TTORA Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hey man!!

Just to give you an update. Time flies. Converted my truck to 4wd. HAvent touched the bumper stuff.
Coworker started the build. I gave him the files. Did small mods to the DXF file because he will not be using a winch.

I'm super slammed in school right now but I'm putting all your 2d dxf files into solidworks and assembling it all in my own 3d assembly so I can do some custom mods before I cut it out.

Updates will take a long time cus I wont be free till december ish.
Cool cool. Post some pics when you start building. Just pulled the bumper off after 2 years to overhaul the M8000. Since your modifying it already take a look at the clearance on the bolts that hold the winch down. On mine the front ones are a royal pain in the ass to get out. Its super tight. Other than that everything seems to be holding up well. Gotta modify the rear bumper mud flap attachment though. I've smashed those on rocks a bunch.

Anyone else build one of these yet?

Patrick

·
Registered
18 Posts
My coworker's truck is in red.
He did not want a winch so he made some small modifications. Shortened the top plate so it wouldn't stick out as much and put in some holes for his OEM signals.

Mine is the lunar mist truck. Right now I have it all in cardboard as I have changed some things from your design. I will go through with cutting it out soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very cool! Glad you guys could make use of the CAD stuff as at least a basis for what you wanted.
Oh your files were a huge help.
I didn't have to spend all the time you did making sure the mounting locations and the top plate of the bumper would fit well.
That saved me a ton of time! Very appreciated.
I will build the bumper soon. Juggling school and a lot of things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it possible to get the CAD file from either Frenchtaco or Sail'n Taco. I have a laser here too that I would like to cut out a bumper for my truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
strange was clearing out my bookmarks when i came across this thread i had viewed a few months back the pics were shown now all i get is the photobucket 3rd party hosting b.s. anyone want to chime in i am loged onto a photobucket account

·
Registered
2 Posts
photobucket now charges for 3rd party hosting. So if the pictures were put up before that happened, then the links appear dead.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yea sorry i just got the msg about photobucket the other day and havn't had time to fix it. Thanks photobucket you jerks!

Update.
Everything is still working well on the truck. Lots of winch pulls made and its been bumped and smacked into a bunch of stuff. Had to take the winch out for a rebuild a month back and that was a bit of a pain. If your building this just be careful about the level of the winch plate.
I would suggest to anybody building the skids to use cold roll steel plate. Mine was hot roll and has worked ok but i really slammed it down on the area right under the trans and there is a small dent. If your not on a super tight budget then get cold roll for all of these. Way nicer to weld and stronger.
Other than that it works great.

Patrick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Patrick.

Like you know, I went off your design. Changed the outside of the bumper but kept the winch plate and mounting pretty much the same.
Here is a little FEA analysis I did on my free time. This is for a 10,000 lb pull.
The red zone indicates a displacement of .030". Which is very little.
In the strain plot using a36 steel, the bumper seems to hold up at the mounting holes. There is one red spot that goes over the yield strength, but I believe that's an issue with the meshing.

Anyways, when I get some more free time I'll keep playing with it.
Its good to hear that the winching has been going well as theres only so much computer can tell me lol.
I have the bumper done but it no winch on it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey Patrick.

Like you know, I went off your design. Changed the outside of the bumper but kept the winch plate and mounting pretty much the same.
Here is a little FEA analysis I did on my free time. This is for a 10,000 lb pull.
The red zone indicates a displacement of .030". Which is very little.
In the strain plot using a36 steel, the bumper seems to hold up at the mounting holes. There is one red spot that goes over the yield strength, but I believe that's an issue with the meshing.

Anyways, when I get some more free time I'll keep playing with it.
Its good to hear that the winching has been going well as theres only so much computer can tell me lol.
I have the bumper done but it no winch on it yet.
Whoa cool! I always wondered what FEA would say about the bumper. Idk much about how the program works though.
Want to do the same thing for the rear? I just towed a 12,000lb RV with a dead transmission 30 miles up a hill in Nevada.

Patrick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Cool design you have there. Anyway, any updates?
Well it all still works pretty well. Winched lots with the front bumper without any issues but so far its only been pulling my truck up some steep rocky hills and easy pulls of smaller trucks out of mud. Only sorta issue is that its tight around the winch so its a bit of a pain to pull it out for maintenance.
Rear has been good. Its been dragged over lots of stuff. Glad i cut the 2" receiver at a 45 so it wouldn't hang up on rocks. Need to re do the mudflap supports a bit as i bent one on a rock drop off.
Skid plates continue to take a beating.

I've sent out maybe 12 sets of CAD files but i'm not really keeping track.

Patrick

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice,
I had to make some adjustments for the winch to fit.

I'm going to start on the skid plates. I remembered I have your files.
I think I might slightly modify them to mount like the bud bilt skid at the steering rack.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
15 Participants
Frenchtaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing