TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all!

I've got a 2003 Tacoma 2wd, 4cyl, 5-speed which I bought new. It just hit 30k and needs tires. I thought now might be a good time to upgrade the suspension.

I've been around and worked on cars all my life, but never did a suspension upgrade, so I'm looking for some advice on what sort of things I should be looking for.

Relevant data:

On-road driving only.
Mostly commuting on the highway.
I'd like it to handle better on the road.
I'd like it to handle better with a load in the bed.
Not overly concerned with looks.
Not towing.

So far the only suspension upgrades I've seen for Tacomas are lift kits.

Do I need a lift to get a performance upgrade?
Should I consider any other upgrades?
Will I need to upgrade my wheels as well as tires?

Thanks for any advice,

-Joe

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
If you're not wheelin' it... then anything you do to it will purdy much cause you to lose your smoother ride on the road...

What exactly don't you like about it's current handling ?

How much money do you want to spend ?

Keep in mind... this is an offroad forum...

Not to be an ass... But... www.customtacos.com might possibly be a better forum for a street version Taco...

To improve your ride on the street... a set of Bilstein shock would give you better control and not be too firm... That will firm up the ride a little... but not nearly as much as changing springs and other components... In the rear the cheapest way to improve yer load capacity is an Add-a-Leaf... More costly would be air bags that you could adjust...

There's no reason to upgrade your tires... for street use... Unless yer looking for bling wheels or some fancy slick tread design...

·
Registered
741 Posts
how have you been working on cars your entire life, and never worked with the suspension?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
He said suspension upgrades...

No reason to be sarcastic... this is the newbie folder...
Go find another folder to be sarcastic in... There's plenty of other opportunities ;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
No reason to be sarcastic... this is the newbie folder...
Go find another folder to be sarcastic in... There's plenty of other opportunities ;)
my bad, didn't realize it was the newbie section, sorry.

Carry on designers:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thorough reply, TD.

If you're not wheelin' it... then anything you do to it will purdy much cause you to lose your smoother ride on the road...

What exactly don't you like about it's current handling ?
I'd be OK with a bit stiffer of a ride. I don't like how loosey-goosey it feels, especially when I've got a few hundred pounds of crap in the bed.

Keep in mind... this is an offroad forum...
Not to be an ass... But... www.customtacos.com might possibly be a better forum for a street version Taco...
Not ass-like at all; I appreciate it. It was late and I'd had a pretty long day when I posted. I didn't even make the connection that I was posting a road-only question in an off-road forum.

To improve your ride on the street... a set of Bilstein shock would give you better control and not be too firm... That will firm up the ride a little... but not nearly as much as changing springs and other components... In the rear the cheapest way to improve yer load capacity is an Add-a-Leaf... More costly would be air bags that you could adjust...
Thanks, I'll look into it. I haven't penned a real budget, but I'm willing to spend what it takes to do the job right.

There's no reason to upgrade your tires... for street use... Unless yer looking for bling wheels or some fancy slick tread design...
heh, nope. Just something that's better in the rain, I think. I had the thing damn near swap ends from second gear the other day.

-Joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how have you been working on cars your entire life, and never worked with the suspension?
heh, I saw this one coming ;)

I have replaced shocks, springs, ball joints, A-frame bushings, brakes - but always with stock components.

What I don't know is how to choose parts for an upgrade.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough :)

-Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts