TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do those of you run running synthetic oil go between oil changes? Most brands claim you can run 15 - 25,000 miles or one year between changes.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Really depends on if you beat the piss out of the truck or not. I change mine around 7k, and I use the Mobil extended stuff. If you wheel 3 times a year, change it less. I would never follow their statements on the 15k if you wheel your truck.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Since my wheeler is not the DD, I havent changed it since last April. Granted Ive only put maybe 2k miles on it. Its Mobil 1 and I have the oversized filter as well. I checked the oil the other day and it was still in pretty good shape. Ill probably change it in the next couple months.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use the mobil synthetic... not the extended, but I go about 6.5-8k miles depending on what has happened in that time... If you're just switching over from the dino oil, I'd only go about 2-3k like you would with the older stuff.. you'll have surprisingly dirty oil...

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
10K on the oil and 5K on the filters. Amsoil.

·
Registered
793 Posts
RaideRNatioN said:
I checked the oil the other day and it was still in pretty good shape.

How do you know, did you get an oil analysis? :confused:

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
RaideRNatioN said:
Since my wheeler is not the DD, I havent changed it since last April. Granted Ive only put maybe 2k miles on it. Its Mobil 1 and I have the oversized filter as well. I checked the oil the other day and it was still in pretty good shape. Ill probably change it in the next couple months.
Color has nothing to do how well an oil performs.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Tufemup said:
How long do those of you run running synthetic oil go between oil changes? Most brands claim you can run 15 - 25,000 miles or one year between changes.
Its all about oil analysis then go from there. 15K-25K is a pretty long interval but its do able i would never go that long. I go every six months between changes, no oil analysis yet.

·
Registered
892 Posts
When I had the Tacoma - I did it about once every 4,000miles. That was primarily because I lost about 1qt of oil every 4K (leaking oil pan) and it was really dirty.

With my Ram - I change it after about 3,000miles. The oil is extremely dark (dirty) when I change it. The oil is still good - it's just soooo dark/dirty.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Mobil extended 7,500mi. There is a formula floating around that uses your highway miles and all that. It said I could go like 10K, but why skimp? Oil is your engine's blood.

·
Registered
186 Posts
15,000mi on oil, 7,500mi on filters. AmsOil 5W-30 w/ a WIX Syenthetic filter. There was a magazine that did an article a little while ago about how changing your oil too soon is not as good an idea as it may seem, I'll see if I can dig it up.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an EAO34 filter. I know its oversized but couldn't remember if it's a synthetic filter or not. Maybe Gadget will chime in here and fill us in on AMSOIL synthetics.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yes the EA filters are synthetic and I think they advertise them as good for a year/25K miles. I have done NUMEROUS oil analysis on my truck with Amsoil, Mobil one SS, and Mobil one EP. They are all good oils and will easily go 10K plus miles. I did one run with Mobil EP for 10K over 9 months and it had plenty of life left and shown very little wear particles. For the cost of the Oil analysis I figure I may as well just change it twice a year with the mobil one SS or EP and skip the analysis. That way I get fresh oil every 7500 miles. I do know however I could let it go for 15-20K miles and it would be fine (dont plan to, but piece of mind)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
They have these Japanese engineers working at Toyota. They are some bad mofos. They are the ones that designed my all aluminum, double overhead cam having, timing shifting, 24 valve having, no throttle cable running, 240 horsepower making marvel of a motor.

I can't help but believe that they know what the fuck they are doing.

Those guys (The ones that designed my motor) say to change my oil every five thousand miles.

I would have to be pretty ate up with myself to think that I know more about what my motor needs than those guys, wouldn't I?

I change my oil and filter every 5k. Period.

I'm running Mobil one and using Toyota filters.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fast frank said:
Those guys (The ones that designed my motor) say to change my oil every five thousand miles.
But that's assuming conventional oil right? Synthetics last much longer and your genious Japanees engineers didn't specifiy dino or synthetic in the manual.

·
Registered
892 Posts
fast frank said:
I change my oil and filter every 5k. Period.

I'm running Mobil one and using Toyota filters.
Totally agree.... I change mine at 3,000(on my Dodge Ram with Mopar filters).

The synthetics (Mobile 1) will last a long time and usually don't break down like conventional oils can. BUT they get dark as crap which means the oil is DIRTY. Synthetics are known to keep the engine cleaner and remove/prevent sludge buildup. Keeping the oil in there for extended periods of time, you're just recirculating that dirty oil and it'll keep getting dirtier and dirtier.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
Tufemup said:
I have an EAO34 filter. I know its oversized but couldn't remember if it's a synthetic filter or not. Maybe Gadget will chime in here and fill us in on AMSOIL synthetics.
Yea its a synthetic media filter.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I change mine between every 4k to 5k depending on how lazy I am.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I use amsoil and change based on their reccommendations. Which usually means every year since I dont hit the miles. I do change the filter every 5K, even the new $$$$$$$ EaO's, which KICK ASS. For sure on my 07 I will be adding a bypass, and probally on my 03 as well, just added cleanlyness..... After reading the comparrison between amsoil and other synthetics, not all synthetics are created equal... amsoil by far is the best but you do pay for it. My dealer cost on my oil is $7.65 ($9.95MSRP) a quart..

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Janster said:
Totally agree.... I change mine at 3,000(on my Dodge Ram with Mopar filters).

The synthetics (Mobile 1) will last a long time and usually don't break down like conventional oils can. BUT they get dark as crap which means the oil is DIRTY. Synthetics are known to keep the engine cleaner and remove/prevent sludge buildup. Keeping the oil in there for extended periods of time, you're just recirculating that dirty oil and it'll keep getting dirtier and dirtier.
Wouldn't that be a filter issue then?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts