TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '06 Dbl cab 4x4 sport. I have an ARB front bumper and was wondering what was the best winch for the rig. I am an outfitter hunting/fishing guide that mostly wheels on goat trails. I don't do any hard core off road rock climbing and mud bogging etc. But I do take clients with me and it really sucks when you get stuck. Therefore, I need a winch for security and dependability, and not so much for speed and competition. The truck has Donahoe coil overs and shocks, OME Dakar springs, and I'm running BFG Mud Terrains. I usually have 500-600 lbs of gear with me. I tried searching for info. on the T Max winches, but found nothing. Are they any good? Has anyone used them and put them thru their paces? My other truck had Warns front and back, and I never had a problem with them. The TMax winches are priced way cheaper, so if they were any good it would be tempting to save the dosh and put it towards a better rear bumper. Thanks in advance for any insight you could shed.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
i have the ew9000 and it has been great for me. the only issue i have had so far is the clutch to let the line free spool stopped working after the first time i used it, not that big of a deal, just have to use the controller to let the line out. but i have def put it though hell and it seems to be holding up

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I am not sure of your knowledge on winches. Therefore if my first comment is beneath you, please ignore it as I am only trying to help.

The first rule of thumb on deciding on which winch to purchase should be the weight rating of the winch. It should be at LEAST 1 1/2 times the weight of the vehicle it is being mounted on. This is not the advertised weight as seen on the window sticker as it sat at the dealership. Most tacomas weigh in right at 4000lbs. that would mean you would want a minium of a 9000lb winch.

With that said I just purchased a 12000 mile marker (I never said you couldn't use more if you wanted to :D ) It is a bit slow, but overall nice. I recently was able to pull a full size blazer out of a muddy creek bed that was complete dead weight While I was anchored behind a tree against my bumper due to the lack of traction in the mud. (one of the perks of having overkill for a winch.) I don't think a 9000lb'er would have been up to the task alone.

My winch is also cheaper than Warn's of the same size. But it is much slower.

I have a friend that bought a T-max 12000 winch last year after I recommended it to him. The first time out with that winch, it paid for itself in a self-extraction. Since then it pulled my taco up a decent incline, as well as held my truck on the side of hill, in a complex winching that we had to go from a snatch block off a tree saver, back down to my truck via my slider. The Tmax operated flawlessly.

I dont think you could go wrong with either the Tmax or the Mile Marker (just stay away from the hydrolic winches)

hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I tried searching for info. on the T Max winches, but found nothing. Are they any good? Has anyone used them and put them thru their paces?
Type in "winch" in the search. There is 25 pages with 500 threads. Lots of good reading. Just read?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I have an '06 Dbl cab 4x4 sport. I have an ARB front bumper and was wondering what was the best winch for the rig. I am an outfitter hunting/fishing guide that mostly wheels on goat trails. I don't do any hard core off road rock climbing and mud bogging etc. But I do take clients with me and it really sucks when you get stuck. Therefore, I need a winch for security and dependability, and not so much for speed and competition. The truck has Donahoe coil overs and shocks, OME Dakar springs, and I'm running BFG Mud Terrains. I usually have 500-600 lbs of gear with me. I tried searching for info. on the T Max winches, but found nothing. Are they any good? Has anyone used them and put them thru their paces? My other truck had Warns front and back, and I never had a problem with them. The TMax winches are priced way cheaper, so if they were any good it would be tempting to save the dosh and put it towards a better rear bumper. Thanks in advance for any insight you could shed.
If you do go with T-Max... buy it from Summit, they are the EXACT same winch with Summit decals at a cheaper price. They don't bother to change the manuals from T-Max to Summit. I'm waiting to see how a buddies 10K does before I buy one. Its either a Warn XP9500, XD9000 or the tired and true M8000 if the T-max/summit winch doesn't pan out.

I have a 9500lb Mile Marker winch. It is beyond slow pulling 3500-4000lbs (1985 toy pickup) I've repacked the gear box on it and I have still taken teeth off a couple gears in it. I've worked this winch hard, but I don't think a winch should have missing teeth after a dozen pulls. Its never gotten hot enough where I couldn't hold my hand on the winch. The solenoids and controller leave a lot to be desired also.

:2cents:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I'll order a 9000 lbs T Max, and let you all know how it performs.
You will be happy with it...I have the same winch,I upgraded the line to a Master Pull synthetic though.T-max has great customer service also...I recently thought one of my solenoids went bad....after 5 minutes with them I had one in 3 days.....turned out to be a bad connection so I have a spare now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
So how did the thing fit in the Arb bumper? I think UPS is dropping mine off today.

·
Registered
883 Posts
^^curious on that aswell. when i got my bumper it said that it would only fit warn winches. how much modding needs to be done to fit a different type of winch safely?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Here is some good reading for you:
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87456 (Search, noob! :D )

I love my Superwinch EPi9.0!

An article came out a while back where an independent winch evaluation was done in Moab earlier this year. They took like 12 different winches and threw everything they could at them over a few day period.

When the test was over there were only 3 winches left alive - Chicago Electric, Warn & Superwinch. They rated the Warn as the #1 only because it has a better warranty, but the Superwinch cost less, draws less amps, and has faster line speed.

>>>>"Winches in Hell"<<<<
(The Article)​

I got my winch in a package deal for $850 and it came with:
  • The winch
  • The remote
  • 100' of Viking synthetic line
  • Aluminum Hawse fairlead
  • Snatch Block
  • Your choice of hook/thimble

·
Registered
270 Posts
i have two warn m8000, single cab and double cab tacos, love em, tractor supply has them pretty cheap, or cheapest ive found. the tmax essentially is a warn just an entry model for those that can't afford the warns, my buddy has the 9000 tmax on his jeep cherokee and likes it alot no clutch problems as listed above, pulls good but somewhat slow. if your looking for higher line speed there is a warn m8274 for sale in the classifieds for 500. it is a good winch and that is a great price on it too, used to have one on a bronco and damn did it work good. but an 8000 should be plenty, i have pulled out f250 dually, dodge 2500, chevy 1500 on 37s, and a bobcat, stuck to the frame in a swampy area, yanked em all out and didn't get stuck doin it. all the guys there now own toyotas.:D

·
Registered
597 Posts
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43188

i love this winch it works awesome and has never let me down, have the wireless remote too and that is awesome. now i think they have a wireless joystick too. they fit in arb's you have to clock them just like any other winch, its pretty easy to do just make sure you have your manual with the blown up gear diagram.

summit is the exact same winch and they even sell the tmax recovery kits labled summit, my summit recover kit just had a summit sticker over the tmax on the bag and so did my wireless remote i ordered from summit:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
The ARB bumper for your model year was made to house these winches. The XD-9000, M-8000, and the M-6000, which all are made by warn. I am sure you can mount another brand inside the bumper, but make sure the one that allows you to mount the power pack anywhere you choose are you will be screwed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Type in "winch" in the search. There is 25 pages with 500 threads. Lots of good reading. Just read?

Ya but all the information is useless. This guys question was custom to his needs not smoeone else. Thanks for your input, really helped solve the question!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts