TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just but my truck, its the first truck that Ive owned that has lt all the way around, and coilovers too, there kings shocks and every thing, the problem Im having is I feel like its running a bit to stiff, the rear is actually of its mainly the front, what it tends to do is when the front goes over a whoop it gets shoot in the air while the rear stay nice a floaty, but the front doesnt bounce at all when it comes back down, which is great, so Im guess all i have to do to the front is soften the compression and turn down the preload, tell me if Im right, and to soften sompresion do you turn the little knob on the bottom of the resivior to the left? o and how do you know when you have youre truck suspension tuned in just right, if you get what Im saying, thanks.
Heres some pics of my front setup so you guys get what setup I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
lol... do not turn the nob at the end of the resevoir. I mean you can but it will just unscrew a cap. That's where you charge the shock with nitrogen. Anyways to soften up compression you need to revalve your front shocks. That involves taking them apart and using a thinner compression shim stack.

p.s. you should also limit that suspension.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol... do not turn the nob at the end of the resevoir. I mean you can but it will just unscrew a cap. That's where you charge the shock with nitrogen. Anyways to soften up compression you need to revalve your front shocks. That involves taking them apart and using a thinner compression shim stack.

p.s. you should also limit that suspension.
Yea I bound to put some straps on it soon

As of the spring rate, all I know is the springs say 3.18.600 on them, im not sure what it means but hopefully a spring rate is in there, can I just adjust the coils all the way out? It pretty rough, and I think the coil needs a tool to adjust it but can I just use a screw driver or something to turn them?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
ur running a 3.18.600 which is a 18" long spring that is 600 pounds with a 3" inside diameter spring. i'm running the same weight as you but my truck is heavier than yours and i have a 2.0" coilover shock as where you have 2.5" coilover shocks. just take your truck to King which is in garden grove and have them set up your coilovers for your truck. with the suspension set up correctly it will ride stiff on the street but soft and perfect for the desert. and when u take your truck down to king give me call i live down the street from them

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ur running a 3.18.600 which is a 18" long spring that is 600 pounds with a 3" inside diameter spring. i'm running the same weight as you but my truck is heavier than yours and i have a 2.0" coilover shock as where you have 2.5" coilover shocks. just take your truck to King which is in garden grove and have them set up your coilovers for your truck. with the suspension set up correctly it will ride stiff on the street but soft and perfect for the desert. and when u take your truck down to king give me call i live down the street from them
Well I dont think that will be neccsary, I check my tire pressure, it was at 45psi, lol, I cranked the down to 28psi for daily driving and lossen the coils and it rides pretty nice now, maybe a little more adjusting on the back and rear and I should be cookin, thanks for the help. Hey I was wondering, how can it ride stiff on the street but soft in the desert?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didnt want to start another thread because I think iyt would be a waste but I had another question, am I suppose to be able to get my rear triple bypass 16" king shocks to move just with my body weight or is that a sign that I need a recharge, you can get them recharged with nitrogen right, theres no other things I would have to do and if so how much would it cost.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
what suspension are you running in the rear deaver 62s or stock leafs. heck give us all the detail and specs of your current suspension

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what suspension are you running in the rear deaver 62s or stock leafs. heck give us all the detail and specs of your current suspension
Alright, Ill do my best

Front:
-Total Chaos Gen. 2 Caddy Kit, uniballs
-3.18.600 King coils
-8" 2.5" King shocks with adjustable coil and remote resivior
-T100 axel if that matters
-stock upstoke bumpstop, and polyeurethane downstroke bump stop, need straps pretty bad

Rear:
-62" Deavers I think 7 pack
-tube rear
-I think 16" 2.5" King triple bypass shocks(not to sure on the 2.5 but pretty sure)
-Havnet measured but what it looks like is 12" shackles
-the axel is mounted on top of the leafs, im not sure if this is good or not but it came like that

Thats about it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
your truck is pretty much done suspension wise just take it to king shocks to have them set it up for your truck.

with the deaver they are mounted the correct way with a axle over spring.

yeah i say just take your truck to king and have them set up your shocks

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hey I was wondering, how can it ride stiff on the street but soft in the desert?
think about it...the street is pretty flat and dirt is pretty rough. If your susp is a little stiff on the street (which is flat) think about it running on rough dirt. Since its stiff on flat ground it will be better on rough ground because of the compression etc. fck it, im a bad explainer

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
think about it...the street is pretty flat and dirt is pretty rough. If your susp is a little stiff on the street (which is flat) think about it running on rough dirt. Since its stiff on flat ground it will be better on rough ground because of the compression etc. fck it, im a bad explainer
Yea you pretty much just disproved what youre were trying to prove, i get it though lol

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
also not everybody can take their truck to king to set up their suspension and king insnt really the authority on tuning suspensions there are plenty reputable people out there that can help you out with your shock tuning issues

·
Registered
513 Posts
Um.... yea let me just tell you. Your suspension isn't tuned until you take it out to the desert a couple times and feel how the truck drives over the whoops and lands the jumps. I have triple bypasses and I can raise and lower my rearend with my weight also. Thats normal. What you should do turn all the alan screws all the way in until you cant anymore, this will cause your compression and rebound to be very stiff. Go hit a good section of whoops over and over, each time turning out the alan screws 1 turn at a time until you find a good middle ground.

since you do have a 600lb coil on a 94 4x4 it may ride a tad bit stiff on the road. But that is good like the people above me said. Either way it seems like you have a lot to learn about prerunners And by loosening the coils, do you mean putting less preload on them, so your front ride height is lower now correct? Make sure the coil sits firmly on the shock.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yea all I did was take some preload out and it runs about 10 times better,I need to find a good jump in order to make sure Im not bottoming out, but as of my rears, im not touching them I cant even feel the rear going over things its mainly my front that was having the problem, it was to stiff where I could even catch speed to make it a smooth ride because it would just end up beating the hell out of me and the truck, it was unbearable , but its tuned for the most part, and Ive taken it on some pretty narely whoops and the suspension just sokes it up, just a quick question, If Im wheeling pretty hard should I come close to bottoming out the shock, because I looked on the shock after I did my favorite course in my local desert and I still had about 3.5 in. of the shaft on the shock untouched, well dirty meaning it never got that low, I hope you know what I mean, if you could help me out with that it will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
513 Posts
IMO no, you shouldn't come close to bottoming out. I'd say you're fine.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went to a local offroad truck place(J & D fab) to get my rear shocks recharged and one of them was at 250psi:eek: , I have no idea why the guy had it like that before I owned the truck, but my other one was pretty low, but it rides a lot better now that they are at equal pressure, cant wait for the lucerne trip.:xrocker:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts