TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better, Sky or All-Pro? The Sky one looks like it comes with a skidplate of some sort, but s there any real substantive difference between the two? This is for an 1989 SAS PU.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I went with the AP unit, if you don't plan on making a belly pan. Get the Sky unit.... the AP one bent pretty easy. Though I wouldn't rely on the t-case to take the forces if you bang the e-brake up.

You do have a 4cyl t-case right? They don't work on the V6 chain driven cases.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check out the ballistic fab one, I didnt see anything for an older gen truck. Mine is a 4cyl (forgot to add that) so it should work with the t-case. I am on a tight budget (as we all are) so a bellypan isnt in the real near future. I have way to many other things to work on. The e-brake cable is snapped and the arms on the drums are seized. I figured instead of messing around with this stuff, I would just get he t-case e-brake. I dont really expect the t-case to handle being bashed onto rocks, I just thought that the skid would be a little added protection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yeah i am in a similiar spot with my truck...
i used a front range crossmember and now i cant add a t-case brake.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well now some of the previous posts have got me thinking, I wonder which is more effective, a t-cas brake or just fixing my parking brake? I was reading on yotatech and someone commented that the truck can roll if the rear isnt locked? Mine will be, but would it then place undue stress on the r&p?

Basically, my cable isnt broken like I orig though, just very stretched and not hooked up at the drums. The levers on the drums dont want to move and the boots are filled with crap. I just figured do the t-case brake as it would be a good upgrade, but if it would allow for movement, i am confused.

Oh, and it isnt that I am a dumbass and didnt know it wans't hooked up --- I just bought this truck so i am in the process of discovering all of these little "issues" i didnt realize when I bought it. Oh the fun!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
We put an AP on my son's '92 and it holds fine, open diff and all. I suppose if you lifted one rear, with the brake set, it'd take off (hummm, I'll have to try that, safely of course).

And yes, you can rock the truck a little due to r&p backlack slop when you set the brake. Ain't gonna hurt the r&p though. Just think about where it's holding the truck when the brake is set.... if that makes sense.

If your on a budget, fix what you got, sounds like you may need to do a little brake maintenance anyway??

Good luck with it!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts