TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Coming up on 80K on my '02 DC and thinking about making the switch to synthetic motor oil. I've been running Castrol GTX 10W-30 and been happy with it, but also plan on keeping the truck for quite some time.

Thanks for any input,

Beave

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been running Castrol Syntec in all my vehicles since 1994. It has gone in vehicles from 3000 miles up to 70,000 miles with no problems at all. The high mileage was in a '90 Nissan Hardbody and if you took the valve cover off, the valve train looked brand new right before I sold it. When I got it, there was some varnish on both the cover, and the valvetrain. There were no additives used, so I have to assume that the Syntec and regular changes actually cleaned the motor.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I run mobil 1 5w30 and have had excellent results with it. Wish i'd made the switch sooner.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I run Royal Purple. I love it although I cannot tell any difference between it and Mobile 1 (which I used to run as well) :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any of the synthetics mentioned will serve you well. Choices are made on who's propaganda you want to believe.

·
Registered
503 Posts
taco23 said:
Amsoil seems to be the choice around these parts along with Mobil 1. Amsoil can't be purchased in any store. I'm sure a dealer like Gadget will chime in on this topic. FWIW, I personally run Mobil 1, it's readily available at auto parts stores.
You can buy Amsoil in GI Joes if you have one near you.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
tomstin said:
Any of the synthetics mentioned will serve you well. Choices are made on who's propaganda you want to believe.
I think we have a winner with this one. I have never heard of anyone having an oil related issue with any of the synthetics out there. I have read countless tests about each of the oils to find out which one is better. What I have come up with is that each has its strong points and weak points, but the weak points are still miles ahead of the dino oils.

Mobil 1 is probably the easiest to find and seems like one of the most popular ones. The reason I don't use it is that a couple of the tests I read actually put Castrol ahead of Mobil in most catagories. They also like Valvoline Sythetic which hardly anyone uses. I did for a short amount of time, and had no issues with it.

Of course all the studies I am referring to are over two years old, and I have no idea where they could be found. So, go with what you are comfortable with, there really is no wrong decision here.

·
Registered
503 Posts
TacoPoPo said:
I think we have a winner with this one. I have never heard of anyone having an oil related issue with any of the synthetics out there. I have read countless tests about each of the oils to find out which one is better. What I have come up with is that each has its strong points and weak points, but the weak points are still miles ahead of the dino oils.

Mobil 1 is probably the easiest to find and seems like one of the most popular ones. The reason I don't use it is that a couple of the tests I read actually put Castrol ahead of Mobil in most catagories. They also like Valvoline Sythetic which hardly anyone uses. I did for a short amount of time, and had no issues with it.

Of course all the studies I am referring to are over two years old, and I have no idea where they could be found. So, go with what you are comfortable with, there really is no wrong decision here.
I not completly disagreeing with you. But i think that Mobile One, and Amsoil are the only two completly syntheic oil's availible. I remeber reading somthing in consumer reports or somthing that every other major brand has some amount of dino oil mixed in to keep costs down. Anyone else every heard that? My marine mechainc for my boat told me the same thing.

I am required to use synthetic oil in my marine engine to keep the warranty and mobile one is the only manufactuer that has the correct rating and the correct weight (other than the stuff you buy directly from Volvo Penta at 12 bucks a quart).

I use Mobile 1 in my boat and my truck. I change my boat yearly and my truck every 3000 miles. I know its overkill, but it makes me feel good, and I dont mind spending an extra 40 bucks a year to make me feel good.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
307 Posts
I used Mobil 1 synthetic in my mustang for 80000 miles, had 180000 on it when i sold it, never smoked or leaked, and thats all i run in my new Tacoma is mobil 1 syntetic! and Mobil 1 filter!

·
Registered
40 Posts
CMB1998 said:
I not completly disagreeing with you. But i think that Mobile One, and Amsoil are the only two completly syntheic oil's availible. I remeber reading somthing in consumer reports or somthing that every other major brand has some amount of dino oil mixed in to keep costs down. Anyone else every heard that? My marine mechainc for my boat told me the same thing.

I am required to use synthetic oil in my marine engine to keep the warranty and mobile one is the only manufactuer that has the correct rating and the correct weight (other than the stuff you buy directly from Volvo Penta at 12 bucks a quart).

I use Mobile 1 in my boat and my truck. I change my boat yearly and my truck every 3000 miles. I know its overkill, but it makes me feel good, and I dont mind spending an extra 40 bucks a year to make me feel good.

Later,

Chris
You are correct in your research. I have read the exact same thing. That is what got me going on my Mobil 1 research. The difference in dino and synthetic oil base stocks is that the molecules are designed to be of uniform size....right? The majority of synthetics start out as regular old petroleum. However, they (Castrol for example) purify and process the base stock to the point that all the molecules are of uniform size. Mobil/Amsoil/Redline start at the molecular level and build up, the others take the base stock and purify it down. The end result is very similar, so each starts with a comparible (up for debate I know, but that is my opinion and I'm sticking to it :D ) base line. At that point the additives are brought in, and each one has their own special sauce.

I do remember the performance tests of same viscosity/weight oils. Amsoil was not part of this test, unfortunately. All the synthetics flowed the same at low temps, and it seemed that Valvoline had a slight edge at high temp, but the margin was very small.

I really wish I could find these tests, they were found originally by following a very long lists of links in various posts on various auto forums.

I do know one thing for a fact though, oil is being processed at a higher quality today than in the past. Your basic dino oil (API approved) is what the auto manufacturers base their oil change schedules on. In the past that has been (for severe conditions) 3-3.5K miles. It is very common for them to go with a 5K oil change interval now, 10K for "normal" driving. This is based on the protection from dino oil.

Is synthetic really needed in vehicles....no. Why do we put it in? because we love our vehicles and only want the best for them. Is it a waste of money....not really, because you get some added thermal protection, and cold flow characteristics. But manufacturers still recommend following their maintenance schedule with synthetics or dino.

Shoot, I'm probably one of the few that uses Redline in the diffs, Xfer case, and tranny...and still changes it all out every 12K miles.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
mudferret said:

This topic never settles itself.

:xcrybaby:

All I do is refer them to the appropriate place for such dribble. Whatever makes people feel tight and warm in there skivies usually will get the job done. ;)

Oh, Here's where to refer these discussions so we don't waste space here going round in circles
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right on guys.... Thanks for all the helpful info and links.

Beave

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
"HERE IS A TEST"

Bullshit. That Page and that test Are obsolete with the issue SM GF-4 standards.
Amsoil is a top tier synthetic but it is no better than many of the off the shelf synthetics in performance. (I think M-1 and Castrol syntec 0w30 have it equalled or bettered in many areas)

You can get many of the same specs from a heavy duty motor oil such as Shell Rotella T 10w30 if High TBN and a Cst of 11.9 @ 100c is interesting.

But this is silly anyway. These are all bench test, which are interesting for comparative data but do not accurately predict wear numbers, how fast The TBN will fall out or if an oil will thicken severely out of grade (ATM For example) with high miles.

As I said not bashing Amsoil, it's a top tier PAO motor oil, just not the end all of motor oils, I have learned alot from their adds and for that I am gratefull but they do have a wise marketing scheme.
As individuals just by taking interest in such things as this we are providing better maintenance.
With Modernization s of oils however I don't think that using petroleum, PAIO or Esther based lubricants is going to pile up to a hill of beans difference in cost of ownership.. unless you are insane and change a high priced PAO at 3000 mile intervals as a poster said above(M-1 at 3k OCI's!!!).. that adds up :eek:

If you are on this board and you get into this hobby I can almost guarantee that nine times out of ten your engine is going to outlive the rest of the trucks usefull service life on public roads. That is unless you have a supercharger with no fuel modifications :lmao:

The internet is a great source of information, but it is also a cesspool of false information, rumors, myth, gossip and shady marketing schemes as well. Don't be an easy mark.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Amsoil 0-30W and Mobil 1 0-30W are the best and I've used both. Use whatever is more convient for you. I change my oil every 18,000 miles / 1 year whether it needs it or not cuz it makes me feel good. :p
-Chris

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
PismoBoy24 said:
Amsoil 0-30W and Mobil 1 0-30W are the best and I've used both. Use whatever is more convient for you. I change my oil every 18,000 miles / 1 year whether it needs it or not cuz it makes me feel good. :p
-Chris
I thought your rig was for sell?

Mine is. I am actually looking to get a J**p when it's sold :D Cherokee that is :eek: They are cheap and numerous.

Did you do many UOA's when you were running the sand alot? I am telling you our frames will runst out well before these motors have oil related falures, just because we paid a little attention.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
...I can almost guarantee that nine times out of ten your engine is going to outlive the rest of the trucks usefull service life on public roads. That is unless you have a supercharger with no fuel modifications...
HAHA. That's always been my experience, and I've had plenty of old cars. But it's fun to see how worked-up some people can get over this topic.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
not2XS said:
HAHA. That's always been my experience, and I've had plenty of old cars. But it's fun to see how worked-up some people can get over this topic.
It is truley a fascinating topic, and I admit to wasting a bunch of time learning about it because it interest me, but in the big schem of things it is of minor consequence.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts