TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here is the final pics and licence plate light

The licence plate light is a LED strip from sadly, walmart. I mounted it on a thin piece of stainless steel. Just cut it to fit the backside of the flip up plate then super glued it into position. The LED had 3M tape on the back so it just stuck into position. Its pretty bright.

I think thats about it. Time to go get it dirty

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
wow very nice job, and the designs look good!

Out of curiosity, how much did bumpers and skids cost to do all this on your own? Laser cutting and powder coating included?

·
Registered
843 Posts
wow very nice job, and the designs look good!

Out of curiosity, how much did bumpers and skids cost to do all this on your own? Laser cutting and powder coating included?
I second that. The tips and design are helping me design my own but cost will definitely be a factor as to when I can do this.

Excellent work! This is what I'm after. A sturdy set of armor that doesn't look too flashy. Plus seeing the process helps develop ideas. I appreciate this a lot!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok so I'm not at home right now so I don't have the receipts for the powder coating but the laser prices were like this
Skids $218.75
Frt bumper $318.72
Rear bumper $381.53
So that's all in canadian and stuff is pricy here so you could probably get it done cheaper. It was all done in SA36 hot roll plate. The other prices were the turn signals for the front about $45 each and the front hoop which I got free. Rear there was all tubing for the hitch which I can't remember and the side hoops that I got bent up by a local shop. They were too expensive for what I was getting. Find a friend with a bender....
Skids were just spray bombed with etching primer and black tremclad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow! those are some of the nicest looking first gen bumpers ive seen! well done sir!
ive been scouring the internet for ideas for my own set of bumpers, and you just made my day!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Glad i could help with other peoples build process. That was the whole point in documenting it so i'm glad its useful. Especially because using CAD for this kinda stuff is still a little uncommon at least to home fabricators. If you've got specific questions shoot and i'll try to answer.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Glad i could help with other peoples build process. That was the whole point in documenting it so i'm glad its useful. Especially because using CAD for this kinda stuff is still a little uncommon at least to home fabricators. If you've got specific questions shoot and i'll try to answer.
I started using Google sketch to help give me an idea of how much material I would need for a given project and it helps a lot. I hadn't thought about using it for laser cutting though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yea the ability to plan out every detail before cutting anything is huge. Although there is always the danger that what is in the computer is way off in reality. Once you send in those files to be cut there is no turning back. Thats why the wood mock up is so critical. It lets you see what your project looks like but its also a test of how everything fits together in the real world. I had it a few times where what i had in the computer hit the rad support or body so i had to go back and tweek it then cut a new wood part. I used the weight calculator a bunch to see where the bumpers were at with different changes. Geomagic gives out a bunch of info in the same calculator like weight, volume, center of gravity, etc. Theres lots of other stuff you can link to with CAD programs. Laser, plasma, or water jet is sweet but you could also export similar files to a 3D printer or a CNC mill. It depends what sketch up exports file wise. For the 3D stuff you need .stl files or something else the CAM programs can read.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thought i would throw this out there.

I've currently given out the plans for the front bumper in this thread to a few people. So i have available the plans to cut out the pieces for the front.

Here is the deal
This is not a step by step set of plans just the Autocad files to cut out the parts and a cutting list. These can be read with a free Autocad 2007 reader. I do have the .stl file of the whole bumper but you need a cad program that can read it.

I am not a pro so some fitting and adjustment is definitely necessary.

These are for non commercial use to help the garage builder type of person.

As of this post no one has to my knowledge cut out a set of these parts yet. So if someone does you get to be the guinea pig for the rest. If you do cut these out/build one from these plans post up how it goes. Especially if you decide to change things cause it would be cool to see what people come up with.

If anyone wants these PM me.

Patrick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone. Been trying to make a bumper as well. Just started school and getting a hold of the drawings (dimensions) would help a lot obviously. I got access to everything so I can't wait to start.
PMed Sailntaco but if anyone has em that could help let me know thanks. Will make a thread when I start.
[email protected]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Be careful making a bumper purely from drawings. Paper to fabbing isn't normally a perfect transition.
Thanks for the heads up. I have a 2003 Tacoma so I'm being careful either way. I'm going to water jet out most of it using a cheap thin wood I can get for free and make adjustments from there

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Frenchtaco
Sorry I havn't gotten back to you but ì'm at sea right now in the Canadian Arctic so the internet sucks and there is no WIFI/cell coverage. It took me 15min just to get this page loaded. I'll be back into coverage in a week or so and i'll try to get something sent to you. Kyle makes a good point and thats why i used 3/16'' cheap plywood from Home Depot for all my mock up. No need for waterjet or laser for that i just used a jigsaw, cordless drill and a pencil.

Patrick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Frenchtaco
Sorry I havn't gotten back to you but ì'm at sea right now in the Canadian Arctic so the internet sucks and there is no WIFI/cell coverage. It took me 15min just to get this page loaded. I'll be back into coverage in a week or so and i'll try to get something sent to you. Kyle makes a good point and thats why i used 3/16'' cheap plywood from Home Depot for all my mock up. No need for waterjet or laser for that i just used a jigsaw, cordless drill and a pencil.

Patrick
Canadian Arctic sea... Sounds very interesting haha.

Well thank you for taking the time to respond in those conditions.
I have access to a waterjet at work so I figured it would go faster than doing it by hand!
I think PDF flat pattern or any cad file you have would be great. If its in 2d I can always make my own 3d file using that as a reference.
I cant wait to hear back from you.

Good luck with your adventures
Francois

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yea we were taking cargo and mining supplies (including 10 shipping containers of dynamite) to a gold mine in Baker Lake, Nunavut. Google it. Its in the middle of no where.

All the drawings are in Autocad DXF 2007. I can and have sent out a drawings in other formats but dxf is easiest. I have the .stl 3D drawing for everything too. I'll send it out later today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yea we were taking cargo and mining supplies (including 10 shipping containers of dynamite) to a gold mine in Baker Lake, Nunavut. Google it. Its in the middle of no where.

All the drawings are in Autocad DXF 2007. I can and have sent out a drawings in other formats but dxf is easiest. I have the .stl 3D drawing for everything too. I'll send it out later today.
Hey man!!

Just to give you an update. Time flies. Converted my truck to 4wd. HAvent touched the bumper stuff.
Coworker started the build. I gave him the files. Did small mods to the DXF file because he will not be using a winch.

I'm super slammed in school right now but I'm putting all your 2d dxf files into solidworks and assembling it all in my own 3d assembly so I can do some custom mods before I cut it out.

Updates will take a long time cus I wont be free till december ish.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
15 Participants
Frenchtaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing