TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I already have one, but it's a bit of a POS. It's a pair of square bars stacked on top of one another. Whoever built it didn't use a hinge of any sort - he just put a large bolt through the two pieces. The only nice thing I can say about it is that the frame attachment looks bomber.

So, I want to build a new one. Dream-build? Something like this. I don't need some of the fancy stuff, but the general idea looks good.

The question is, where do I begin? I haven't welded in about five years! Suggestions?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Damn, FatMouse did a sweet Job of designing and putting that together. Nrmally I would say not cool to rip of a design and do it yourself from a vendor, however, He is in the UK, and fully posted his design work up, and he knows fiull well the shipping to the states would not work. Maybe PM him first and ask permission to soft of Copy his idea.

A HOW (House of Wrenching) is what you need to built that. Doesn't seem like you need a tube bender with his design just a welder, which Troy and I have! You can pick up the steel at K&K in thorton (I have a thread stickied of places ot get steel in the fab thread I think). That would prolly be a full weekend job. And I am sure we could do it. Troy and I just ask for $ for the welding supplies (wire, gas etc)

Where to buy steel thread: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122942

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
My Bad, somewhere I read the UK, maybe a guy wanted one shipped there?

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Son of a....

That guy had the EXACT idea for a bumper that I did....DANG!

I'm building a 2nd gen bumper shortly, and was planning on doing the carrier EXACTLY like that one.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Very clean design! Wish I had all the tools it looks like they have :D...

The C-channel looks like 1/4"...shouldn't twist much at all, and I bet the piece is only about 50% heavier than an equivalently sized 1/8" box. The lights give it a finished look.

I have cutting bits (large ones) if you want to pierce the mounts and run tube through them as they show in the CAD drawings-- 1" to 2" in 1/4" sizes, plus 2.75" and 3". There's usually a plasma hiding at HOW-N for the shapes, just make a template to follow using sheetmetal or something, not hard.

Personally I always like to see direct support for the spare rather than offset on an A-frame like most people build...but there's not always a reasonable way to do it. That's the only improvement I'd like to see, and it's general to all bumpers using an offset support for the spare tire.

-Sean

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yeah about that plasma cutter. If we need it the needer has to pony up pie making money... cuz we pay pete the plasma ownder in pies.... :D :D :D And he is about due for one!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I always like to see direct support for the spare rather than offset on an A-frame like most people build...but there's not always a reasonable way to do it. That's the only improvement I'd like to see, and it's general to all bumpers using an offset support for the spare tire.

-Sean
Please elaborate...

I mean, I get the offset vs. direct, but how is this offset?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
dear gawd.. did somebody just ask Sean to elaborate?.. incoming 4 page post in 3...2....1 :rofl:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

But I WILL read it! :D

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Can i say the word BONER on here without being banned... that bumper is sweet LIKE a CAMARO LOL...:saw::welder: Hmm thinking about a similar design on my pig... :D:saw::welder::)

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

·
20,355 Posts
now we need to link this to the ohio board so they can get their panties in a bunch.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
now we need to link this to the ohio board so they can get their panties in a bunch.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Do they STILL have that rule?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts