TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips for getting them off? We've tried heat, we've trid brute force with a 3/8ths breaker bar that broke, and we've tried cutting the nut but stopped for fear of messing up the shaft.

Installing a twin stick on my truck and we're dead in the water if we can't get the front output off.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ouch... that sucks... :(

Try a bigger breaker bar? :dunno:

You said you tried cutting. Wha'd you use? Maybe a dremel would be good since you can control it fairly well. Just cut it enought to where you can get a chisel in the crack on then strile that with a hammer. Hopefully that'll get a hairline crack in the nut and you can get it off. Be careful though..

Good luck, man. That twin stick is gonna be sweet! :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had to replace the front output seal on my 97 a couple weeks ago and that nut was the hardest fastener I have ever had to remove. It looks like like you have the staked part taken care of it though from the picture you posted. Just so you know I had to use a 2ft 1/2 drive breaker bar with a 4 ft cheater bar and put it all the way over out the passenger side of the truck and put a floor jack under the socket so it couldnt wobble off, then I had to JUMP on it to break it loose. Make sure you get someone to stay inside the truck with it on and just ahve them stand on the bakes. Oh yeah and the threads of the nut are coated with loctite from the factory so that keeps it on there that much better.

Definatly get a 1/2 breaker bar!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
1/2" breaker bar with a cheater bar on top of it. You may have to put two holes in a piece of flat bar and bolt it to the flange and use that to immobilize the flange.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Air Tools.

Any good 1/2" impact will spin that nut right off.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Update, Scuba?

Saw in the "wanted" section that you eff'd up the case... :( What happened?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I would grind some of the material off the nut to weaken it's grip and use an impact gun as Frank suggested.

You said you used heat? Not good man! Never use heat on anything heat treated. Even as little 400-500 degrees can alter the temper in the steel. Many steels are tempered right in that range.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dang.........

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Damn, hope you can make it to KOH!

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
We got the nut off finally. We just weren't hitting it with our purses hard enough.

The case got fucked up when we were putting it back together. The back half now has a 6" crack in it.
which part of the case...I have a spare case you can have.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
I'll drive up to Cloverdale and pick up what I have Sun morning and get stuff Fedexed to you Mon morning. Looking at the FSM, however, it may be a fairly complicated job.
As I said on the phone, my spare case is in pieces :p

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll drive up to Cloverdale and pick up what I have Sun morning and get stuff Fedexed to you Mon morning. Looking at the FSM, however, it may be a fairly complicated job.
As I said on the phone, my spare case is in pieces :p
Actually from what it looks like, we basically have my transfer case torn down that far as is. It would just be a couple small steps and we'd have my 'guts' on the new case half.
I do however have a line on a case from sasaholic. Just need to get it down here.
I'll still take that rear cover from you though. I appreciate your help!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
holy smokes...
were you using a BFH in attempt to re-seat the case halves ? :eek:

I don't remember seeing this in Dicks write up :confused:

I'll need to remember... not to let you work on muh junk :flipoff4:

Hope you get 'er all back together...
without farking up anything else :p

You know I'm just giving you a hard time :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts