TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one done this? its to expensive to have done. i wanna try it myself. turns out my front diff was fine and didnt need a new one. so i am not goin back to the outfit that said mine was jacked. and i can return the one i bought which is sweet. anyways the vibration was the carrier bearing and i am gonna try to locate one but i dunno how to take it off? is it splined? or what? any write ups?

thanx
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,843 Posts
The Dude said:
any one done this? its to expensive to have done. i wanna try it myself. turns out my front diff was fine and didnt need a new one. so i am not goin back to the outfit that said mine was jacked. and i can return the one i bought which is sweet. anyways the vibration was the carrier bearing and i am gonna try to locate one but i dunno how to take it off? is it splined? or what? any write ups?

thanx
Dean (Tacodab) has a writeup on his site...somewhere ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,490 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
That's the Center Support Bearing.

Here is the FSM's instructions on removing the Carrier Bearing in the Front Diff:
http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/sa/fdc4wd/disa.pdf
Good find but if his Front diff is ok then that won't apply.

The actual name is the Center Support Bearing, but have you ever heard only call it that that doesn't work at a dealership or is a mechanic? The common name for it is the Carrier Bearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,490 Posts
Yeah, but I don't get how anyone could mistake a problem with the Center Support Bearing (which is in the rear) as a completely wasted front diff.

I'm assuming that what he's saying is that Shop #1 told him that his front diff was toast, and Shop #2 said that the diff is fine and he doesn't need a new one, it just needs a new carrier bearing.

I had to replace the Center Support Bearing on my propeller shaft a while back, and there was never any vibration coming from the front. That's why I don't think he's talking about the Center Support Bearing.
...I could be wrong, though. That's happened twice before. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,490 Posts
Doh! :doh:

...Okay then - what the hell kind of POS shop diagnosed a bad (REAR) center support bearing as a Toasted Front Diff?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one i am not returning to. its the same shop that wanted 600 bucks to install the front diff when toyota only wanted 300
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
800 Posts
TimF said:
Good find but if his Front diff is ok then that won't apply.

The actual name is the Center Support Bearing, but have you ever heard only call it that that doesn't work at a dealership or is a mechanic? The common name for it is the Carrier Bearing.
These are techical forums, with technical folks. A carrier bearing is simply that, a bearing which supports a differential carrier.

A driveshaft center support bearing is also simply that, a bearing which supports the center of the driveshaft.

Big difference in replacing one versus the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,849 Posts
Be sure to stake the nut when you put the bearing back on.

It's possible for the nut to back off while driving and separate on the freeway.

Not fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,490 Posts
hawaiianbro said:
Be sure to stake the nut when you put the bearing back on.

It's possible for the nut to back off while driving and separate on the freeway.

Not fun.
Oh yeah? How would you know anything about THAT?!?!?!? :D
 

·
Big tars, little bed.
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
hawaiianbro said:
Be sure to stake the nut when you put the bearing back on.

It's possible for the nut to back off while driving and separate on the freeway.

Not fun.
I can attest to that :eek:
 

·
Big tars, little bed.
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
SAR_Squid79 said:
Oh yeah? How would you know anything about THAT?!?!?!? :D
hey watch it now :flipoff4:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am confident i can do this its just the pulling the flange out of the bearing part that might get me as i dont have a puller. can it be tapped out?
 

·
Big tars, little bed.
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
You'll need a puller, or its atleast preferable to use one. Not expensive, local parts stores will have one. $8-15 IIRC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well shit, it wasnt the carrier bearing that caused the vibration. maybe a cv is fucked up. i am taking it back to the dealership tomorrow to have them rack it and watch for stuff while its in 4wd. will update tomorrow. manual hubs are sounding really good about now.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top