TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be having an extra $500 coming to me in January because of an insurance mix up a couple months ago. This would bring my lift money up to $900 instead of $400. A friend of mine went with the coilovers on his truck and he loves them. I think that they look great too.

I'm wondering the advantages of a coilover rather then a spacer? Also, are there any downsides to having coilovers?

Chris - VA

·
Registered
73 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
I should be having an extra $500 coming to me in January because of an insurance mix up a couple months ago. This would bring my lift money up to $900 instead of $400. A friend of mine went with the coilovers on his truck and he loves them. I think that they look great too.

I'm wondering the advantages of a coilover rather then a spacer? Also, are there any downsides to having coilovers?

Chris - VA
i believe the only downside to coilovers are their price. it ALL depends on what you want to do with your truck. if you plan on being off road a lot, go with coilovers. if mostly a street machine and you want to clear some slightly larger tires, go with the spacer. i lifted my truck with a 2.5" spacer and aal with new bilsteins all around. total cost including install was approx $980.
good luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$980 is probably a good $100 more then the complete kit that comes from Extreme Off-Road. The kit that I was looking at with the SAWs, Downey AAL, 5100's, and all bushings and things was only $813 + tax/shipping.

Thanks for the opinion. Chris - VA

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice truck man. I would love to see a larger picture of it sometime. How much lift do you have total on your truck and what size tires. I'm only running a 31 so I was thinking about turning my coilovers up only 2 inches. Plus, I'm thinking about buying a set of 15x8 wheels to help the stance of the truck.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
If you have the money go straight to the coilovers. Once you get a taste for lifting and off roading, you'll want something better, so you might as well only spend the money once, and do it right.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I think that I have come to that decision about this truck. I know I wish I knew more about the SAS when I had my other truck. I would have done that in a heart beat rather then doing a suspension and body lift on it.

I'm still having trouble deciding on AAL or Shackle though. I already have a post started but haven't gotten a lot of responses yet.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Are the SAW's still leaking? I was thinking about getting some but found many posts/threads about them leaking and ish... anyone know if they fixed that problem?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
Are the SAW's still leaking? I was thinking about getting some but found many posts/threads about them leaking and ish... anyone know if they fixed that problem?
Haven't heard about any SAW issues as of late. The last major issue I remember was a clunking problem with a batch or two last year, which they gladly fixed. I'm fairly certain they've fixed whatever other issues they were experiencing, too.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never remembered hearing about that anyways. I never kept up much with the whole coilover thing because I was stuck on buying a spacer lift. Now that I'm onto the coilover thing I need to start reading up more about them. Hopefully by the time my birthday comes around (March 5th) I'll have the money and putting them on my truck. I can't wait - I love working on my truck. I'm putting my Magnaflow and Deckplate in this coming weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No the Sway-A-Ways are not leaking, this was an issue about 4 years ago, however when parts like seals and orings wear out over time they will leak, but this is the whole beauty about REBUILDABLE COILOVERS. Sway-A-Way stands behind its product 100% against manufacture defect and craftsmanship on all of our products.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The only advantage you have with going with a spacer is a little lift to clear some bigger tires. I have ridden in many stock Tacoma's and the suspension whether it be the stock stuff or the upgraded Bilsteins in the TRD Package the ride is terrible it is too soft and the truck has way too much body roll, however with spacers the truck will still ride the same. If you do any type of offroading or just want to eliminate the body roll I would definately go with the coil-overs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
atwinda said:
If you have the money go straight to the coilovers. Once you get a taste for lifting and off roading, you'll want something better, so you might as well only spend the money once, and do it right.
very well said. I went with a Spacer lift when I started out because I wasn't really educated on them. had I done my research I would have saved and picked up coilovers first. I have coilovers now and am really happy with them. I originally had a cornfed spacer lift with AAL in the rear and rancho rs5000 shocks in the rear also. although that might be fine for some people I didn't like it all that much. so I made the swtich

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
I'm still having trouble deciding on AAL or Shackle though. I already have a post started but haven't gotten a lot of responses yet.
IMO go with shackles. I switched from AAL to a shackle and like the difference in ride quality. except I also switched to bilsteins so I could be feeling the smoothness more from the bilsteins rather than the absense of the AAL. but I think getting both shackles and bilsteins is a good choice. especially since shackles are relatively inexpensive

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have definately been doing my research, asking plenty of questions, and reading up on all kinds of reports. That's why I finally decided that I was going to go with the coilover instead of the spacer.

The only thing that I don't understand about the shackle is how it actually gives you the lift? It looks like it wouldn't help you out as much. Plus that whole thing about flattening the springs out - wouldn't that make them go S-Shaped quicker? Then I have to worry about moving the exhaust to a diffferent spot right? Where can I move it so to not interfer should I go the shackle way? I'm having my muffler put on this week and I will have them just do from the muffler back now just in case.

·
Registered
276 Posts
4BYnTacoma said:
Also think about it like this.

Say there are 5000 people who own brand #1 and 500 people who own brand #2. Now most of these people read and write on these message boards. Say 10 people with brand #1 say their coil-over leaked. Say you never heard of of any brand #2 people with a problem yet. If you do the matt this is possible. When you have way more people with a popular brand you will hear of more problems because of the numbers sold. Also on these internet boards there are only a fraction of customers who even buy these products posting about them. You also hear more of the negatives than the possitives. How often do you hear of wow my brand XYZ coilovers are so awesome and see a thread 100 posts deep? Every time I see a problem with a good product the posts on that topic has a huge number of posts. Every time I see a postive thank you or I love my product I only see a few posts.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would love to be able to order them right now, but I can't. I don't have the money. I'm getting $500 back from my insurance company to go along with my $400 I have saved up for my suspension lift right now. I appriciate showing me that though, but I just can't right now.

I guess I hope that maybe when I have the money you have the same thing going on again. Thanks again.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
Then I have to worry about moving the exhaust to a diffferent spot right? Where can I move it so to not interfer should I go the shackle way? I'm having my muffler put on this week and I will have them just do from the muffler back now just in case.
You don't have to move your muffler/exhaust. You can simply shorten (ie, cut off) your tailpipe so that the leafs don't hit it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts