TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 DC TRD Pre-Runner has 65k miles on it. Anyone know if switching to Mobil 1 synthetic would be bad? I've heard that it shouldn't be done with high mileage vehicles, not sure if I consider 65k on a Yota "high" mileage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
yotasales said:
My '05 DC TRD Pre-Runner has 65k miles on it. Anyone know if switching to Mobil 1 synthetic would be bad? I've heard that it shouldn't be done with high mileage vehicles, not sure if I consider 65k on a Yota "high" mileage.

I've always been told to do it after break-in (500 miles according to manual). I don't think there is a mileage too high that you couldn't put it in.

I was just about to post a topic similar to this. I just changed my oil and put Mobil 1 Synthetic in. My truck only has 1100 miles. Did I switch to Synthetic oil too early?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, maybe it's just an urban legend but I've heard switching to syn. after a lifetime of reg. can cause oil leaks.

I think I'll do it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
yotasales said:
Well, maybe it's just an urban legend but I've heard switching to syn. after a lifetime of reg. can cause oil leaks.

I think I'll do it.
I think it is true that switching to syn oil could REVEAL faulty oil seals (varnish and/or sludge keeping them from leaking) but syn oil will not CAUSE oil leaks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i switched to syn at 120k in my '98 toyota v6. i havent noticed any oil leaks. truck runs like a top.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Synthetic oil is a smaller molecule and will find it's way past old, set seals. At 65k you are more than fine to switch. I noticed with mobile 1 both of my yota's had a funny engine noise. Kind of a faint whine. Both a 3.0 and a 3.4 made the same noise. Switched to castrol syntec (BMW high performace synthetic) and the noise went away. Not saying it hurt the engines, it was just a very identifiable noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts