TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple of months ago I put Redline MT-90 in my transmission as it was great in my last car, and everyone here loves it. It shifted like crap. First to second was really notchy and rough. Yesterday I went to the dealership and picked up 3 quarts of their OEM oil. It isnt a synthetic like the Redline was.

This brings me to my question. Am I ok to switch directly from a synthetic to the dino oil the factory uses? I drained as much of the Redline oil as I could before I filled it up with the OEM oil. Do I have to do any kind of flush before I drive it with the new oil in it? Its only $14 for the 3 quarts of oil from the dealership so I will probably chain the oil in the next little bit to be safe, but is there anything drastic I have to do before I drive it to work?

Thanks,
Jesse

Yes I searched.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
nope, its all good, just pour it in

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
If you mix dino and synthetic you'll get kryptonite deposit build up in the tranny. Trust me you dont wanna deal with that. :eek:

:flipoff4:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
All the synthetics will mix with dead dinosaur oil just fine.

Don't worry, be happy!

I wouldn't worry about the extra oil change unless you just want to do it.

Your tranny will be fine.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
jimbo74 said:
nope, its all good, just pour it in
I totally disagree. I put amzoil gear oil in my trans and it was
too slippery, was causing the syncro`s to act wierd-very hard to get in any gear. Didn`t do it right away, prob ~200 miles after... So, I got it hot, drained it throughly. And put reg back in, with a bottle of some crazy old
"mystery trans fluid"-been sitting on my buddy`s shelf for years.

TOTALLY made a difference, went right back to the way it was.
Actually better, shifts easier into 2nd when cold now :D .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cold w/SYn

Yeah,
I agree but, thought I'd try syn for the cold thinking that the "slippriness" factor would be a good thing since the oil viscosity at -30 to -50 F is not so good during the winter here (Interior Alaska).. End result it still sucked. But, why? Is it a prob. with the syncros? Kinda a baffler because the syn in the diffs and transfer case kicks ass in the cold.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
CrazyAKmtman said:
Yeah,
I agree but, thought I'd try syn for the cold thinking that the "slippriness" factor would be a good thing since the oil viscosity at -30 to -50 F is not so good during the winter here (Interior Alaska).. End result it still sucked. But, why? Is it a prob. with the syncros? Kinda a baffler because the syn in the diffs and transfer case kicks ass in the cold.
I found if I leave my truck in 2nd gear over night and then dont let the Revs go down when shifting from 1st to 2nd its not too bad and once its warmed up its no problem at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
CrazyAKmtman
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing