TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a T-100 2wd DOB is 11/92 in the u-pull-it yard and was wondering if the rear 3rd will fit my non-trd 99 tacoma?

The T-100 3rd also had a couple of wires coming out of it on the top side. Anybody know what these are for? Didn't think they had the e-locker option.

If it will work does anybody know what the codes would be on the door for gear size?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Looking at it from the rear, which side is the drain plug on??

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TacoCrazy said:
Looking at it from the rear, which side is the drain plug on??
Passengers side.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
It's not an E-locker axle then...Should be the same rear you need, not aware of a different rear for the 2wd T-100..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Interesting..2wd must have a different axle then because our axles are 8 or 8.4"..and a 7.5 in the front..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Grant said:
I found a site for gear codes. http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=274535

The T100 had code A03A which is 7.5 4.10.
I don't know if I'd be happy with 4.10s or not and I would still have to change the front. Have 3.58s now.

Might go ahead and get. They said it would be around $25.

For $25 bucks its work it-

FOr $25 bucks, gear oil, and some FIPG - you can test 4.10 gears to see how you like them- It will be a vast improvement over 3.58's - with minimal investment,

Also - its very easy to find a 4.10 matching front-
4.10's are ubiquitous.

Also- FOr $25 it will be worth it simply as a carrier in case you want to regear.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Grant said:
I found a site for gear codes. http://toyota.off-road.com/toyota/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=274535

The T100 had code A03A which is 7.5 4.10.
I don't know if I'd be happy with 4.10s or not and I would still have to change the front. Have 3.58s now.

Might go ahead and get. They said it would be around $25.
The mini trucks and 2wd t100 have 7.5 rears, and you will be happy with the 4.10 i just went from 3.58 on 32's to the 4.10 and its like daylight to dark

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
grillmasterp said:
For $25 bucks its work it-

FOr $25 bucks, gear oil, and some FIPG - you can test 4.10 gears to see how you like them- It will be a vast improvement over 3.58's - with minimal investment,

Also - its very easy to find a 4.10 matching front-
4.10's are ubiquitous.

Also- FOr $25 it will be worth it simply as a carrier in case you want to regear.
He cant use the t100 rear as it is a 7.5" to where his non trd taco has an 8.4 rear

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I snatched up a complete rear axle with springs and a front diff with axle tubes and cvs for 175 plus tax and they are 4.10 gears

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
green96taco said:
He cant use the t100 rear as it is a 7.5" to where his non trd taco has an 8.4 rear
From what I've found out over the last couple of days it doesn't matter if they're called 7.5, 8.0, or 8.4 in reality they are 8".

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All 2wd and 4wd T100's, Tundra's, and Sequoia's use a newer/stronger 8" 2-pinion diff. Tacoma 4x4's and Tacoma PreRunner's that don't come with the electric locker, as well as V6 Tacoma 4x2's also came with this diff. One easy way to identify it is by the larger mounting hardware (10mm studs w/ 14mm nuts) vs. the smaller stuff on the older diffs (8mm w/ 12mm nuts). It also has a different shaped diff cover. and a slightly larger diameter bolt pattern and flange (about 1/4" larger) than the 8" 4cyl or V6 diffs. It has a large one-piece carrier bearing cap (or "truss") that bridges over the ring gear to add strength. The axles that fit into these diffs are the same size as the earlier 8" diffs (30 spline).
In the past this diff has also been mistakenly called an 8.4" or 8.25" diff. The ring gear actually measures 8", but it is not compatible with the older 8" diffs at all. The extra strength of this diff comes from the bearing cap/truss and large diameter pinion gear shaft.
Aftermarket parts have so far been fairly limited for this diff. At this time, the only LSD available is the TRD/Kazuma clutch-type 3-pinion LSD, the OEM 4-pinion Tundra TRD LSD, and the only lockers available are the Powertrax "Lock-right," "No-Slip," and the ARB Air Locker (RD-89). Update- Tractech also now makes a Detroit Softlocker and Truetrac for this diff.
This diff cannot be fitted to an older style 8" axle because it uses a larger diameter mounting bolt pattern and because more space inside the housing necessary to accommodate the large bearing cap. The different bolt pattern also makes it very impractical to swap in an electric locking Toyota diff (the whole mounting flange would have to be re-done using a special jig).
Twelve 12mm ring gear bolts, 30 spline pinion shaft.
* 4Runners do NOT use this diff at all. Late-model 4Runners still use the V6 8" diff above.

I copied this from the link above.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
green96taco said:

you are misinformed about the t100 rear.

the front diffs of the t100 & tacoma are not interchangeable.....but the rears are swapable.

the 8.4 actually debut in the t100, not the tacoma

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
2wd t100s are different, i already checked

·
Registered
984 Posts
Grant said:
From what I've found out over the last couple of days it doesn't matter if they're called 7.5, 8.0, or 8.4 in reality they are 8".

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right about the fact they're all approximately 8" in size as far as the internals are concerned. The dimensional differences are mainly in the housings.

You're incorrect about them being interchangeable. These three differentials have different numbers / sizes of ring gear bolts and different spline counts.

I have *never* heard of a '7.5' unit being used in the rear of any T100 (2WD or 4WD). The T100 4X4's *did* use a '7.5' unit in the front, but they used the later / stronger 8" (aka '8 1/4', '8.25', '8.4') in the rear.

I'm searching for any indication of a '7.5' being used in a T100 rear. So far I've found consistent listings / claims it's the 8.4 in all T100's. I'll keep searching ...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here are some pics of the T-100 3rd. the #'s on the ring gear are 92 10 29 4.2.It's 31 spline. The sensor on top looks like a abs sensor, so i could just leave it or make a cover plate for it.

You think it will work on the Taco?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Installed the t100 3rd. Works perfect I just cut the wires going to the sensor on top. It's a big differance going from 3.58's to 4.10's with 32" tires. Was able to hit 80 mph no problem. I didn't even know the truck would do 80.

Now just need to get a front with 4.10's. I've sent a couple of pm's but haven't made a for sure deal yet.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
green96taco said:
2wd t100s are different, i already checked
I guess they are not that different after all

1 - 20 of 20 Posts