TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the mechanical work involved, I was wondering how difficult it would be to swap a 5 speed into a Tacoma in terms of wiring/ECU/electronics.

·
Registered
29 Posts
not that hard

Winch said:
Other than the mechanical work involved, I was wondering how difficult it would be to swap a 5 speed into a Tacoma in terms of wiring/ECU/electronics.
it's not that hard to do the swap. you will get a check engine light from the transmission code but the truck will run fine. there's no welding involved but the 4WD electronics will need modification.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
junglecode said:
it's not that hard to do the swap. you will get a check engine light from the transmission code but the truck will run fine. there's no welding involved but the 4WD electronics will need modification.
Great info on your website there. So, which model year's ECU will go best with a 5 speed in a 2004 Doublecab 4x4? Maybe the ECU out of a 2004 Extra cab 4x4 with a 5 speed? Also, what exactly is involved with modifying the 4WD electronics? Thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just throwing something out there. What about installing the 6spd from an '05. I know Toyota often uses the same bellhousing and input shafts on their trannys... Just a thought.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SP Jon M3 said:
Just throwing something out there. What about installing the 6spd from an '05. I know Toyota often uses the same bellhousing and input shafts on their trannys... Just a thought.
I also thought about it, but the 6 speed will be more $, may not bolt on, will be harder to find a used one, and may mess with the ECU a bit more. Besides, I already have a 5 speed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the 5-speed in my 2004 V6.

Problem 1: 1st gear is only for getting rolling, a fraction of a second later it's time to shift. This makes the 1-2 shift pretty abrupt. It's hard to do smoothly, unless I hardly hit the gas. When pulling away hard from a stoplight I want 1st gear to last until 30 mph, the Taco 1st gear seems to be good for 10 mph.
Maybe I just suck at driving and should practice harder!

Problem 2: Cruising in 5th on freeway, it revs 3,000 at 80 mph.
This should be around 2,500 for better fuel economy. If I need it to accelerate better on the freeway I can shift down to 4th. The V6 has plenty of pull anyway.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a side note - If your in a county/state that requires a OBD type emissions test - your ride will fail for a CEL on for any reason - even a tranny code! It's that way here in NC for sure - i'm sure other states are the same.

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
EricR said:
Just a side note - If your in a county/state that requires a OBD type emissions test - your ride will fail for a CEL on for any reason - even a tranny code! It's that way here in NC for sure - i'm sure other states are the same.
Same here in CA. CEL on = Fail smog test

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EricR said:
Thanks for the tip, but I'm in BC, Canada. Don't have that here, yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Winch said:
Great info on your website there. So, which model year's ECU will go best with a 5 speed in a 2004 Doublecab 4x4? Maybe the ECU out of a 2004 Extra cab 4x4 with a 5 speed? Also, what exactly is involved with modifying the 4WD electronics? Thanks.
The 5-speed ECU I tested (from a 2003 SRunner) did not work at all because it did not have ETC (electronic throttle control.) You may find one that does have ETC and it might work. However, the truck ran fine with the stock ECU and it was simple to disable the check engine light. Just check the code with a ODB2 reader to make sure you only get the transmission error codes.

The 4WD electronics are more of a pain to modify. SAS upgrade comes to mind here: http://www.junglecode.com/toyota/tacoma/5spd_SAS/
I started with a PreRunner so it was easier to just wire a relay and some solenoids to a single switch. That gave me the added benefit of a true low gear in 2WD and 4WD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you elaborate on what electronics need to be modified for the swap? I am seriously considering this swap, I don't mind the CEL's (as long as everything works fine), but what other than installing the tranny and clutch needs to be done (assuming I swap in a 96 t-case and tranny into a 2003 double cab)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
grandmasterE said:
Can you elaborate on what electronics need to be modified for the swap? I am seriously considering this swap, I don't mind the CEL's (as long as everything works fine), but what other than installing the tranny and clutch needs to be done (assuming I swap in a 96 t-case and tranny into a 2003 double cab)?

You will have to bypass the in Park switch to start it

I just ran a new wire to the relay from the key. Also you will have to figure out the reverse lights, I never did I sold the truck before I got to that

Ryan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
ZETNORCAL
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing