TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers on my truck and want to put on toytecs 3 inch lift spacer. I was wondering if it will work on these or just the stock system? Thanks Zach

·
Registered
67 Posts
sickyota said:
i have sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers on my truck and want to put on toytecs 3 inch lift spacer. I was wondering if it will work on these or just the stock system? Thanks Zach
The answer is still NO. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why wont they work? can i get the spacers that bolt to the top of the coilover rather than in the spring.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If you stack them, you wont even be able to bolt the assembly into place. 5" of coil/spacer lift is just way to much for the suspension to handle. You will destroy your balljoints and CV's. If you are trying to bolt the spacer on top of the coilover without cranking it up, it may work, but you would be better off just cranking the coilover up for more ride height.

·
Registered
31 Posts
you may be able to get away with 1 inch spacer ontop of the 2 inch coilover. why not just get the 3 inch coilover from the start and be done with it. i would have. if you want a 3 inch spacer ill trade ya my 3 inch spacer for your coilver.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
sickyota said:
why wont they work? can i get the spacers that bolt to the top of the coilover rather than in the spring.
The problem with spacers that bolt ontop of the coilovers is they make the entier shock assembly too long then, which then allows the front suspension to overextend causing damage. The only way you could safely do it is to run limit straps then - but you would have lost uptravel also at that point, in theory you could bottom out the shocks before they hit the bump stops, that's why some kits come with replacement bump stops.. My personal opinion is these types of lifts are cheap, dangerous, and are designed with nothing more in mind than quick cheap money for the manufacture with no thought to performance or usability.. The ones inside the coils, or adjustable coils, do not change the overall length of the shock assembly, they only adjust the preload on the coils themselves for the lift, so you maintain the orginal geometry of the shock design and the full travel.. and with adjustable coilover you get a better shock in most cases.

So I'd just stay away from the ones that bolt ontop of an existing shock, no matter what shock or coilover you use, or how easy they are to install.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
The whole point to using the SAW's(SWAY A WAY) is that they are better than just sticking a spacer on top of the stock coilover front suspension system.
SAW's are ADJUSTABLE coilovers, they can be adjusted for 1-3" of lift.
Putting a spacer on top is just the least expensive way to achieve a limited amount of lift for the front suspension.
(take the SAW's off the truck, spray some WD 40 on the threads and crank it up for more lift with the supplied spanner wrench).
Good luck newbie
jk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
98 Taco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing