• TSL SX

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one day, when BR grows up he's gonna need some big tars... I really think for my kinda wheelin' and the way the truck will eventually be built (next phase anyway) that a 36+/- ish tire is all he can stand on modified Toy stuff.

So here's the Interco tars that I've admired on other folks rigs. I'm gonna go Bias cause of cost and BR is not longer used for DD duties. Not that I couldn't drive him to the trail if the tires balanced okay.

I'm goin' 17" because I wanna.. and cause I'm going bigger brakes too.

IROK, Bias, 36x13.50-17LT, 66lbs, 8ply, 4ply sidewall, 36.8 in" diameter, 17x10 wheel recom. $314.44 ea

TSL SX, Bias, 36x12.50-17LT, 75lbs, 10ply, 4ply sidewall, 36.3 in" diameter, 17x10 wheel size recom. $337.24 ea

I wish the IROK came in a 12.50 bias. I think the IROK will be a bit more flexy/pliable at lower air pressures vs. the SX

I wish the SX was lighter, but it's supposed to be a really tough tire which I like for durability reasons. It's also a bit skinnier than the IROK.. which I also like.

So wake up TTORA Ga board!!! It's dead around here!!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Running the Tsl SX's in 36/12.50/17 here and love them, can't ask for anything better offroad. They flex very well also...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I voted for TSX's. I've run a set in 33 radials, and am currently running ANOTHER set in 33 radials, and I love em.

I know Ed runs IROK's, and I think Brad used to. I have a set fo 38x12.50x15 BIAS TSL's at the house as well.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I like my sx's.....but i wouldn't buy them new if i were buying new tires. They work great on anything dirt....but on straight clean rocks i don't think they grip as well as some other tires....i would be willing to give up a little dirt traction for better rock grip

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Running the Tsl SX's in 36/12.50/17 here and love them, can't ask for anything better offroad. They flex very well also...
Nice! What air pressure is that?

I like my sx's.....but i wouldn't buy them new if i were buying new tires. They work great on anything dirt....but on straight clean rocks i don't think they grip as well as some other tires....i would be willing to give up a little dirt traction for better rock grip
So you'd go with a "sticky" tire? I'd love some stickies but sheesh... way outta my budget, not that I even have a budget :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
If i had my choice with an unlimited budget then yes.....i would have a set of sticky Treppadors....but i don't so i will keep what i have....i think part of my problem is mine are 38x1450x15 on a 8" wheel....i think a set of 1250's would work better or maybe my 1450s on a 10" wheel....i don't really know.....i just don't think they work as well as they could/should

·
Registered
356 Posts
If i had my choice with an unlimited budget then yes.....i would have a set of sticky Treppadors....but i don't so i will keep what i have....i think part of my problem is mine are 38x1450x15 on a 8" wheel....i think a set of 1250's would work better or maybe my 1450s on a 10" wheel....i don't really know.....i just don't think they work as well as they could/should
One of the buggies in my group of friends runs 38 14.50 15 TSL SXs on an 8 in wheel. We cut em and now they will hook on damn near anything.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i just run tires that like to cut themselves...so either one would be an improvment in my book.

btw ted, PM me your address i want to see what shipping would be to get your tire back for giggles. doesnt look like it would be much from what i have seen from others shipping tires.

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
Ted, I ran Marshall's 36" bias Irocs on the street for about a year with no problems on the interstate. They actually did better than I thought they would.

·
Registered
356 Posts
How did you cut them....mine have each center lug cut in half but that's it
Its called TN cut and it is cutting the back half of all your inner lugs off. I am about to cut my standard TSLs with a TN cut front and Aetna cut (paddle style) rear. Once you cut em they sure cant see any road time. Take a look at some of the rock bouncers for inspiration.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I know exactly what you mean....my fear was they would dig to much in dirt and mud for the 22re to handle...i may have to give it a try

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
What do y'all use to remove that much rubber....i used an Ideal Tire Groover to cut them as they are but that would take forever.

·
Registered
356 Posts
What do y'all use to remove that much rubber....i used an Ideal Tire Groover to cut them as they are but that would take forever.
Groover to split the lugs and wood chisel and propane torch to remove the lug. getting the best temp is difficult at first as too little heat wont cut and too much will melt the rubber to the chisel.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
15 Participants
SASbound
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing