear half of 29.5". so in my mind that means i need to move the front hanger forward 1" and the rear shackle hanger back 2" to keep the axle centered and a good shackle angle. right?

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Matt, that sounds like it will get you in the ballpark but I'd still flatten out the main spring and/or measure and see where it lands your shackle. And you'll prolly have to add/remove leaves to the front to get the ride height you want. :2cents: Again based on NO experience unless you call web wheeling experience :p

Just get in there and DO IT!!! :welder::saw:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Matt, that sounds like it will get you in the ballpark but I'd still flatten out the main spring and see where it lands your shackle. And you'll prolly have to add/remove leaves to the front to get the ride height you want. :2cents: Again based on NO experience unless you call web wheeling experience :p

Just get in there and DO IT!!! :welder::saw:
accept my fb friend request dangit :p

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ok, here's some real tech for you visual learners like myself. This is somewhat to scale.

Straight shackle will contact the body mount at full compression, so measure from point it will contact body mount or a little less. Notice front hanger placement.

With a banana shackle in place the front hanger doesn't have to be moved as far forward.

You measure 48 inches with any shackle you use regardless of length or shape of shackle.
You'll also need spacers for the shackle since the spring is narrower than the frame.
I'd suggest these and call Bud since the site doesn't specifically say that you don't have to move the front hanger anymore. Budbuilt Banana Shackles

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
These where the 56"Taco leafs with Ballistic fab front mounts and their uniball rear mount. I didn't get any lift from them. I was still running a 3" block and 3" shackle. The flexed and axle wrapped like a boss.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts