1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know if this is the right place but here goes:

How do you take off a sway bar?

How does it affect your ride?

What are the benefits of doing it/ not doing it?

thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
i've been driving with out for a while, there is alot of sway with everything you do. even getting in your truck is significant. The ride will be alot smoother however you will sacrifice some safety. if you can drive it right you'll be ok

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
The reason not to is that it has been known to cause ball joint failure when disconnected b/c of the added flex
Sorry... but I don't see the proof of that...

My truck is 7 years old and is still on the original lower and upper BJ's... Sway bar has been disco'd for the last 3 or so years... Even the grease boots look good... And it gets wheeled... trust me...

How many years would a BJ have to last... to be considered reliable :confused:

I'd say the most popular reason that BJ's fail is those evil top load spacers... or maybe just the fact that they get pounded on too hard by noobs that think their shiat can't break cause it's a toyota :rolleyes:... so they beat the livin' shiat outta it... And then can't understand why their rig is falling apart...

If folk like to get air... or slam and bounce in 'da rocks... expect to break BJ's... and plenty more ;)...

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

My ball joints failed on my 02 but they were recalled so now they are fresh. Watch out for it, rebuilt98 is right.

·
Registered
521 Posts
S

No matter what you hear just keep the damn sway bar on there. It serves a purpose. It only gives you like half an inch more of travel disconnected anyway.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
i typically leave mine on 99.9% of the time....dc'n them at the trail head if at all. it only takes a minute with a ratchet. the purpose of the swaybar is to control body roll when making evasive manuevers, like swerving out of the way of some shit in the road. imo...leave em as is. plus, if an insurance adjuster knows what the fuck he's doin...and he see's theyre dc'd after a crash, it may effect your settlement. just a thought. learn to wheel, then modify.

·
Registered
75 Posts
depends what sway bars you are talking about first. fron or rear. im not familiar with your truck so i dont even know if you have fronts. if its stock, you do. they are connected to your lower a arm if im not mistaken. and your rear sway bars are mounted to the frame above the axle and a lil arm that runs down to the axle. you can unblot the whole rear if you want or just take those metal arms off. the affect, a huuuuge lean taking turns and what not. if you move the steering wheel, your body is going to LEAN! depending on what you plan on doing with your truck it can be good or bad. i have no sway bars but im also on a fully caged truck. so if you plan on keeping the truck on a lift that fits nothing over 35's and deending on how you drive, u should be good. dont get stupid with it though. makes your truck that much easier to roll over. be careful.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I removed both front and rear anti-sway bars in my 91 4Runner and I have no problem with body roll. I mean you can feel it every now and then at high speed turns. But other than that I dont notice it. Yes they are ment for a good reason. But it all comes down to you if you wanna keep them on or take them off. If your willing to accept the responsibilities, go for it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Leave them on and get a set of quick discos:2cents:

·
Registered
324 Posts
took mine off and i have ome 881's. sways a bit more then before but nothing you don't get used to real quick. i haven't looked back. take the end links off and drive around for a couple weeks, then you will want to take it off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have quick disconnects and am happy with them. They can be a pain to put back together after wheelin, but it is nice to have them. I definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I removed mine on my Taco about 2yrs ago and never thought about putting it back on until I was cleaning my place up and removed a moderate garbage load and had to travel down the highway to get to the dump. it was a little scary when you hit a pothole on a turn doing 55. If you do not plan on doing any sort of hauling at all take it off, BUT if you think of hauling anything of weight keep it on and get a set of discos.

·
Registered
270 Posts
For a Tacoma it depends what your running for a front lift to determine if disconnecting you swaybar is needed. If your running spacers forget it, because your swaybar limits downtravel, but when you have spacers, you eliminate almost all of your down travel anyways. If you have a good set of coilovers then you can definately benifit from disconnecting them, but, I dont know about any of you, but when I disconnect my swaybar the coil rubs on spindle near where it attaches to the upper control arm, when my suspension is at full extension. I dont think its anything serious, but i just thought I'd mention it.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
My ball joints failed on my 02 but they were recalled so now they are fresh. Watch out for it, rebuilt98 is right.
3" Toytech lift... no wonder

No matter what you hear just keep the damn sway bar on there. It serves a purpose. It only gives you like half an inch more of travel disconnected anyway.
It's more then just the actual travel... Try twisting that sway bar and see how much resistance you get (you better be fawkin' superman :rolleyes: )... There's no way to dampen or minimize that resistance... and it will add to the spring rate of the coils... Only in a bad way on uneven terrain... causing more resistance to the compression and droop of the CO...

why does everyone else take them off or disconnect them then?
Here's the deal... the sway bar limits the suspension travel by making it stiffer when articulating the suspension... Removing the sway bar does not change the window of travel that is designed into the suspension... Unless you use a top load spacer or extended CO's... Bump stops and the CO's are what is the limiting factor...

Now all that said...
I wouldn't recommend running with out the sway bar on the road... unless you have a decent CO spring rate... 650# seems to help alot when the sway bar is removed... a coil of lesser rate... may give you more sway on the road then you really would like to have or is safe... depending on your driving habits... With less then 650 # CO springs... I suggest also to do the QD's... and disconnect just for the trail... That or upgrade your CO's to a better rate...

Anyone saying that the sway bar doesn't limit articulation... is full of shit and doesn't wheel their shit enough to know... In this game... every inch that you can get out of yer suspension articulation... could mean the difference between being on yer lid or being on yer wheels...
If you don't flex yer stuff out on moderate to difficult trails... leave it on... The better articulation wouldn't mean much for you anyhow...

·
Registered
50 Posts
TacoDell, Excellent write up, makes complete sense! Just want to clarify, if i'm doing nothing but desert running I would just leave it on all of the time, correct? My theory is that when my articulation is in it's greatest efforts I will most likely be at higher speeds or harder turning. Please correct me if im wrong (anyone).

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Yes for high speed desert runs... the sway bar will help keep you flat (less body roll)... Now if you go LT... that's a whole different ball game...

Simple rule... (well for a near stock truck anyhow)

High speed stuff... keep the sway bar...

Slow speed crawlin stuff... lose it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts