TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know that I've been prepping for a heart transplant in the Syota......
Back in July I picked up the new mill with computer, harness and many other odds and ends;

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I stripped it down a bit and had to do a few changes to get it ready;

PIcked up some corvette exhaust manifolds for the swap;

I also had to swap the oil pan, the throttle body and a few sensors for my gauges.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now for the stressful part of the swap...... taking the old set up apart.... I was very happy with the 4.3 but evidently I just couldnt leave it alone.......

Out with the old;

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And after removing the old motor mounts from the frame rails and fabing up new ones, cleaning up wiring and a few other minor things, In with the new;

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now for plumbing and wiring........ the time consuming parts......... See ya on the trail in March ....... I hope.

This should be interesting.....

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking good. Do you know how much weight you're picking up?
Jay
I dont know for sure.... the old mill half iron block and heads, half aluminum, half plastic intake, new mill has iron block, aluminum heads full plastic intake but more cylinders.... ride height is a little taller so far but no exhaust manifolds yet, which do weigh more than the headers I was running...... Radiator is going out back for multiple reasons..... Adding a oil cooler to the front.......

·
Registered
101 Posts
I dont know for sure.... the old mill half iron block and heads, half aluminum, half plastic intake, new mill has iron block, aluminum heads full plastic intake but more cylinders.... ride height is a little taller so far but no exhaust manifolds yet, which do weigh more than the headers I was running...... Radiator is going out back for multiple reasons..... Adding a oil cooler to the front.......
Cool.....literally :)

I was eyeing that cowl area and waiting for the cut pictures. Guess you changed plan and rather than reconstruct the front, swapped the radiator to the rear. That'll push a little more weight in the bed and add some cooling volume.

That thing's gonna be a blast :cool:

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The few minutes I had today were to finish bolting up the bell housing, torque converter and install the starter..... test fit the mainfolds and they look like they might work......
got some pics of how tight things are;

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool.....literally :)

I was eyeing that cowl area and waiting for the cut pictures. Guess you changed plan and rather than reconstruct the front, swapped the radiator to the rear. That'll push a little more weight in the bed and add some cooling volume.
That thing's gonna be a blast :cool:
Yep, exactly my thinking about the move........ Allows the use of an oil cooler as well as plenty of room for the trans cooler..... ike the idea of more ballast in the back of the truck...... this is gonna get interesting. ;)

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking good. Do you know how much weight you're picking up?
Jay
Just read on Pirate, no confirmation as to accuracy, that the 4.3 weighs about 425' and and LS1 weighs about the same, since the LS1 is all aluminum block and heads, I'm a little skeptical but if thats accurate then my motor is in the 525' range since I learned in other research that the iron block weighs 100' more than the aluminum one..... So based on that I'm up 100' in the nose but lose the weight of the radiator, e-fan and coolant from the nose and move them to the rear (I'm certain the new radiator weighs a bit more than the old). The irony is that right now the truck sets about ½" taller in fron than it did with the 4.3 and radiator full of coolant...... I dont have the new exhaust headers installed yet so that will probably even it out.....

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking good sir! What's that power output on the new power plant ?
specs are 335 for the LQ9 which I have..... mines used so its prolly down but my computer, intake and exhaust will all up the power close to stock....On paper I'll be up 100 horsepower and 140' ft of torque..... it might get around OK.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've accomplished nothing over the last 3 days other than ge some build supplies and parts.... I plan on wrenching on it all weekend and should have some updates Sunday night.......

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
About this Discussion
141 Replies
27 Participants
JJackson
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing