TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before the angry computer geeks flame me, i used search and my question wasn't answered.

has anyone made or purchased a set of swaybar quick disconnects. i want the sway bar while driving around town, but don't want it for the dirt. if the answer is no to the first two questions. does anyone have ideas on making one

·
Registered
779 Posts
tacoma girl ... :D seach for her interesting thread (if it's still here) oh, and there's a cool pic at the end of it!

-Alex

·
Registered
583 Posts
I gotta get a set of those disconnects. I like having my sway bar disconnected, but it gets a little scary making quick lane changes at highway speeds.

Maybe we can do a group buy? :)

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
before the angry computer geeks flame me, i used search and my question wasn't answered.

has anyone made or purchased a set of swaybar quick disconnects. i want the sway bar while driving around town, but don't want it for the dirt. if the answer is no to the first two questions. does anyone have ideas on making one
I haven't seen any for the new model Taco yet. Even the '01-04 discos that finally showed up were 'iffy' and expensive.

just carry a ratchet with the needed socket(s) and go that route...takes about the same amount of time.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70534 Tacomagirl98's disconnects, email the contact info provided perhaps she will give u guys a group rate ? wether or not they will work for the 05+ I'm not sure and cannot say I've not personally looked at the sway bars on that year model.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had a thought, an easy way to do some diy discos, remove the nuts on the bolts, put .25-.5 inch rubber washer, metal washer, then squeeze them to create some pressure, then insert a cotter pin into a predrilled hole in the bolt.

again, just a thought. i'll try it and take some pictures, and give my feelings

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would be curious to see if the same problem encountered with 4runners would happen on the Tacos. On the 4runner (for lifted models) removing the sway bar, or disconnecting it would allow the suspension to droop enough to cause CV breakage if the wheel is turned and power is applied. Additionally, I believe someone did some research and discovered that with an independent suspension it actually didn't help. Something about the way the wheel that wasn't drooping wouldn't be pushing down like it would with the bar connected.

I am not really sure where I read this but I do know with the 3rd gens you didn't want to disconnect the sway bar with a lift if you did any serious offroading.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have seen a swaybar for jeeps that has a manual hub lockout on one end. Just unlock it to disconnect. That looked like a great idea because you don't have that free end flopping around to tear stuff up or get caught.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I haven't seen any of the late model Tacomas yet, but I am willing to go look at a few and figure out if my quick disco's would work or if I could fab something that would work for cheap.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I haven't seen any of the late model Tacomas yet, but I am willing to go look at a few and figure out if my quick disco's would work or if I could fab something that would work for cheap.
Have you made any progress on the disco's for the late model tacoma. Thanks

G

·
I would be curious to see if the same problem encountered with 4runners would happen on the Tacos. On the 4runner (for lifted models) removing the sway bar, or disconnecting it would allow the suspension to droop enough to cause CV breakage if the wheel is turned and power is applied. Additionally, I believe someone did some research and discovered that with an independent suspension it actually didn't help. Something about the way the wheel that wasn't drooping wouldn't be pushing down like it would with the bar connected.

I am not really sure where I read this but I do know with the 3rd gens you didn't want to disconnect the sway bar with a lift if you did any serious offroading.
That is completely without merit for this discussion. Maybe you read it on Yota Tech? The 05+ Tacoma shares nothing in common with the 3rd Gen 4Runner, but shares much in Common with the 4th Gen.

I removed my sway bar over 50,000 miles ago, have done a LOT of wheeling and have had no CV breakage. No CV breakage because I am open front differential.

Wheeling with the sway bar I had less front independant travel, without it I have more front travel, which is significantly better offroad.

·
Registered
302 Posts
That is completely without merit for this discussion. Maybe you read it on Yota Tech? The 05+ Tacoma shares nothing in common with the 3rd Gen 4Runner, but shares much in Common with the 4th Gen.

I removed my sway bar over 50,000 miles ago, have done a LOT of wheeling and have had no CV breakage. No CV breakage because I am open front differential.

Wheeling with the sway bar I had less front independant travel, without it I have more front travel, which is significantly better offroad.
You think you might have CV issues if you were locked up front? Do you think the combination of locked and no anti-sway bar would put more stress on the CVs? Doesn't seem like it would matter, but I haven't wheeled without my sway bar (yet)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is it really without merit? I mean come on, this is a discussion about sway bars and I brought up a potential issue people should be aware of. By the way....the tacoma shares everything with the 3rd gen and the 4th gen. They are practically the same suspension with only minor variations (sway bar location, tie rod end rotation, spring rate,etc). Ask my how I know...I have owned all three and disassembled and lifted all three. (I did have quick discos on the 3rd gen too!)

It is fact that when you remove your sway bar it gives you more droop. If the suspension is all the way extended and you turn the wheel you may be turning the CV beyond its funtional radius. Once you apply a little too much power *snap*.

Seems completely relevant to me....don't blast people for giving an alternate view point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts