TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just ordered a Redline's synthetic 75w90 gear oil to put in my transfer case (I'm replacing my whole drive line with various Redline products now at 30k) After ordering I realized that it has the limited slip additive in it and that they have a 75w90 w/out the additive. Will the additive be okay to use in my t-case or do I need to use the non-additive oil?? Any benefits one way or the other.

Also, maybe I should create a new post about this, but, do I need to somehow flush the non-synthetic oil from the case prior to adding the synthetic.

Thanks
-J

p.s. I have been doing searches on this site and other oil related sites, but I'm still not fully competent on the subject, so please have patience :eek:

·
Registered
796 Posts
I run the Mt-90 in both the tranny and the transfer case. If you have a 5 spd it is best to have the same oil in both. Don't know if the LS additive would be an issue in the trans case, but I know the MT-90 is good to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I forgot to note that I have an auto transmission and am planning on running the Redline D4 ATF in there. Is there any mixing between the auto trannys and the t-case?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Reorder the right 75W90 oil. Better to be safe than sorry? The additive is to keep the diff from over heating from foaming (due to the slipping of the gear) and entrain the particulate matter due to slippage.
Anyone can chirp in now to make sure I'm right? (It's been 20+ yrs since I've played with limited slip fluid)
If you don't plan on doing a full Tranny flush you will only change approx 40% of the ATF doing a drain of the tranny only. You need to either pull the tranny, torque converter and drain the ATF cooler to change out approx 95+% or full system flush. Not easy or cheap. I have herd of others doing drains, refills X4's w/ in 5K (500, 1K, 2K, 5K) and they say everything OK?
Also if your changing the tranny fluid you might as well change out your filter?
There is no mixing between the tranny and transfer case. Sealed apart. Two different types of oils.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts