TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how built up does a samurai have to be to do a trail like the rubicon? would 32's be adequate? can i get away with 31's? assuming the right gears, locked in the rear.

·
Registered
458 Posts
peekay331 said:
how built up does a samurai have to be to do a trail like the rubicon? would 32's be adequate? can i get away with 31's? assuming the right gears, locked in the rear.

I've done it twice on 33's... pretty much any issues I had were driver/line related. 32's would probably work, 31's and I hope you have a lot of patience..(& whomever you go with and are subjecting them to your delays & straps). the rocks are not small and the short wheelbase helps in some, hurt's in the climbs. I'm locked F & R which I'm sure helped a lot. Full tread 32's w/rear locker would pretty much be a minimum....bringing tools & spare shafts (f&r) wouldn't be a bad idea (I broke a rear shaft and had to be pulled up a few spots on Cadillac hill (actually had spares, thought it was the diff that was busted). I also have full skids/axle protection, and 6:1 transfercase gears so I don't have to kill the clutch (also now have 5:12's in the diffs. I don't need use the clutch anymore). It's a fun trail, that will also challenge both you & your vehicle.

-Mark

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MrSammi said:
I've done it twice on 33's... pretty much any issues I had were driver/line related. 32's would probably work, 31's and I hope you have a lot of patience..(& whomever you go with and are subjecting them to your delays & straps). the rocks are not small and the short wheelbase helps in some, hurt's in the climbs. I'm locked F & R which I'm sure helped a lot. Full tread 32's w/rear locker would pretty much be a minimum....bringing tools & spare shafts (f&r) wouldn't be a bad idea (I broke a rear shaft and had to be pulled up a few spots on Cadillac hill (actually had spares, thought it was the diff that was busted). I also have full skids/axle protection, and 6:1 transfercase gears so I don't have to kill the clutch (also now have 5:12's in the diffs. I don't need use the clutch anymore). It's a fun trail, that will also challenge both you & your vehicle.

-Mark
thanks mark, that was exactly the type of info i was looking for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The first time I ran the Rubicon I was running 31's with YJ spring under. I was open front and rear with a 4.16:1 tcase. I had no problems at all.

Another guy that was running the trail in our group was running spring over with the 4.16:1 tcase. He had lockers and was running aggressive 235's and had no problems at all.

It's all about knowing the line to use. There are only a handful of places on the trail where the larger tires are really needed.

If you are going to run zuk axles, I would recommend keeping the front end open. For a while I had a ezlocker up front with my 34's and blew out 3 axles in 2 runs. Granted 2 of those blew within a minute of each other in the little sluice.

I've got a bunch of pics from the Rubicon on my site www.rokzuki.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
M.martian
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing