TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Dakar packs on an 01 Tacoma with Bilstein 5100's that have 80K miles on them, front has Icon coils (which are due for a rebuild).
I noticed the rear end is very bouncy on the road, way too fast rebound, and downright dangerous on the highway when I hit a dip. One section of highway the rear end began resonating and the whole truck was trying to whoop jump. Scary AF at 70mph on I580 through Oakland surrounded by cars.
The previous set of Bilstein 5100's were replaced with 150k miles and per my notes were still good, just leaking bath oil, so before I order new 5100's to replace these suspect ones that have only 80K miles I'm wondering if that's not the problem.
I can't figure what else it could be, truck was unloaded so maybe I should remove the extra leaf but can't figure that'd help. Do I need something better than the 5100 Bilsteins?
Truck drove fine before, this began with the new Dakar packs.
Cheers,
Jon

·
Registered
64 Posts
You’ve changed the spring rates with the Dakars. I don’t know off hand what would have more dampening but that would be my suggestion before disassembling the leaf packs. Especially if the current shocks have some years on them. Maybe drop to 25psi in the tires when unladen, too.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I reworked my leaves about a year ago. I replaced original with supposed beefier 4 leaf packs. Both sets had maybe 10 years each and a fair amount of miles. Both looked tired and had some sag from my topper. I drug the old ones out of the weeds and split them. Split the newer set and assembled what I could making 6 leaf packs with no overload. The 5100s I had were older but showed no sign of failure. I replaced them anyway since I inadvertently lifted the rear an inch with more 5100s, but longer ones. The ride between the old shocks and new shocks was very noticeable.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ive been running Dakars on my 02 for years. They have the additional leaf for when I had a topper and tools in the bed. Originally I had 5100's later opting for 10" travel 5150's(discontinued). Never has the rear acted as you described. The past few years I've rolled with an open bed, often empty, still nothing like you're experiencing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive been running Dakars on my 02 for years. They have the additional leaf for when I had a topper and tools in the bed. Originally I had 5100's later opting for 10" travel 5150's(discontinued). Never has the rear acted as you described. The past few years I've rolled with an open bed, often empty, still nothing like you're experiencing.
Something else must be going on, I'm doubting it's the shocks. I'm now wondering if it may be stiction in the leaf bushings...under weightless down travel the leaf packs may be slowed which may cause the feeling of extra spring as the truck "hops" to the next compression.
Many years ago I cranked down the front torsion bars on a Suburban to give it front end lift and the reduced down travel had the same effect.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,464 Posts
Sounds like the leafs are stiff. Load up the bed and see if that improves. You probably need to work them in.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought of this. Are the shocks topped out?
That would do it but they're not topped out. The leaf packs are sitting flat as Dakars are supposed to.
I'm thinking either the leaves need a good break-in or the bushings are binding, slowing downtravel.
I'm getting a load of firewood to drive around with for a while, see what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That would do it but they're not topped out. The leaf packs are sitting flat as Dakars are supposed to.
I'm thinking either the leaves need a good break-in or the bushings are binding, slowing downtravel.
I'm getting a load of firewood to drive around with for a while, see what happens.
A few bags of cement will do it, too. Any home projects needing some? 2 bags aft of each wheel well in the bed would be a decent load.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts