TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my prob. i have a 99 taco 4x4 with 3in susp lift and 2in body. reg cab w/o abs. now at first i never raised my brake proportion valve bar when i did the lift. but my brakes were just fine at the time. then i got around to raising it only a 1in. but once agian still fine then one night i went to come to a fast stop the rear wheels locked up. and ever since then they done it. so i then lowered the bar and cleaned my brake shoes and all that jaz to help fix the prob. still nothing. the pedal feels like it should ,doesnt go to the floor before it does somthing. i just dont have any front brakes. what is the problem, i feel it is the master cylinder, but then agian it could be the proportion valve going bad IDK... please help i need to drive this thing to work tuesday...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
For every inch of suspension lift, you should adjust the BPV the same amount. If you arent sure if its correct, go to a deserted road and hit the brakes hard doing 30mph or so. If the backs lock up, back the BPV down, and if the back feels soft, adjust it up some.

If your front wheels are failing to do anything, I dont think its the BPV. It mostly deals with the rear brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, have you heard of a button on top of the bpv to reset it, a guy at advanced auto told me it had one and needed to be reset. it doesnt matter if iam on the road or not you give it a medium amount of pedal and it just locks the rears and front dont do crap... also i went for a long time before i even adjusted the bpv. and it was fine then, then i got around to doing it and still went a while and no prob. but one day i had to stop fast and the rears decided to lock up.. thats why i feel it is a master cyl. but dont wanna pay 80.00 and find out that was not it.... just wanted to know if any one else has had the same prob. and what they did to remindy the problem..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also when you move the bpv bar that connects to the axle up towards the bed what should the rear brakes then do????? and what in the opposite direction???

·
Registered
149 Posts
07raptorgytr said:
also when you move the bpv bar that connects to the axle up towards the bed what should the rear brakes then do????? and what in the opposite direction???
As the bar moves up, more brake force is applied to the rear (more weight it the bed). Opposite direction=less

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k, i believe it is the master cyl. now will a master cyl from 95.5 and up work if i were to go to a junk yard and get one to try?? or just the 99 will work?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts